* Sample code: a textbook
@ 2008-07-30 15:27 Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2008-07-30 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Some time ago, I showed a few sample pages of a biochemistry textbook I
wrote in ConTeXt. I now uploaded the setup file with comments in
ContextGarden (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Biochemistry_textbook). I
hope that it will be useful for beginners---I found examples helpful myself.

A comment regarding the ongoing documentation discussion:
The "Excursion" is basically excellent, I also love its Wordsworthian
title; keep it! All that's needed is a few corrections and additions.
Just an example: Based on "Excursion", you wouldn't be able to indent
paragraphs. You'll find the answer in the FAQs, where a beginner
probably wouldn't look for it (he/she would probably just give up).

Cheers, Jörg

--
Prof. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari MD
University of Basel

* Re: Sample code: a textbook
@ 2008-07-30 16:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-30 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> A comment regarding the ongoing documentation discussion:
> The "Excursion" is basically excellent, I also love its Wordsworthian
> title; keep it! All that's needed is a few corrections and additions.
> Just an example: Based on "Excursion", you wouldn't be able to indent
> paragraphs. You'll find the answer in the FAQs, where a beginner
> probably wouldn't look for it (he/she would probably just give up).

those docs wil not go away; the docu discussion concerns the big (huge,
extreme) merged thing (probably unprintable thick too -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Sample code: a textbook
@ 2008-07-30 16:25 ` Holzminister
From: Holzminister @ 2008-07-30 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:27:38 +0200
schrieb Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch>:

> Some time ago, I showed a few sample pages of a biochemistry textbook
> I wrote in ConTeXt. I now uploaded the setup file with comments in
> ContextGarden (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Biochemistry_textbook).
> I hope that it will be useful for beginners---I found examples
> helpful myself.

Hi!

That looks great! Very helpful details!

Thank you,
Eyke

* Re: Sample code: a textbook
@ 2008-07-30 16:31   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-30 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Holzminister wrote:
> Am Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:27:38 +0200
> schrieb Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch>:
>
>> Some time ago, I showed a few sample pages of a biochemistry textbook
>> I wrote in ConTeXt. I now uploaded the setup file with comments in
>> ContextGarden (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Biochemistry_textbook).
>> I hope that it will be useful for beginners---I found examples
>> helpful myself.
>

> Hi!
>
> That looks great! Very helpful details!

indeed, it could also serve as a template for more such examples

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Sample code: a textbook
@ 2008-07-30 16:41   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-30 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Quoting Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

> Jörg Hagmann wrote:
>
>> A comment regarding the ongoing documentation discussion:
>> The "Excursion" is basically excellent, I also love its Wordsworthian
>> title; keep it! All that's needed is a few corrections and additions.
>> Just an example: Based on "Excursion", you wouldn't be able to indent
>> paragraphs. You'll find the answer in the FAQs, where a beginner
>> probably wouldn't look for it (he/she would probably just give up).
>
> those docs wil not go away; the docu discussion concerns the big (huge,
> extreme) merged thing (probably unprintable thick too -)

Willi and I are planning to use Excursion as a basis for the
beginner's tutorial at Bohinj. We can keep track of things that are
wrong in the Excursion, and correct them after the meeting at Bohinj.

Aditya