* installing fonts
@ 2008-07-17 14:12 Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2008-07-17 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

after watching the list for some time, I decided to try luatex. On
ubuntu, I installed the minimals as indicated in
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals (in my home folder)

A simple testfile works with "texmfstart texexec file" (Mk II) and
"context file" (Mk IV).

I then tried to install fonts I use frequently (LinLibertine and Gentium).
I created a "texmf-local" folder and mirrored my previous installation,
i.e.:

texmf-local/fonts/truetype/sil/gentium
texmf-local/fonts/tfm/sil/gentium
texmf-local/fonts/vf/sil/gentium
texmf-local/map/pdftex/context/texnansi-sil-...
texm-local/tex/context/base/type-...

Then: mktexlsr
Result: font not used (with texmfstart texexec file)

I then tried other commands (without expecting much), namely:
mtxrun --selfupdate
luatools --selfupdate
luatools --generate
mtxrun --script font --reload

again, without effect.

I then copied everything into texmf-context and executed the above
commands. Without effect.

Before I provide more details, these questions:

1. I created texmf-local in the hope that it will survive updates. Is
this so?
2. Shouldn't mktexlsr be enough, if you use Mk II? I used this method of
copying fonts from one installation to another before.
3. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for answers, Jörg

* Re: installing fonts
@ 2008-07-17 14:26 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-17 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after watching the list for some time, I decided to try luatex. On
>
> [snip]
>
> 2. Shouldn't mktexlsr be enough, if you use Mk II?

mktexlsr is enough for MkII, but MkII used pdftex and not luatex and using
ttf fonts with MkII is complicated (You need to make tfm files). For using
ttf and otf fonts directly, you need to use MkIV. What happens when you
use luatools --generate, followed by context filename.

Aditya

* Re: installing fonts
@ 2008-07-17 15:15   ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2008-07-17 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Jörg Hagmann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> after watching the list for some time, I decided to try luatex. On
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> 2. Shouldn't mktexlsr be enough, if you use Mk II?
>
> mktexlsr is enough for MkII, but MkII used pdftex and not luatex and
> using ttf fonts with MkII is complicated (You need to make tfm files).
> For using ttf and otf fonts directly, you need to use MkIV. What
> happens when you use luatools --generate, followed by context filename.
Thanks, Aditya. Well, I have the truetype, the vf and the tfm files
(originally generated with texfont) on my previous installation (Mk II
only). Whatever is being used, it works, and I therefore copied
everything to the new installation.

"luatools --generate" followed by "context filename" also gives me latin
modern.

More suggestions?

Jörg

* Re: Installing fonts
@ 2015-04-24 13:50 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2015-04-24 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015, david.boerschlein@juno.com wrote:

> Is there any up-to-date documentation on how to install fonts?  The page
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installing_a_TrueType_font,_step_by_step
> starts out by saying that it is out-of-date.

I typically just add the .ttf fonts in

$TEXMF/fonts/truetype/<font-name>/

and .otf fonts in

$TEXMF/fonts/opentype/<font-name>/

and run

mtxrun --script font --reload

After that, you can use them directly (either the specserif or
\definefontfamily macros).

Aditya

* Re: Installing fonts
@ 2015-04-24 11:58 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-04-24 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 24.04.2015 um 13:49 schrieb david.boerschlein@juno.com:
>
> Is there any up-to-date documentation on how to install fonts?   The page http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installing_a_TrueType_font,_step_by_step starts out by saying that it is out-of-date.

Which system do you use?

Wolfgang

* Installing fonts
@ 2015-04-24 11:49 david.boerschlein
From: david.boerschlein @ 2015-04-24 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Is there any up-to-date documentation on how to install fonts?   The page http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installing_a_TrueType_font,_step_by_step starts out by saying that it is out-of-date.

David Boerschlein
(214) 412-3275 home office land
(585) 278-4687 cell
www.linkedin.com/in/davidboerschlein

* Re: installing fonts...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-01-07 22:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-07 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

At 12:30 AM 1/7/01 +0100, Roef Ragas wrote:

>Let's say I want to buy a font, the Quadraat Sans for example, a goodlooking
>sans serif by Fred Smeijers (www.fontshop.com).
>FontShop can provide those fonts in PostScript. How difficult is it, to use
>fonts like these in ConTeXt?

Others already pointed out some strategies. Maybe we should try to make
this some service somehow.

The complication is mainly in getting the fonts in a suitable encoding. The
standard tex encoding has the accents in funny places, so you can't use
this to make composed chars, and for using the built on composed chars, you
would need for instance a conversion to ec or texnansi encoding [tfm and/or
vf files].

I'm in the process of redefining encoding vectors to use named glyphs and
multiple methods [thanh: remind me that we have to discuss vietnamese!]. I
can provide a simple vector that uses the accents in the standard adobe
positions with composed chars them, which would work for nl/de/fr as a
quick and dirty method.]

What you can try is to copy the content of font-phv.tex to for instance
roef.tex and to replace the Helvetica names with your font names:

\define... [Sans...] [yourname] [encoding=texnansi]

and see what happens when you say

\setupbodyfont[sans,10pt]

abcdef... \"e \"i etc. If the dutch accented chars come out ok, you're
safe. If ii'm right, texnansi encoding is nearly suitable for all standard
fonts.

Otherwise, I should accept thanh's offer to make you suitable ec encoded
tfm files -)

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: installing fonts...
@ 2001-01-07 12:14 ` Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2001-01-07 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Let's say I want to buy a font, the Quadraat Sans for example, a
> goodlooking sans serif by Fred Smeijers (www.fontshop.com).  FontShop can
> provide those fonts in PostScript. How difficult is it, to use fonts like
> these in ConTeXt?

In short, there are two main steps:

1) generate tfm and map file for use with tex + dvips or pdftex. The most
flexible way is to use fontinst (but not the easiest one).

2) make a font definition file for context. It should be easy to make it
based on an existing one.

If you send me the afm's, I can do it for you.

btw, fontinst can generate .fd file for latex nfss. Maybe it would be nice
to have this feature in context? I have a package called plnfss (plain
nfss), which is a simple nfss written in plain for this purpose.

Thanh

* Re: installing fonts...
@ 2001-01-07  9:58   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-01-07  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Johannes,

> I have included in http://www.ruhrau.de/hannes/tex/context-faq.dvi.

Tried it but I got a "file not found" message...

Met hartelijke groet!

Frans
www.goddijn.com

* Re: installing fonts...
@ 2001-01-07  9:26 ` Johannes H?sing
From: Johannes H?sing @ 2001-01-07  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 12:30:27AM +0100, Roef Ragas wrote:

> Let's say I want to buy a font, the Quadraat Sans for example, a goodlooking
> sans serif by Fred Smeijers (www.fontshop.com).

A very nice font indeed.

> FontShop can provide those fonts in PostScript. How difficult is it, to use
> fonts like these in ConTeXt?

It is a pain in the rear if you ask me. It is best to look into the
fontinst manual to see how fontinst can help to build the necessary
metric files and virtual fonts. You might have to define a new
letterpair for yourself for the Quadraat Sans as it is not listed in
the fontname list I have available here (of March '99). The
installation in ConTeXt is outlined in a text by Taco Hoekwater which
I have included in http://www.ruhrau.de/hannes/tex/context-faq.dvi.

Greetings

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing <hannes@ruhrau.de>   /"\  ASCII-Ribbon Campaign
                                     \ /  against HTML in

* Re: installing fonts...
@ 2001-01-07  6:46 ` Frans Goddijn
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-01-07  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I wanted to use my own Times font (also bought at www.fontshop.nl)
including so called "expert sets" with real small caps and old style
numbers, it didn't take Taco very long to produce the necessary files
(font-fg.tex for the bodyfont setup and an fg.map for mapping (whatever
that may be) and .tfm files and maybe even some .vf files.)

I still don't understand much about this font installing even though I
looked at these files often.

So I guess it depends on how much documentation you can find out there. If
you find out more I'd be interested because it might be fun to buy another
font sometime (and be able to actually use it ;-}} )

If I recall correctly Taco used some program (fontmonger?) to look into the
font files to see if all characters were at the places TeX would expect
them to be in and he did some resorting there. He remarked at the time that
my Times fonts had all the extra characters (punctuation, dashes et cetera)
that often are missing in other font files.

I'd say: either have a field trip finding it all out, or try to contact
Taco and be done with it ;-}}}

Groet!

Frans
www.goddijn.com

> Let's say I want to buy a font, the Quadraat Sans for example, a
goodlooking
> sans serif by Fred Smeijers (www.fontshop.com).
> FontShop can provide those fonts in PostScript. How difficult is it, to
use
> fonts like these in ConTeXt?

* installing fonts...
@ 2001-01-06 23:30 Roef Ragas
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Roef Ragas @ 2001-01-06 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Let's say I want to buy a font, the Quadraat Sans for example, a goodlooking
sans serif by Fred Smeijers (www.fontshop.com).
FontShop can provide those fonts in PostScript. How difficult is it, to use
fonts like these in ConTeXt?

--
Roef Ragas
Amsterdam ~ The Netherlands ~ R.Ragas@chello.nl