From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
To: "Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد" <ishamid@colostate.edu>
	Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: texmfstart texexec
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 22:02:28 +0200	[thread overview]

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:
> Hi Hans, Mojca, and all,
>
> I uninstalled ruby and reinstalled: no joy.
>
> Then I uninstalled ruby and reinstalled without installing RubyGems.
>
> Believe it or not that worked! I can compile the format and run mkii now.
>
> This still leaves open the question as to how RubyGems and cscite.bat
> (which is the source of npp.bat for notepad++) are interfering with each
> other in the new minimals/maximal (what is "ubygems" without the "r"
> anyway?). Might be worth investigating at some point...

it's because those gems packages overload some library location
mechanisms (they kind of dictate a structure and ignore the fact that
one might want to ship script with libs in a different way); texexec cus
coul dnot operate in such an environment without installers which would
add another level of complexity

the same is true for lua and luarocks which also can sit in the way;
however, this does not hurt luatex because we have an isolated
environment here

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE