* chapter page on right.
@ 2008-07-08 14:08 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2008-07-08 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have set up the \chapter command thus;
\setuphead[chapter][page=right,style={\nimbua},header=high]
....where nimbua is a font.

The chapter head appears on a recto (odd numbered) page as expected
but the verso blank page inserted where necessary before the chapter
head has a running header. It should be blank. I can kludge this up
with a wrapper macro   containing  \ifodd\pageno etc. but it seems
there should be a more Contextish way to handle it.
--
John Culleton

* Re: chapter page on right.
@ 2008-07-08 22:58 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-08 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, John Culleton wrote:

> I have set up the \chapter command thus;
> \setuphead[chapter][page=right,style={\nimbua},header=high]
> ....where nimbua is a font.
>
> The chapter head appears on a recto (odd numbered) page as expected
> but the verso blank page inserted where necessary before the chapter
> head has a running header. It should be blank. I can kludge this up
> with a wrapper macro   containing  \ifodd\pageno etc. but it seems
> there should be a more Contextish way to handle it.

See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles#Truly_empty_pagebreak_before_chapters

Aditya

* Re: chapter page on right.
@ 2008-07-09 13:13   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2008-07-09 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 06:58:32 pm Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, John Culleton wrote:
> > I have set up the \chapter command thus;
> > \setuphead[chapter][page=right,style={\nimbua},header=high]
> > ....where nimbua is a font.
> >
> > The chapter head appears on a recto (odd numbered) page as
> > expected but the verso blank page inserted where necessary before
> > the chapter head has a running header. It should be blank. I can
> > kludge this up with a wrapper macro   containing  \ifodd\pageno
> > etc. but it seems there should be a more Contextish way to handle
> > it.
>
> See
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles#Truly_empty_pagebreak_before_c
>hapters
>
> Aditya

That does it. Thanks very much.  I will only suggest that since a
blank page needs neither header nor footer that this fix be included
some way in Context itself, so that every time a blank page is
generated automatically it is shorn of these items. That is the usual
practice in book layout according to my references.

--
John Culleton

* Re: chapter page on right.
@ 2008-07-09 13:25     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-09 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:13 PM, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 July 2008 06:58:32 pm Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, John Culleton wrote:
>> > I have set up the \chapter command thus;
>> > \setuphead[chapter][page=right,style={\nimbua},header=high]
>> > ....where nimbua is a font.
>> >
>> > The chapter head appears on a recto (odd numbered) page as
>> > expected but the verso blank page inserted where necessary before
>> > the chapter head has a running header. It should be blank. I can
>> > kludge this up with a wrapper macro   containing  \ifodd\pageno
>> > etc. but it seems there should be a more Contextish way to handle
>> > it.
>>
>> See
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles#Truly_empty_pagebreak_before_c
>>hapters
>>
>> Aditya
>
> That does it. Thanks very much.  I will only suggest that since a
> blank page needs neither header nor footer that this fix be included
> some way in Context itself, so that every time a blank page is
> generated automatically it is shorn of these items. That is the usual
> practice in book layout according to my references.

\definepagebreak is a normal ConTeXt and not a fix, you could also
use the values in \setuphead without the intermediate way.

\setuphead[chapter][page={yes,header,footer,right}]

Wolfgang

* Re: chapter page on right.
@ 2008-07-09 13:30     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-09 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton wrote:
> That does it. Thanks very much.  I will only suggest that since a
> blank page needs neither header nor footer that this fix be included
> some way in Context itself, so that every time a blank page is
> generated automatically it is shorn of these items. That is the usual
> practice in book layout according to my references.

In my experience, in educational settings there often are headings and
footers on such empty pages, so that it is absolutely clear that it was
not a printing error. YMMV.

Best wishes,
Taco