* texmfstart texexec
@ 2008-08-12 19:29 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
       [not found] ` <6faad9f00808140106i3ffc6088o42c4f13d628cd917@mail.gmail.com>
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2008-08-12 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear gang,

I am upgrading my system to the latest mswincontext distro.

After some hiccups, context.cmd finds its target script, so I can generate
the mkiv format

But for

texmfstart.exe texexec

I keep getting

ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

texmfstart --locate texexec.rb

gives me

/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb

Any ideas on what's wrong?

Best wishes
Idris

PS I like the new directory structure -- texmf-cache, texmf-context etc.

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: texmfstart texexec
@ 2008-08-12 21:59 ` Hans Hagen
                     ` (2 more replies)
       [not found] ` <6faad9f00808140106i3ffc6088o42c4f13d628cd917@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-12 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid ????? ????? ???? wrote:
> Dear gang,
>
> I am upgrading my system to the latest mswincontext distro.
>
> After some hiccups, context.cmd finds its target script, so I can generate
> the mkiv format
>
> But for
>
> texmfstart.exe texexec
>
> I keep getting
>
> ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

hm, some rubygems interaction; i really dislike these 'package managers
overloading the module loaders'

> texmfstart --locate texexec.rb
>
> gives me
>
> /texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb
>
> Any ideas on what's wrong?

some messy ruby in your path

you can make a small bat file that starts texmfstart

@echo off
setlocal
ruby c:\pathtoscript\texmfstart.rb %*
endlocal

might work

or (what i have here) just add scripts/context/ruby to your PATH
variable and associate .rb with ruby

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texmfstart texexec
@ 2008-08-13  0:04   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2008-08-13  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:59:20 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>> texmfstart --locate texexec.rb
>>
>> gives me
>>
>> /texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb
>>
>> Any ideas on what's wrong?
> some messy ruby in your path
> you can make a small bat file that starts texmfstart
> @echo off
> setlocal
> ruby c:\pathtoscript\texmfstart.rb %*
> endlocal
> might work

$>"C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-context\scripts\context\ruby\texmfstart.rb" texexec
ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

This makes no sense: texexec.rb and texmfstart.rb are in the same
directory! I wonder why texmfstart can't find texexec...

$>texmfstart --path
"C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-context\scripts\context\ruby\texexec.rb" test.tex

gives no error but does nothing else but return the command prompt.

> or (what i have here) just add scripts/context/ruby to your PATH

did that and relogged in: does not work.

> variable and associate .rb with ruby

XP already associates .rb files with the ruby interpreter.

Stumped
Idris

@ 2008-08-13 17:47   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2008-08-13 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:59:20 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Idris Samawi Hamid ????? ????? ???? wrote:
>> Dear gang,
>>
>> I am upgrading my system to the latest mswincontext distro.
>>
>> After some hiccups, context.cmd finds its target script, so I can
>> generate
>> the mkiv format
>>
>> But for
>>
>> texmfstart.exe texexec
>>
>> I keep getting
>>
>> ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)
>
> hm, some rubygems interaction; i really dislike these 'package managers
> overloading the module loaders'
>
>> texmfstart --locate texexec.rb
>>
>> gives me
>>
>> /texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb
>>
>> Any ideas on what's wrong?
>
> some messy ruby in your path
>
> you can make a small bat file that starts texmfstart
>
> @echo off
> setlocal
> ruby c:\pathtoscript\texmfstart.rb %*
> endlocal
>
> might work
>
> or (what i have here) just add scripts/context/ruby to your PATH
> variable and associate .rb with ruby

Still no luck. Here is some info:

ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]

\texmf-context\scripts\context\ruby>texmfstart texexec
ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

I ran the above in the directory with the scripts.

Is there a setup or ini file where I need to change the path?

I compared my old setuptex.bat with the new one. No real clues yet.

\texmf-context\scripts\context\ruby is in the PATH, rebooted

Any ideas? What has changed since the last mswincontext, other that the
switch from -local/ to -context/?

