* \placebookmarks: opening with only topmost levels visible
@ 2008-07-09 21:06 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2008-07-09 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>From this minimal example, the resulting PDF file opens with chapter and
section bookmarks.  But it should open with just chapter bookmarks due
to the second argument in this line:

\placebookmarks
   [chapter,section]
   [chapter]

The problem is mentioned on the wiki
<http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF_Bookmarks_and_Headers> and I wasn't
able to solve it by looking over the bookmark code in core-int.tex.

I tried the example, with the same results, using Mk II 2008.05.21 (on
my Debian i386 laptop), Mk II 2008.07.07 (live.contextgarden.net), and
live Luatex.

Any ideas?  Should I post an issue on the tracker, just for reference?

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
\placebookmarks
   [chapter,section]
   [chapter]

\starttext

\chapter{One}

\section{One A}
\input tufte

\section{One B}
\input knuth

\stoptext

* Re: \placebookmarks: opening with only topmost levels visible
@ 2008-07-10 10:23 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-10 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mit.edu> wrote:
> >From this minimal example, the resulting PDF file opens with chapter and
> section bookmarks.  But it should open with just chapter bookmarks due
> to the second argument in this line:
>
> \placebookmarks
>   [chapter,section]
>   [chapter]

\placebookmarks
  [chapter,section]

> The problem is mentioned on the wiki
> <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF_Bookmarks_and_Headers> and I wasn't
> able to solve it by looking over the bookmark code in core-int.tex.
>
> I tried the example, with the same results, using Mk II 2008.05.21 (on
> my Debian i386 laptop), Mk II 2008.07.07 (live.contextgarden.net), and
> live Luatex.
>
> Any ideas?  Should I post an issue on the tracker, just for reference?
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start]
> \setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
> \placebookmarks
>   [chapter,section]
>   [chapter]
>
> \starttext
>
> \chapter{One}
>
> \section{One A}
> \input tufte
>
> \section{One B}
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \placebookmarks: opening with only topmost levels visible
@ 2008-07-10 12:44   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2008-07-10 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > \placebookmarks
> >   [chapter,section]
> >   [chapter]
>
> \placebookmarks
>   [chapter,section]

That's true meaning that my minimal example was too minimal!
Giving no argument works here is that the default, i.e. with no second
argument to \placebookmarks, is to show the topmost level.

But if you have chapters, sections, and subsections but want to show
only chapter and section bookmarks, then

  \placebookmarks[chapter,section,subsection][chapter,section]

should work but it shows all three levels.

Here is a new minimal example showing the problem.  With the
[chapter,section] second argument, all three levels of bookmarks are
shown; without the second argument, only the first level is shown.  How
do you show two levels?

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
\placebookmarks
   [chapter,section,subsection]
   [chapter,section]

\starttext

\chapter{One}

\section{One A}
\input tufte

\subsection{One A A}

@ 2008-07-10 13:11     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-10 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mit.edu> wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> > \placebookmarks
>> >   [chapter,section]
>> >   [chapter]
>>
>> \placebookmarks
>>   [chapter,section]
>
> That's true meaning that my minimal example was too minimal!
> Giving no argument works here is that the default, i.e. with no second
> argument to \placebookmarks, is to show the topmost level.
>
> But if you have chapters, sections, and subsections but want to show
> only chapter and section bookmarks, then
>
>  \placebookmarks[chapter,section,subsection][chapter,section]

\placebookmarks
  [chapter,section,subsection]
  [chapter,section]

> should work but it shows all three levels.

What do you expect, you open the chater *and* the section branches.

> Here is a new minimal example showing the problem.  With the
> [chapter,section] second argument, all three levels of bookmarks are
> shown; without the second argument, only the first level is shown.  How
> do you show two levels?
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start]
> \setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
> \placebookmarks
>   [chapter,section,subsection]
>   [chapter,section]
>
> \starttext
>
> \chapter{One}
>
> \section{One A}
> \input tufte
>
> \subsection{One A A}
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \placebookmarks: opening with only topmost levels visible
@ 2008-07-10 14:09     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-10 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> But if you have chapters, sections, and subsections but want to show
> only chapter and section bookmarks, then
>
>   \placebookmarks[chapter,section,subsection][chapter,section]
>
> should work but it shows all three levels.

This opens up two levels (hence showing three levels). I have fixed
the wiki page.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: \placebookmarks: opening with only topmost levels visible
@ 2008-07-10 15:06       ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2008-07-10 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> \placebookmarks
>   [chapter,section,subsection]
>   [chapter,section]
>
> > should work but it shows all three levels.
>
> What do you expect, you open the chater *and* the section branches.

Thanks, now I understand what the second argument means: It's not "what
levels are displayed" but is rather "what levels are opened (thereby
showing the level below)".

So, in order to show two levels (chapter and section):

  \placebookmarks
    [chapter,section,subsection]
    [chapter]

I'll fix the wiki page.  Too late: I just logged in to edit the page and
saw that the new page has the clarificiation.  Thanks, Taco!  I edited
the texshow-web entry for \placebookmarks.

For the record, here's a complete example for showing chapter and
section bookmarks:

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
\placebookmarks
   [chapter,section,subsection]
   [chapter]

\starttext