* Passing unicode characters
@ 2008-07-22 14:48 Mehdi Omidali
From: Mehdi Omidali @ 2008-07-22 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi everyone,
Is it possible to pass a character to another in MKIV, I mean, like
XeTeX in which one can pass one unicode character to another one (this
is done in some mapping files with some lines in it of the form
U+0030 <> U+06F0 )

* Re: Passing unicode characters
@ 2008-07-22 15:23 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2008-07-22 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mehdi,
سلام

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:48:46 -0600, Mehdi Omidali <mehdioa@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Is it possible to pass a character to another in MKIV, I mean, like
> XeTeX in which one can pass one unicode character to another one (this
> is done in some mapping files with some lines in it of the form
> U+0030 <> U+06F0 )

I'm not quite sure I understand you, but there is a mechanism so that you
can write your own feature file with your own gsubs and gposs and then
pass those along to luatex.

This was broken in earlier versions of luatex; seems to be working now --
just checked. See below.

Best wishes
Idris

===============verbose.fea==================
lookup NumericLookupDFLT {
     lookupflag 0 ;
         sub zero  by z e r o ;
         sub one   by o n e ;
         sub two   by t w o ;
         sub three by t h r e e ;
         sub four  by f o u r ;
         sub five  by f i v e ;
         sub six   by s i x ;
         sub seven by s e v e n ;
         sub eight by e i g h t ;
         sub nine  by n i n e ;
} NumericLookupDFLT ;

feature verb {

     script DFLT ;
         language dflt ;
             lookup NumericLookupDFLT ;

     script latn;
         language dflt ;
             lookup NumericLookupDFLT ;
         language AZE exclude_dflt ;
             lookup NumericLookupDFLT ;
         language CRT exclude_dflt ;
             lookup NumericLookupDFLT ;
         language MOL exclude_dflt ;
             lookup NumericLookupDFLT ;
         language ROM exclude_dflt ;
             lookup NumericLookupDFLT ;
         language TRK exclude_dflt ;
             lookup NumericLookupDFLT ;

} verb ;

=================verb.tex===================
% engine=luatex

% \setupoutput[pdftex]

\starttext

\installfontfeature[otf][verb]

\definefontfeature
[test][mode=node,language=dflt,script=latn,verb=yes,featurefile=verbose.fea]

\font\test=lmroman10-regular*test at 20pt

\test 1 2 3 4

\stoptext
International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Passing unicode characters
@ 2008-07-22 16:31   ` Mehdi Omidali
From: Mehdi Omidali @ 2008-07-22 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

ِDear Idris,
سلام
Thank you. I will test that and let you know if it is what I realy
want. And again another problem that I encountered in conversion to
persiannumerals or arabicnumerals. I used an style you offered in one
of your posts and modified it for persian typesetting. I declared
\setuppagenumbering[conversion=persiannumerals]
and unfortunately the page numbering started from zero. The same thing
happens in footnote numbers even thouth I haven't use any conversion
for footnotes. All chapters, sections, and ... numbers starts from
zero. How can I solve this problem. Please see the attached files.
Best regards,

[-- Attachment #2: fcon.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: fcon.tex --]

[-- Attachment #4: far-env.tex --]

* Re: Passing unicode characters
@ 2008-07-22 18:10 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-22 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Mehdi Omidali wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Is it possible to pass a character to another in MKIV, I mean, like
> XeTeX in which one can pass one unicode character to another one (this
> is done in some mapping files with some lines in it of the form
> U+0030 <> U+06F0 )

There definitely is a way, but I don't know why you would want to do
remap numbers on font level. You need such hacks in LaTeX where
changing page numbers is a pain, but I would do that with conversions
in ConTeXt.

"arabic" (starting with U+0660) is already defined. If you need
U+06F0, you might need to do minor modification in core-con.*, but try
with normal arabic first.

\setuppagenumbering
    [conversion=arabicnumerals]

Here are the needed modifications:

core-con.lua:
    ['arabic'] = {
        0x0660, 0x0661, 0x0662, 0x0663, 0x0664,
        0x0665, 0x0666, 0x0667, 0x0668, 0x0669
    },

you need to add the same for extendedarabic
    ['extendedarabic'] = {
        0x0660, 0x0661, 0x0662, 0x0663, 0x0664,
        0x0665, 0x0666, 0x0667, 0x0668, 0x0669
    },

core-con.mkiv:
\def\arabicnumerals    #1{\ctxlua{converters.alphabetic(\number#1,"arabic")}}
\def\extendedarabicnumerals
#1{\ctxlua{converters.alphabetic(\number#1,"extendedarabic")}}

\defineconversion [arabicnumerals]     [\arabicnumerals]
\defineconversion [extendedarabicnumerals]     [\extendedarabicnumerals]

(You also need to modify core-con.mkii if you want the same feature to
be available in XeTeX afterwards.)