Best wishes
Idris

@ 2008-08-13 20:52   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2008-08-13 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

I think I found a clue:

If I start a command shell (no scite or npp or other editor) and do

setuptex c:\context\tex
texmfstart texexec

I get

TeXExec | version 6.2.0 - 1997-2006 - PRAGMA ADE/POD

TeXExec | --check        check versions
TeXExec | --figures      generate overview of figures
TeXExec | --listing      list of file content
TeXExec | --make         make formats
TeXExec | --modules      generate module documentation
TeXExec | --mpgraphic    process mp file to stand-alone graphics
TeXExec | --mpstatic     process mp/ctx file to stand-alone graphics
TeXExec | --mptex        process mp file
TeXExec | --mpxtex       process mpx file
TeXExec | --pdfarrange   impose pages (booklets)
TeXExec | --pdfcombine   combine multiple pages
TeXExec | --pdfcopy      copy pages from file(s)
TeXExec | --pdfselect    select pages from file(s)
TeXExec | --pdfsplit     split file in pages
TeXExec | --pdftrim      trim pages from file(s)
TeXExec | --process      process file
TeXExec |
TeXExec | --help --all   shows all switches

If I click on

cscite.bat

scite opens. Then I do CTRL-6 for a window. then I do

texmfstart texexec

getting

ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

Even

setuptex c:\context\tex
texmfstart texexec

in scite gives me

ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

Could there be something screwy in cscite.bat? Or setuptex.bat?

Best wishes
Idris

@ 2008-08-13 21:26     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-13 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد
  Cc: mailing list for ConTeXt users

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:

> Could there be something screwy in cscite.bat? Or setuptex.bat?

what does

echo %PATH%

report?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texmfstart texexec
@ 2008-08-13 21:37       ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2008-08-13 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:26:02 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:
>
>> Could there be something screwy in cscite.bat? Or setuptex.bat?
>
> what does
>
> echo %PATH%
>
> report?

\test>echo %PATH%
C:\ConTeXt\goodies\bin;C:\ConTeXt\xmllib\bin;C:\ConTeXt\gs\bin;C:\ConTeXt\ruby\bin;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-mswin\bin;

[followed by the rest of my global environment variables, including the
presets following]

C:\ConTeXt;C:\ConTeXt\tex;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-mswin\bin;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-project\bin\miktex-bin;
C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-project\bin\fptex-bin;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-context\scripts\context\ruby;
C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-local\scripts\context\stubs\mswin;C:\ruby\bin;C:\Perl\bin\;

Best wishes
Idris

@ 2008-08-14  8:15         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-14  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد
  Cc: mailing list for ConTeXt users

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:26:02 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:
>>
>>> Could there be something screwy in cscite.bat? Or setuptex.bat?
>>
>> what does
>>
>> echo %PATH%
>>
>> report?
>
> \test>echo %PATH%
> C:\ConTeXt\goodies\bin;C:\ConTeXt\xmllib\bin;C:\ConTeXt\gs\bin;C:\ConTeXt\ruby\bin;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-mswin\bin;
>

> [followed by the rest of my global environment variables, including the
> presets following]
>
> C:\ConTeXt;C:\ConTeXt\tex;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-mswin\bin;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-project\bin\miktex-bin;
>
> C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-project\bin\fptex-bin;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-context\scripts\context\ruby;
                                    ^^^^^^^^^
old

> C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-local\scripts\context\stubs\mswin;C:\ruby\bin;C:\Perl\bin\;

i wonder if c:\ruby\bin is the problem;

can you run ruby texmfstart,rb ?

(this while script becoming a exe is quite painful and fragile, which is
why i always run things by stub)

also, if you use luatex ... you can adapt the scite properties files
(user ones) to use 'context' instead of 'texexec'

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texmfstart texexec
@ 2008-08-14 14:57           ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2008-08-14 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 02:15:39 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:

>>> what does
>>>
>>> echo %PATH%
>>>
>>> report?
>>  \test>echo %PATH%
>> C:\ConTeXt\goodies\bin;C:\ConTeXt\xmllib\bin;C:\ConTeXt\gs\bin;C:\ConTeXt\ruby\bin;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-mswin\bin;
>>   [followed by the rest of my global environment variables, including
>> the presets following]
>>
>> C:\ConTeXt;C:\ConTeXt\tex;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-mswin\bin;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-project\bin\miktex-bin;
>>
>> C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-project\bin\fptex-bin;C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-context\scripts\context\ruby;
>                                     ^^^^^^^^^
> old

Those are some old aleph utilites for making ocp's, ofm's etc. cobbled
 from ancient versions of miktex and fptex -- sometimes the miktex binary
would work but not the fptex binary and vice versa -)

>> C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-local\scripts\context\stubs\mswin;C:\ruby\bin;C:\Perl\bin\;
>
> i wonder if c:\ruby\bin is the problem;
>
> can you run ruby texmfstart,rb ?

ruby: No such file or directory -- texmfstart.rb (LoadError)

> (this while script becoming a exe is quite painful and fragile, which is
> why i always run things by stub)

there is no texmfstart.bat in \scripts\context\stubs\mswin

Is there another way?

> also, if you use luatex ... you can adapt the scite properties files
> (user ones) to use 'context' instead of 'texexec'

luatex/context.cmd is working, it's just that I want to be able to compile
the pdftex format for testing, legacy files, etc. Otherwise I am gradually
moving everything over to luatex.

For the record, going back to my backup context works. texmfstart.exe and
the scripts seem the same. The only difference I can see is going from
texmf-local to -context. I wonder what's triggering this.

Best wishes
Idris

@ 2008-08-14 14:59   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2008-08-14 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 02:06:59 -0600, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But for
>>
>> texmfstart.exe texexec
>>
>> I keep getting
>>
>> ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)
>>
>> texmfstart --locate texexec.rb
>>
>> gives me
>>
>> /texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb
>>
>> Any ideas on what's wrong?
>
> I would say it's a broken ruby installation, or some other file is
> broken, but I cannot find anything in ConTeXt, maybe in standalone
> ConTeXt environment ...

I tried moving all setuptex.bat variables to the global XP environment
variables. Then I could make a pdftex format without cscite.bat. But I
could not run any pdftex files because texexec keeps looking for the
format in -local/web2c/pdftex instead of -mswin\web2c\pdftex.

I've removed those global variables and again trying to get
setuptex/cscite.bat/pdftex working.

> Can you try to find a string "ubygems" in some .rb file? It should be
> "rubygems" at most, but I have no idea where this is comming from.

That is weird indeed.

Thnx and

Best wishes
Idris

@ 2008-08-14 18:39           ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2008-08-14 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, Mojca, and all,

I uninstalled ruby and reinstalled: no joy.

Then I uninstalled ruby and reinstalled without installing RubyGems.

Believe it or not that worked! I can compile the format and run mkii now.

This still leaves open the question as to how RubyGems and cscite.bat
(which is the source of npp.bat for notepad++) are interfering with each
other in the new minimals/maximal (what is "ubygems" without the "r"
anyway?). Might be worth investigating at some point...

Thnx and Best wishes
Idris

@ 2008-08-14 20:02             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-14 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد
  Cc: mailing list for ConTeXt users, Mojca Miklavec

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:
> Hi Hans, Mojca, and all,
>
> I uninstalled ruby and reinstalled: no joy.
>
> Then I uninstalled ruby and reinstalled without installing RubyGems.
>
> Believe it or not that worked! I can compile the format and run mkii now.
>
> This still leaves open the question as to how RubyGems and cscite.bat
> (which is the source of npp.bat for notepad++) are interfering with each
> other in the new minimals/maximal (what is "ubygems" without the "r"
> anyway?). Might be worth investigating at some point...

it's because those gems packages overload some library location
mechanisms (they kind of dictate a structure and ignore the fact that
one might want to ship script with libs in a different way); texexec cus
coul dnot operate in such an environment without installers which would
add another level of complexity

the same is true for lua and luarocks which also can sit in the way;
however, this does not hurt luatex because we have an isolated
environment here

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE