* Using free Lucida, MinionPro and MyriadPro
@ 2008-07-06 23:26 abbg770
From: abbg770 @ 2008-07-06 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

Anyone tried using the MinionPro or MyriadPro thats ships with Adobe Reader
8?

$ tree /opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Font/
/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Font/
|-- AdobePiStd.otf
|-- CourierStd-Bold.otf
|-- CourierStd-BoldOblique.otf
|-- CourierStd-Oblique.otf
|-- CourierStd.otf
|-- MinionPro-Bold.otf
|-- MinionPro-BoldIt.otf
|-- MinionPro-It.otf
|-- MinionPro-Regular.otf
|-- MyriadPro-Bold.otf
|-- MyriadPro-BoldIt.otf
|-- MyriadPro-It.otf
|-- MyriadPro-Regular.otf
|-- PFM
|   |-- SY______.PFM
|   |-- zx______.pfm
|   `-- zy______.pfm
|-- SY______.PFB
|-- ZX______.PFB
`-- ZY______.PFB

1 directory, 19 files

If you happen to use Java you might have noticed that it comes with Lucida
aswell

$ tree /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/fonts/
/opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/fonts/
|-- LucidaBrightDemiBold.ttf
|-- LucidaBrightDemiItalic.ttf
|-- LucidaBrightItalic.ttf
|-- LucidaBrightRegular.ttf
|-- LucidaSansDemiBold.ttf
|-- LucidaSansRegular.ttf
|-- LucidaTypewriterBold.ttf
|-- LucidaTypewriterRegular.ttf
`-- fonts.dir

0 directories, 9 files

and

$ tree /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/oblique-fonts/
/opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/oblique-fonts/
|-- LucidaSansDemiOblique.ttf
|-- LucidaSansOblique.ttf
|-- LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique.ttf
|-- LucidaTypewriterOblique.ttf
`-- fonts.dir

0 directories, 5 files

Can someone enlighten me with the legal issues surrounding the use of these
fonts i.e., whether I can use them to typeset a thesis etc. If it's
perfectly ok, I'd assume someone has written an article describing how I'd
configure ConTeXt to use them. If you so happen to have the link, please
post it.

And a question directed to the developers, why didn't you chose 'ConTeX',
google doesn't like 'ConTeXt' it gets confused. I'm pretty sure users have
noticed this.

--
Thanks
Mohamed Bana

* Re: Using free Lucida, MinionPro and MyriadPro
@ 2008-07-06 23:34 ` Diego Depaoli
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2008-07-06 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/7/7  <abbg770@city.ac.uk>:

> And a question directed to the developers, why didn't you chose 'ConTeX',
> google doesn't like 'ConTeXt' it gets confused. I'm pretty sure users have
> noticed this.
In the wiki's homepage there is a Google custom search box (special
search) which looks only for the right ConTeXt.
Try it!

Regards

--
Diego Depaoli

* Re: Using free Lucida, MinionPro and MyriadPro
@ 2008-07-10  1:39 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-07-10  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

 <abbg770 <at> city.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone tried using the MinionPro or MyriadPro thats ships with Adobe Reader
> 8?
>
> $ tree /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/fonts/
> /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/fonts/
> |-- LucidaBrightDemiBold.ttf
> |-- LucidaBrightDemiItalic.ttf
> |-- LucidaBrightItalic.ttf
> |-- LucidaBrightRegular.ttf
> |-- LucidaSansDemiBold.ttf
> |-- LucidaSansRegular.ttf
> |-- LucidaTypewriterBold.ttf
> |-- LucidaTypewriterRegular.ttf
> `-- fonts.dir
>
> $ tree /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/oblique-fonts/
> /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/oblique-fonts/
> |-- LucidaSansDemiOblique.ttf
> |-- LucidaSansOblique.ttf
> |-- LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique.ttf
> |-- LucidaTypewriterOblique.ttf
> `-- fonts.dir
>
> 0 directories, 5 files

Assuming I've got

\loadmapfile[texnansi-bandh-lucida.map]

\definefontsynonym[LucidaBright-Demi]
[texnansi-LucidaBrightDemiBold][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaBright-DemiItalic]
[texnansi-LucidaBrightDemiItalic][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaBright-Italic]
[texnansi-LucidaBrightItalic][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaBright]
[texnansi-LucidaBrightRegular][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-Demi]
[texnansi-LucidaSansDemiBold][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-DemiOblique]
[texnansi-LucidaSansDemiOblique][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-Oblique]
[texnansi-LucidaSansOblique][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans]
[texnansi-LucidaSansRegular][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-TypewriterBold]
[texnansi-LucidaTypewriterBold][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-TypewriterBoldOblique]
[texnansi-LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-TypewriterOblique]
[texnansi-LucidaTypewriterOblique][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[LucidaSans-Typewriter]
[texnansi-LucidaTypewriterRegular][encoding=texnansi]

How would the typscript file be defined?

Thanks

* Re: Using free Lucida, MinionPro and MyriadPro
@ 2008-07-10  6:44   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-10  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mohamed Bana wrote:
>  <abbg770 <at> city.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anyone tried using the MinionPro or MyriadPro thats ships with Adobe Reader
>> 8?
>>
>> $ tree /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/fonts/
>> /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/fonts/
>> |-- LucidaBrightDemiBold.ttf
>> |-- LucidaBrightDemiItalic.ttf
>> |-- LucidaBrightItalic.ttf
>> |-- LucidaBrightRegular.ttf
>> |-- LucidaSansDemiBold.ttf
>> |-- LucidaSansRegular.ttf
>> |-- LucidaTypewriterBold.ttf
>> |-- LucidaTypewriterRegular.ttf
>> `-- fonts.dir
>>
>> $ tree /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/oblique-fonts/
>> /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/oblique-fonts/
>> |-- LucidaSansDemiOblique.ttf
>> |-- LucidaSansOblique.ttf
>> |-- LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique.ttf
>> |-- LucidaTypewriterOblique.ttf
>> `-- fonts.dir
>>
>> 0 directories, 5 files
>
> Assuming I've got

see previous posts on the list ... use xetex or luatex in which case you
need to remap the names but no encodings and map files

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-07-10  7:19   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-10  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 1:34 AM, Diego Depaoli wrote:
> 2008/7/7  <abbg770@city.ac.uk>:
>>
>> And a question directed to the developers, why didn't you chose 'ConTeX',
>> google doesn't like 'ConTeXt' it gets confused. I'm pretty sure users have
>> noticed this.
> In the wiki's homepage there is a Google custom search box (special
> search) which looks only for the right ConTeXt.
> Try it!

Apart from what Diego already told you (to use the searchbox on wiki
or add site:contextgarden.net when searching) - just convince the
LaTeX community to change name and ConTeXt will follow. :)

Mojca