And then you should be able to use

\setuppagenumbering
    [conversion=extendedarabicnumerals]

You can also set up itemize to use arabic numbers. What exactly would
you like to do with those numbers? Then you can probably get a more
precise answer.

Mojca

* Re: Passing unicode characters
@ 2008-07-22 18:14   ` Mehdi Omidali
From: Mehdi Omidali @ 2008-07-22 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Idris,
سلام
I tested your file. What I mean is more than that. In your file if I
write 1 then it is printed as one. But I mean something like
conversion command. For example look at the output of your file. The
page number is 1. But what I mean is that engine prints every 1 as one
for example. Let me explain in a different way. I declare
\setupsection [chapter][conversion=persiannumerals]
and the engine puts persiandecimalseparator character "E8C8" between
chapter numbers and section numbers. I am not satisfied with this
character and like the separator character to be a period "002E". In
XeTeX one of the font features is to assign the value of "E8C8" to
"002E". Then the engine automatically prints "002E" whenever it has to
print "E8C8" (except in math mode for which there is a \XeTeXmathcode
command).
Best wishes

@ 2008-07-22 18:40     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-07-22 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:14:30 -0600, Mehdi Omidali <mehdioa@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Idris,
> سلام
> I tested your file. What I mean is more than that. In your file if I
> write 1 then it is printed as one. But I mean something like
> conversion command. For example look at the output of your file. The
> page number is 1. But what I mean is that engine prints every 1 as one
> for example. Let me explain in a different way. I declare
> \setupsection [chapter][conversion=persiannumerals]
> and the engine puts persiandecimalseparator character "E8C8" between
> chapter numbers and section numbers. I am not satisfied with this
> character and like the separator character to be a period "002E". In
> XeTeX one of the font features is to assign the value of "E8C8" to
> "002E". Then the engine automatically prints "002E" whenever it has to
> print "E8C8" (except in math mode for which there is a \XeTeXmathcode
> command).

سلام Mehdi,

Well, the easy way is to make E8C8 active then \define E8C8 to be the
character 002E. It sounds like XeTeX has a dedicated mechanism. But since
I don't use XeTeX maybe Mojca or one of the other XeTeX experts can look
at this.

You may not even need active char's: There should be a way to control the
separator char in \setupsection. I'm at work right now but maybe I can
look at this later.

Can you send a sample file?

Best wishes
Idris

@ 2008-07-22 19:24       ` Mehdi Omidali
From: Mehdi Omidali @ 2008-07-22 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Idris,
سلام
you are right. I found that \setupheads[separator=something] works,
but I found a mysterious bug. Whatever one declares as a separator,
when you make a reference to the chapter, section, etc, lua writes the
number with periods.compile the attached file and look at the
reference.
Best regards,
ps: I sent a test file, but it needs a moderator confirmation. I will
send it to your email.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% engine=luatex
\setupheads[separator=--]
\starttext
\font\test=lmroman10-regular*test at 20pt
\chapter{First}
\section[one]{one}
No matter what you have declared as section separator, here I am \in[one].
\stoptext
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

@ 2008-07-22 19:39   ` Mehdi Omidali
From: Mehdi Omidali @ 2008-07-22 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mojca,
Thanks for your complete answer. In fact, in persian (and maybe
arabic) documents, we need every digit be in persian, like chapter,
section, figure, and even formula numbers (most of the people even
prefer persian digits in formulas which is possible in xetex).
As you know, the Mapping=farsidigits in a font definition works
perfect in xelatex.
Best wishes.

@ 2008-07-22 19:42         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-22 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Mehdi Omidali wrote:

> Dear Idris,
> سلام
> you are right. I found that \setupheads[separator=something] works,
> but I found a mysterious bug. Whatever one declares as a separator,
> when you make a reference to the chapter, section, etc, lua writes the
> number with periods.compile the attached file and look at the
> reference.

Unfortunately, this is an old bug. Hans is planning to revamp the handling
of sections and references in mkiv. So, hopefully this will be corrected
soon.

If you really need this functionality now, there are ugly workarounds. I
can post them when I get back to home computer.

Aditya

* Re: Passing unicode characters
@ 2008-07-22 20:50           ` Mehdi Omidali
From: Mehdi Omidali @ 2008-07-22 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please look at the attached file. Why numbering starts from zero?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%-----------------------------lang-far.tex------------------------------------

\writestatus{loading}{Farsi Languages}
\unprotect
\setupheadtext [content=فهرست مطالب]
\setupheadtext [tables=ليست جداول]
\setupheadtext [figures=ليست تصاوير]
\setupheadtext [graphics=ليست اشکال]
\setupheadtext [index=نمايه]
\setupheadtext [abbreviations=اختصارات]
\setupheadtext [units=واحدها]
\setuplabeltext [table=جدول ]
\setuplabeltext [figure=شكل ]
\setuplabeltext [graphic=طرح ]
%D We don't set these here. One can do that in a style.
\setuplabeltext [chapter=فصل ] % Chapter
\setuplabeltext [section=بخش ]
\setuplabeltext [subsection=زيربخش ]
\setuplabeltext [subsubsection=زيرزيربخش ]
\setuplabeltext [subsubsubsection=زيرزيرزيربخش ]
\setuplabeltext [appendix=پيوست ] % Appendix
\setuplabeltext [part=قسمت ]
\setuplabeltext [line=خط ]
\setuplabeltext [lines=خطهاي ]
\setuplabeltext [january=ژانويه]
\setuplabeltext [february=فوريه]
\setuplabeltext  [march=مارس]
\setuplabeltext  [april=آوريل]
\setuplabeltext  [may=مي]
\setuplabeltext  [june=ژوئن]
\setuplabeltext  [july=ژوييه]
\setuplabeltext  [august=آگوست]
\setuplabeltext  [september=سپتامبر]
\setuplabeltext  [october=اکتبر]
\setuplabeltext  [november=نوامبر]
\setuplabeltext  [december=دسامبر]

\setuplabeltext  [sunday=يک‌شنبه]
\setuplabeltext  [monday=دوشنبه]
\setuplabeltext  [tuesday=سه‌شنبه]
\setuplabeltext  [wednesday=چهارشنبه]
\setuplabeltext  [thursday=پنج‌شنبه]
\setuplabeltext  [friday=جمعه]
\setuplabeltext  [saturday=شنبه]
%D Rather new ...
\setuplabeltext  [page=صفحه]
\setuplabeltext  [atpage=در صفحهٔ ]
%\setuplabeltext  [hencefore=كما وضحنا سابقا]
%\setuplabeltext  [hereafter=كما نوضح لاحقا]
\setuplabeltext  [see=نگاه کنيد به]
%D ... and to be completed!
\protect
\endinput
%-----------------------------end----------------------------
%-------------------------far-env.tex-----------------------------------
%This file is designed by Mehdi Omidali for easy typesetting farsi in Context
%File Versin:2008-7-20

\startenvironment far-env
\usemodule[lang-far]
\mainlanguage[arabic]

% Font setup

\definefontfeature
   [arabic]
   [mode=node,language=dflt,script=arab,
    init=yes,medi=yes,fina=yes,isol=yes,
    liga=yes,dlig=yes,rlig=yes,clig=yes,
    mark=yes,mkmk=yes,kern=yes,curs=yes,futerfile=verbose.fea]

\starttypescript [serif] [arabic]
\definefontsynonym [Farsi-Light] 		[name:ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf]
		[features=arabic]
\definefontsynonym [Farsi-Bold] 		[name:ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf]
		[features=arabic]
\definefontsynonym [Farsi-Italic] 		[name:ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf]
		[features=arabic]
\definefontsynonym [Farsi-Bold-Italic] 	[name:ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf]
	[features=arabic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [arabic] [name]
 \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
 \definefontsynonym [Serif]           		[Farsi-Light]       		[features=arabic]
 \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     		[Farsi-Italic]      		[features=arabic]
 \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       	[Farsi-Bold]        		[features=arabic]
 \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] 	[Farsi-Bold-Italic] 		[features=arabic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Farsi]
  \definetypeface [Farsi] [rm] [serif] [arabic] [default]
\stoptypescript

\def\FarsiGlobalDir {\pagedir TRT\bodydir TRT\pardir TRT\textdir TRT}
\def\FarsiParDir    {\textdir TRT\pardir TRT}
\def\FarsiTextDir   {\textdir TRT}
\def\LatinParDir     {\textdir TLT\pardir TLT}
\def\LatinTextDir    {\textdir TLT}
\def\LatinGlobalDir  {\pagedir TLT\bodydir TLT\pardir TLT\textdir TLT}

\define\setfarsi
  {\FarsiGlobalDir%
   \usetypescript[Farsi]%
   \setupbodyfont[Farsi,18pt]}

