* last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-13 17:14 Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-13 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

the last beta is not working on my Mac in MkIV mode.

It start with the problem that context.tex is not found but this
is related to luat-inp.lua, I tried it with the file from the last beta
and context.tex is now found.

Generating the format is nevertheless not possible.

Wolfgang

* Re: last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-13 18:21 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-07-13 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

are you referring to this one?

context version: 2008.07.10 09:58

It works without problems on my Mac.

Thomas

On Jul 13, 2008, at 7:14 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> the last beta is not working on my Mac in MkIV mode.
>
> It start with the problem that context.tex is not found but this
> is related to luat-inp.lua, I tried it with the file from the last
> beta
> and context.tex is now found.
>
> Generating the format is nevertheless not possible.
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-13 19:26   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-13 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.07.2008 um 20:21 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> are you referring to this one?
>
> context version: 2008.07.10 09:58
>
> It works without problems on my Mac.

I found only: 2008.07.10 10:01 but ConTeXt itself gives me:
ConTeXt  ver: 2008.05.21 15:21 MKII  fmt: 2008.7.13  int: english/
english

I tried now the minimals but I have the same problem after I tried to
update
to the last beta, the version in the minimals works (it's the one you
mentioned
above).

Here is the message I get when I try to generate the format.

Rover:TeX wolf$ context --make
MtxRun | running command: luatools --make --compile cont-en
LuaTools | creating initialization file: cont-en
LuaTools | using library path: /usr/local/tex/tex/texmf-context/tex/
context/base
LuaTools | using lua libraries: l-string.lua l-lpeg.lua l-table.lua l-
boolean.lua l-number.lua l-set.lua l-unicode.lua l-md5.lua l-os.lua l-
io.lua l-file.lua l-url.lua l-dir.lua l-utils.lua l-dimen.lua luat-
lib.lua luat-inp.lua luat-env.lua luat-tmp.lua luat-zip.lua luat-tex.lua
LuaTools | using compiled initialization file: cont-en.luc
LuaTools | using lua initialization file: cont-en.luc
LuaTools | running command: luatex --ini --lua="cont-en.luc" "/usr/
local/tex/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-en.tex" \\dump

<<error unable to locate texmfcnf.lua>>
<<skipping configuration for /usr/local/tex/tex/texmf/web2c from /
Users/wolf/luatex-cache/context/a50b4d62f51ea3bec4118902d6473fe1/trees/
feab6ca835dcf177f3fd88c2af903a36>>(/usr/local/tex/tex/texmf-context/
tex/context/base/cont-en.tex
! I can't find file `context.tex'.
l.16 \input context.tex

Please type another input file name:

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-13 20:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-13 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> the last beta is not working on my Mac in MkIV mode.
>
> It start with the problem that context.tex is not found but this
> is related to luat-inp.lua, I tried it with the file from the last beta
> and context.tex is now found.
>
> Generating the format is nevertheless not possible.

did you update luatools and mtxrun?

luatoosl --selfupdate
mtxrun --selfupdate

nothing fundamental was changed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-13 20:30   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-13 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.07.2008 um 22:15 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> the last beta is not working on my Mac in MkIV mode.
>>
>> It start with the problem that context.tex is not found but this
>> is related to luat-inp.lua, I tried it with the file from the last
>> beta
>> and context.tex is now found.
>>
>> Generating the format is nevertheless not possible.
>
> did you update luatools and mtxrun?
>
> luatoosl --selfupdate
> mtxrun --selfupdate
>
> nothing fundamental was changed

I used now the release from the minimals (2008.07.10 09:58) and it
works but the one on your page (2008.07.10 10:01) has a problem.

Wolfgang

* Re: last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-13 20:33   ` Oliver Buerschaper
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2008-07-13 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> are you referring to this one?
>
> context version: 2008.07.10 09:58
>
> It works without problems on my Mac.

This version also works on my Mac to the extent that I can make the
format and compile simple files. Sadly, these parts appear to be broken:

- MetaPost graphics
- mtxrun --script fonts --list
- ligatures

Best wishes,
Oliver

* Re: last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-13 20:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-13 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 13.07.2008 um 22:15 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> the last beta is not working on my Mac in MkIV mode.
>>>
>>> It start with the problem that context.tex is not found but this
>>> is related to luat-inp.lua, I tried it with the file from the last
>>> beta
>>> and context.tex is now found.
>>>
>>> Generating the format is nevertheless not possible.
>> did you update luatools and mtxrun?
>>
>> luatoosl --selfupdate
>> mtxrun --selfupdate
>>
>> nothing fundamental was changed
>
> I used now the release from the minimals (2008.07.10 09:58) and it
> works but the one on your page (2008.07.10 10:01) has a problem.

hm, i'll upload a new one then

(we only added support for expanded ~ in configurations and checking for
writability of cache paths)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-13 20:41     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-13 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>> are you referring to this one?
>>
>> context version: 2008.07.10 09:58
>>
>> It works without problems on my Mac.
>
> This version also works on my Mac to the extent that I can make the
> format and compile simple files. Sadly, these parts appear to be broken:
>
> - MetaPost graphics
> - mtxrun --script fonts --list
> - ligatures

hm, none of theswe were touched, so we need examples

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-13 21:46       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-13 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>>>
>> This version also works on my Mac to the extent that I can make the
>> format and compile simple files. Sadly, these parts appear to be broken:
>>
>> - MetaPost graphics
>> - mtxrun --script fonts --list
>> - ligatures
>
> hm, none of theswe were touched, so we need examples

Well, we have uploaded new binaries (mplib) for metapost (before
disappearing for several days). The same problem could have affected
all platforms except for Windows (where I didn't check if Akira has
already added the new library) and PPC (where I didn't try to use the
patch yet).

We have also switched to LuaTeX 0.28.0, so that could be one of the
reasons as well.

Mojca

* Re: last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-14 21:00     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-14 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>> are you referring to this one?
>>
>> context version: 2008.07.10 09:58
>>
>> It works without problems on my Mac.
>
> This version also works on my Mac to the extent that I can make the
> format and compile simple files. Sadly, these parts appear to be broken:
>
> - MetaPost graphics
> - mtxrun --script fonts --list
> - ligatures

Can you please send some examples? Metapost works OK here.

mtxrun --script fonts --list didn't work here either until I ran
luatools --generate (which should happen automatically during update).

Mojca

* Re: last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-20  8:40     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-20  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Oliver,

Your attachments were too big for the mailing list, but I read them
myself. Here is some answers.

Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>> are you referring to this one?
>>
>> context version: 2008.07.10 09:58
>>
>> It works without problems on my Mac.
>
> This version also works on my Mac to the extent that I can make the
> format and compile simple files. Sadly, these parts appear to be broken:
>
> - MetaPost graphics

This is weird (and worrying, Hans vd Meer had problems on the mac too).
The relevant bit of the log is this:

mplib          : making format: metafun.mp, name:
/usr/local/context/2008-07-10-beta/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/b29711f44b226eed93986eab2faeaa2c/formats/cont-en-metafun.mem
mplib          : problems with format: metafun.mp, name:
/usr/local/context/2008-07-10-beta/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/b29711f44b226eed93986eab2faeaa2c/formats/cont-en-metafun.mem

Now, the problem is that mkiv suppresses all of the mpost logging so
we can only guess at what goes wrong. Next week at TUG we will sit down
and try to come up with a way to improve the logging.

> - mtxrun --script fonts --list

You reported:
   ...-10-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-syn.lua:247: attempt
      to index field 'data' (a nil value)

Did you run --reload first? It looks from the code like you can get
that error message if (and only if) there is no font name database yet.

> - ligatures

I just downloaded and checked: there are no ligatures in Delicious, so
this is not mkiv's fault.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: last beta and mkiv
@ 2008-07-20  9:46       ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2008-07-20  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Now, the problem is that mkiv suppresses all of the mpost logging so
> we can only guess at what goes wrong. Next week at TUG we will sit
> down
> and try to come up with a way to improve the logging.

Would it help if I ran mpost separately? Or is this problem related to
ConTeXt integration?

>> - mtxrun --script fonts --list
>
> You reported:
>   ...-10-beta/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-syn.lua:247: attempt
>      to index field 'data' (a nil value)
>
> Did you run --reload first? It looks from the code like you can get
> that error message if (and only if) there is no font name database
> yet.

I thought so. Will have to check this.

>> - ligatures
>
> I just downloaded and checked: there are no ligatures in Delicious, so
> this is not mkiv's fault.

Then I definitely prepared a stupid example … I'm pretty sure I saw
missing ligatures with fonts that actually contain them but wanted to
demonstrate the issue with a free font. Stupid me that I chose the
wrong one … so I'll look into this again and prepare a new example …

Oliver