* \*interaction* commands
@ 2008-07-29 13:28 Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-07-29 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

HI,

Where can I find a *comprehensive* explanation of all
\*interaction* commands and their options ?

Thanks,
Alan

* Re: \*interaction* commands
@ 2008-07-29 15:29 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-29 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> HI,
>
> Where can I find a *comprehensive* explanation of all
> \*interaction* commands and their options ?

AFAIK, the best bet at the moment is texshow:

   http://texshow.contextgarden.net/

and put "interaction" in the search field.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: \*interaction* commands
@ 2008-07-29 15:49   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-07-29 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Taco.

Having done that already, that's precisely the reason I'm asking.  ;O)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole>Best,
Alan

P.S. The more I lookup something in texshow, the more it looks like this...

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Alan Stone wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> > Where can I find a *comprehensive* explanation of all
> > \*interaction* commands and their options ?
>
> AFAIK, the best bet at the moment is texshow:
>
>   http://texshow.contextgarden.net/
>
> and put "interaction" in the search field.
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

* Re: \*interaction* commands
@ 2008-07-29 17:52   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-29 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Alan Stone wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> Where can I find a *comprehensive* explanation of all
>> \*interaction* commands and their options ?
>
> AFAIK, the best bet at the moment is texshow:
>
>    http://texshow.contextgarden.net/
>
> and put "interaction" in the search field.

depends a bit on what you want to do ...

mwidgets.pdf is ok, and also the s-pre-* files have lots of examples

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \*interaction* commands
@ 2008-07-29 18:28     ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-07-29 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm still trying to reproduce the layo-05.tex example Hans. As its code
is rather tortuous I studied other examples. Up till now this has been
quite a time investment without noticeable return, partly due to not
finding a comprehensive \*interaction* commands documentation to
guide me all along.

Therefore, I wanted to give it (and ConTeXt) one last chance by starting
from scratch and progress by trial and error.

Hence my previous question.

Alan

P.S. What I meant by texshow being a black hole is: there's a lot of stuff
in there, but for the most part (as a user) I don't have a clue what it is
and
what it means.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> >
> > Alan Stone wrote:
> >> HI,
> >>
> >> Where can I find a *comprehensive* explanation of all
> >> \*interaction* commands and their options ?
> >
> > AFAIK, the best bet at the moment is texshow:
> >
> >    http://texshow.contextgarden.net/
> >
> > and put "interaction" in the search field.
>
> depends a bit on what you want to do ...
>
> mwidgets.pdf is ok, and also the s-pre-* files have lots of examples
>
> Hans

* Re: \*interaction* commands
@ 2008-07-29 20:15       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-29 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> I'm still trying to reproduce the layo-05.tex example Hans. As its code
> is rather tortuous I studied other examples. Up till now this has been
> quite a time investment without noticeable return, partly due to not
> finding a comprehensive \*interaction* commands documentation to
> guide me all along.

the problem with interaction is that there is not one route ... the
simplest way is to just turn it on (\setupinteraction[state=start])

next there are only a few special interaction things: goto, buttons and
menus and it really depends on your design then what you use

the other thingies (graphics and such) ar enot special to interaction

you can run layo-05.tex with --mode=demo to get a simple example, given
at the bottom of that file

an option is to copy that file into a temp one and start commenting ...
that way you see what happens; normally a style is built the other way
around,

- set up a papersize
- adapt the layout
- start keying some text
- then see what kind of text you have
- adapt your design to the content

now, esp with things like menus, finetuning really depends on the kind
of content; the best way to get a feeling for that is just try things
(at least that's how i do it ... just try what looks best as there is no
recipy for a design)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \*interaction* commands
@ 2008-07-30  7:55         ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-07-30  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

>you can run layo-05.tex with --mode=demo to get a simple example, given
>at the bottom of that file

I guess you mean s-pre-05.tex Hans.

Best,
Alan

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Alan Stone wrote:
> > I'm still trying to reproduce the layo-05.tex example Hans. As its code
> > is rather tortuous I studied other examples. Up till now this has been
> > quite a time investment without noticeable return, partly due to not
> > finding a comprehensive \*interaction* commands documentation to
> > guide me all along.
>
> the problem with interaction is that there is not one route ... the
> simplest way is to just turn it on (\setupinteraction[state=start])
>
> next there are only a few special interaction things: goto, buttons and
> menus and it really depends on your design then what you use
>
> the other thingies (graphics and such) ar enot special to interaction
>
> you can run layo-05.tex with --mode=demo to get a simple example, given
> at the bottom of that file
>
> an option is to copy that file into a temp one and start commenting ...
> that way you see what happens; normally a style is built the other way
> around,
>
> - set up a papersize
> - adapt the layout
> - start keying some text
> - then see what kind of text you have
> - adapt your design to the content
>
> now, esp with things like menus, finetuning really depends on the kind
> of content; the best way to get a feeling for that is just try things
> (at least that's how i do it ... just try what looks best as there is no
> recipy for a design)
>
> Hans

* Re: \*interaction* commands
@ 2008-07-30  8:07           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-30  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
>> you can run layo-05.tex with --mode=demo to get a simple example, given
>> at the bottom of that file
>
> I guess you mean s-pre-05.tex Hans.

indeed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \*interaction* commands
@ 2008-07-30 15:50             ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-07-30 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

After modifying the s-pre-05.tex example and replacing
\setupinteractionmenu[right] with \defineinteractionmenu[myMenu][right]
the menu doesn't show up anymmore in the pdf.

What's missing ?

Thanks,
Alan

%\usemodule[pre-general]

\setuppapersize[S6][S6]

\setupbodyfont[14.4pt]

\setuplayout
  [width=430pt,
   height=400pt,
   header=0pt,
   footer=0pt,
   margin=0pt,
   backspace=25pt,
   topspace=25pt,
   rightedgedistance=20pt,
   rightedge=110pt]

\setupcolors[state=start]

%\setupinteractionscreen[option=max]

%\setupbackgrounds[state=repeat]

%\setupbackgrounds[page]
%  [backgroundcolor=white]

\setupinteraction[
  state=start,
   menu=on]
%   page=yes/no     % what is that ?

\defineinteractionmenu[myMenu][right][
    before=,
    after=,
    style=smallbold,
    height=35pt,
   offset=10pt,
    frame=on]

%\startinteractionmenu[right]
\startinteractionmenu[myMenu]
    \placelist[chapter][
     criterium=all,
     alternative=right,    % what is "right" ?
     maxwidth=.8\rightedgewidth,
%     interaction=all,    % what is this supposed to be for ?
     before=,
     after=]
  \vfill
%  \setupinteractionmenu[right]
  \setupinteractionmenu[myMenu]
    [height=30pt]
  \but [CloseDocument] Close \\
\stopinteractionmenu

\setupwhitespace[big]

\setupblank[big]

%\defineoverlay[NextPage][\overlaybutton{forward}]

\def\StartTitlePage%
  {
   \setupbackgrounds[text][text][background=]
%   \setupinteraction[menu=off]
   \setupinteraction[menu=on]
%    \setupinteractionbar[state=stop]
    \setupinteractionbar[state=start]
   \setuplayout[width=550pt,rightedge=0pt]
   \startstandardmakeup
   \switchtobodyfont[24pt]
   \bfd\setupinterlinespace
   \setupalign[middle]
   \vfil
   \let\\=\vfil}

\def\StopTitlePage%
  {\vfil\vfil\vfil
   \stopstandardmakeup
   \setuplayout[width=430pt,rightedge=110pt]
   \setupinteraction[menu=on]
   \setupinteractionbar[state=start]
   }

\def\TitlePage#1%
  {\StartTitlePage#1\StopTitlePage}

\setuphead
    [chapter, title]
    [after={\blank[3*medium]},
        number=no,
        style=\tfb,
        page=yes,
        alternative=middle]

\setuphead
    [section]
    [after=\blank,
        number=no,
        page=yes,
        continue=no,
        style=\tfa]

\starttext

\TitlePage{Title Page}

Some Nice Quotes

\chapter{A Few}

\section{Knuth} \input knuth
\section{Tufte} \input tufte

\chapter{Some More}

\section{Zapf}   \input zapf
\section{Bryson} \input bryson

\stoptext

* Re: \*interaction* commands
@ 2008-07-30 16:18               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-30 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> After modifying the s-pre-05.tex example and replacing
> \setupinteractionmenu[right] with \defineinteractionmenu[myMenu][right]
> the menu doesn't show up anymmore in the pdf.

(showing all combinations in a maniual would probably explode that manual)

- use \showframe when testing this, it helps to see where things go

- use \setuppapersizep[S6][S8] so that you can see what happens outside
the page

- now, in order to see the menu ...

\setupinteractionmenu
   [myMenu]
   [state=start]

so, you can toggle them on and off, which is handy if you want another
menu on some pages

- in order to get them overlayed ...

\setupinteractionmenu
   [right]