\definestartstop
  [farsipar]
  [commands=\Farsi\FarsiParDir]

\define[1]\RT
  {{\Farsi\FarsiTextDir#1}}

\define\setlatin
  {\LatinGlobalDir%
   \usetypescript[lm]%
   \setupbodyfont[lm,18pt]}

\definestartstop
  [latinpar]
  [commands=\Farsi\LatinParDir]

\define[1]\LT
  {{\LatinTextDir#1}}

\setuphead
	[chapter]
	[	page=yes,
   		before=\hairline\blank,
   		after=\nowhitespace\hairline,
   		header=nomarking,
   		textstyle=bold,
   		numberstyle=bold,
	]
\setupheads[separator=\LT{--}]
\setuppagenumbering[conversion=persiannumerals]
\setupheadertexts[]%We put here because we want to define headertexts next.
%\setupheadertexts[][pagenumber]
\setupsection [chapter]
	[conversion=persiannumerals]
\setupsection [section]
	[conversion=persiannumerals]
\setupsection [subsection]
	[conversion=persiannumerals]
\setupsection [subsubsection]
	[conversion=persiannumerals]
\setupfootnotes
	[conversion=persiannumerals]

\stopenvironment
---------------------------------------------end--------------------
% engine=luatex
\setupinteraction
[state=start,
title={راهنمای نگارش فارسی با کانتکست},
author={مهدی امیدعلی},
subtitle={حروف‌چینی به‌وسیلهٔ لواتک},
keyword={فارسی لواتک كانتكست}]
\starttext
\environment far-env
\setfarsi
\startfrontmatter
\startstandardmakeup
\midaligned{راهنمای فارسی کانتکست}
\midaligned{نويسنده}
\midaligned{مهدی امیدعلی}
\stopstandardmakeup
\completecontent
\stopfrontmatter
\startbodymatter
\chapter{پیشگفتار}
\section[firstsection]{کانتکست چیست؟}\index{کانتکست}
این یک پانوشت است
\footnote{\LT{Numbers starts from zero}}
\subsection{روش نصب}
\in{ بخش}[firstsection]
\footnote{\LT{The reference number is not correct}}
\stopbodymatter
\completeindex
\stoptext
------------------------------------end--------------------------------

@ 2008-07-22 21:21     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-22 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Mehdi Omidali wrote:
> Dear Mojca,
> Thanks for your complete answer. In fact, in persian (and maybe
> arabic) documents, we need every digit be in persian,

But when you write, you probably write numbers in persian already?

> like chapter,
> section,

\chapter and \section are a bit buggy as far as numbering is
concerned, but you can use
  \setuphead
    [section]
    [conversion=arabicnumerals]

> figure, and even formula numbers

Try
   \defineconversion [ar] [numbers] [\arabicnumerals]

This one doesn't work on sections (same argument as Aditya pointed
out), but it does quite a lot already :)
Can you try it out and report? I didn't try it out (no idea how to
work with Arabic), but I consider it a much cleaner approach than
redefining characters in fonts.

(You could also use \setupformulas[conversion=arabicnumerals], similar
for tables, ..., but in theory you should not need anything else but
\defineconversion [ar] [numbers] [\arabicnumerals] in lang-ara.tex if
that's of general interest.)

> (most of the people even
> prefer persian digits in formulas which is possible in xetex).
> As you know, the Mapping=farsidigits in a font definition works
> perfect in xelatex.

I would say that ConTeXt lacks a nice interface for that at the
moment. There is tlig/trep feature that works that way (remaps ' to
rightquote for example), but it's spread all over the place and might
be likely to change. One option are fea files (like the one Idris
pointed you to).

Still, I would go for "conversion", not for redefining fonts.
Redefining fonts is just an ugly hack that happens to solve a problem
temporary. People use it just because it's too difficult to do it in
some other way.

Mojca

* Re: Passing unicode characters
@ 2008-07-23  6:37             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-23  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/7/22 Mehdi Omidali <mehdioa@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> Please look at the attached file. Why numbering starts from zero?

Your ConTeXt could be too old or you run texexec only once, try to run
texexec at least twice and the numbering should be correct.

Wolfgang

* Re: Passing unicode characters
@ 2008-07-23 17:52       ` Mehdi Omidali
From: Mehdi Omidali @ 2008-07-23 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mojca,
Thanks to the conversion option I found a clean way to setup a good
left-to-right layout. But I found a mysterious bug in the
bidirectional algorithm. Please run the attached file and look at the
formula.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% engine=luatex
\def\FarsiGlobalDir {\pagedir TRT\bodydir TRT\pardir TRT\textdir TRT}
\definestartstop
  [farsidocument]
  [commands={\FarsiGlobalDir},before=\page,after=\page]

\starttext

\startfarsidocument

\placeformula[formula1] $$y=123456789x^2$$

hi\footnote{hi}
\page
\stopfarsidocument
Why the formula in the previous page is not shown correct.
\stoptext

@ 2008-07-27 12:39         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-27 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mehdi Omidali wrote:
> Dear Mojca,
> Thanks to the conversion option I found a clean way to setup a good
> left-to-right layout. But I found a mysterious bug in the
> bidirectional algorithm. Please run the attached file and look at the
> formula.

This definately looks like a bug in luatex itself. In fact, both
dvi and pdf modes seem to generate incorrect results, even in
plain.fmt. I've added a bug tracker item for luatex.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Passing unicode characters
@ 2008-07-27 21:25               ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2008-07-27 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 08:37:12AM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> 2008/7/22 Mehdi Omidali <mehdioa@gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> > Please look at the attached file. Why numbering starts from zero?
>
> Your ConTeXt could be too old or you run texexec only once, try to run
> texexec at least twice and the numbering should be correct.

I think this is a bug in converters.alphabetic function, it doesn't
handle zero and seem to convert 1->0 2->1 etc. The following code:

\ctxlua{converters.alphabetic(0,"arabic")}
\ctxlua{converters.alphabetic(123456789,"arabic")}

gives "0 ٠١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨", while it should give "٠١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩".

Regards,
 Khaled

> Wolfgang

 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team

* Re: Passing unicode characters
@ 2008-07-27 22:38                 ` Mehdi Omidali
From: Mehdi Omidali @ 2008-07-27 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,
Another thing that have to be fixed is about formula numbering in
right-to-left texts. By default I think lua prints a formula number in
a formula in the wrong direction, like
\thechapter.\thesection.\theequation
but it should be
\theequation.\thesection.\thechapter
because chapter and section numbering is expanded from right to left.
Also be aware of equation numbers when one call it from a reference
like \in[formulalabel].
It should also be
\theequation.\thesection.\thechapter
As far as I know, equation nembering is a big problem in all tex
engines (for right-to-left texts).
Fortunately, the way that lua act with other numbered bodies, like
tables, figures, ... (in right-to-left texts) is perfect as far as I
have checked.
Best wishes.

@ 2008-07-28 14:37       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-28 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Mehdi Omidali wrote:
>> Dear Mojca,
>> Thanks for your complete answer. In fact, in persian (and maybe
>> arabic) documents, we need every digit be in persian,
>
> But when you write, you probably write numbers in persian already?
>
>> like chapter,
>> section,
>
> \chapter and \section are a bit buggy as far as numbering is
> concerned, but you can use
>   \setuphead
>     [section]
>     [conversion=arabicnumerals]

the section numbering has to take too many things into account (there
are sveral places where one can hook in conversion commands);
complications are for instance in supporting chinese (left/right stuff)
and separators; one problem is that the number needs to be expanded when
it is written to lists; separator handlign (esp replacement) then can
become rather hairy too

concerning left/right handling ... there has been added some trickery
when idris needed it and was still using otp's but since otp's were
error prone, this can easily interfere with other things

anyhow, in mkiv there will be a more flexible mechanism with more data
being carried around so that in various stages one can tweak things like
   conversions, separators, prefixes is much more detail (which then of
course will lead to more demands)

Hans

(btw, you really don't want to know what numbering we have to use in our
projects; it hardly fits a model)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-07-28 14:41                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-28 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mehdi Omidali wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Another thing that have to be fixed is about formula numbering in
> right-to-left texts. By default I think lua prints a formula number in
> a formula in the wrong direction, like
> \thechapter.\thesection.\theequation
> but it should be
> \theequation.\thesection.\thechapter
> because chapter and section numbering is expanded from right to left.
> Also be aware of equation numbers when one call it from a reference
> like \in[formulalabel].
> It should also be
> \theequation.\thesection.\thechapter
> As far as I know, equation nembering is a big problem in all tex
> engines (for right-to-left texts).
> Fortunately, the way that lua act with other numbered bodies, like
> tables, figures, ... (in right-to-left texts) is perfect as far as I
> have checked.

we struggled with this in the past (interfacing) ...

ab.cd.ef = ab.cd.ef (explicit textdir rules)
ab.cd.ef = ef.cd.ab
ab.cd.ef = fe.dc.ba (textdir on components)

eventually i think that we settled to something that worked with the
examples at that time

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE