* context meeting
@ 2008-08-27 18:02 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-27 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I really enjoyed myself at last weeks's meeting. Mojca and friends have
done a great job. In addition to a filled up program we had a wonderful
day going around Slovenia (incredibly silent outside the facilities and
a sky full of stars, something impossible in nl), terrific bonfires,
texies walking on ropes between trees, the highest density of laptops
per tex conference, one of the most relaxed tex conference
wrapups/endings ever, and ... there are already suggestions floating
around for up to three locations for context meetings after next year
(2009 will most likely be in delft, nl).

During the conference a few things came up that are worth noticing

- the minimals are a hit, they work, are used and we have installers for
each platform; there are ideas on how to improve things further.

- it will be possible to update upcoming tex lives with the minimals
(norbert implemented the infrastructure for this and the minimal
maintainers will set up a package generator); this means that we have
nicely isolated distributions (reference implementations) as well as
perfect integration in the mainstream distribution

- the wiki will get an upgrade;some ideas already get implemented but
more will happen

- there are interesting and ambitious ideas with regards to math (and
related fonts), so you can expect something in that area the upcoming years

- there is a set if tutorials by willi and aditya that was tried out
during this conference and which will be perfected so that in the future
we have a nice beginners package (although some topics went beyond the
beginners level   and are of use for more experienced users as well);
other presentations given can be turned into tutorials as well (like
those on making presentations)

- those present were either already using mkiv or were willing to change
from mkii to mkiv soon; as a consequence the group agreed on a
functional freeze for mkii (apart from bug fixes and simple extensions);
   this will make development easier

I probably forget a few things so others might correct me ...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: context meeting
@ 2008-08-28  9:01 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2008-08-28  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,

> I really enjoyed myself at last weeks's meeting. Mojca and friends have
> done a great job. In addition to a filled up program we had a wonderful
> day going around Slovenia (incredibly silent outside the facilities and
> a sky full of stars, something impossible in nl), terrific bonfires,

This ConTeXt meeting has been for me a really wonderful
chance to get back in the loop of the TeX world in general
and the ConTeXt world in particular. My most grateful thanks
go to the organizers (and the participants!) for the the
wonderful week spent in Slovenia.

> I probably forget a few things

You mean, like, git?

8-D

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: context meeting
@ 2008-08-28  9:25   ` Yue Wang
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-08-28  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

will www.river-valley.tv broadcast it?
btw, I want to see all the presentations, but there are only a few on
context garden:(

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it> wrote:
> Wednesday, August 27, 2008 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I really enjoyed myself at last weeks's meeting. Mojca and friends have
>> done a great job. In addition to a filled up program we had a wonderful
>> day going around Slovenia (incredibly silent outside the facilities and
>> a sky full of stars, something impossible in nl), terrific bonfires,
>
> This ConTeXt meeting has been for me a really wonderful
> chance to get back in the loop of the TeX world in general
> and the ConTeXt world in particular. My most grateful thanks
> go to the organizers (and the participants!) for the the
> wonderful week spent in Slovenia.
>
>> I probably forget a few things
>
> You mean, like, git?
>
> 8-D
>
> --
> Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: context meeting
@ 2008-08-28  9:29     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-08-28  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> will www.river-valley.tv broadcast it?
> btw, I want to see all the presentations, but there are only a few on
> context garden:(

  It will be updated (with the presentations we have, obviously).

	Arthur

* Re: context meeting
@ 2008-08-28  9:37   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-28  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>> I probably forget a few things
>
> You mean, like, git?

right, how could i forget!

Hans

ps. and of course all those sessions regarding the right pronouciations
of italian names -)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: context meeting
@ 2008-08-28 10:16     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-28 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:

> will www.river-valley.tv broadcast it?

no

> btw, I want to see all the presentations, but there are only a few on
> context garden:(

not all presentations make sense to broadcast but much was recorded

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: context meeting
@ 2008-08-28 13:27     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-08-28 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Yue Wang wrote:
> will www.river-valley.tv broadcast it?

Yes, but we have only recorded about a half of presentations (we did
that for the first time, so I'm still quite lucky that we did what we
did), and some will not be public (if we don't get permission by the
author).

> btw, I want to see all the presentations, but there are only a few on
> context garden:(

We had problems with network at the meeting and repository was screwed
up completely. I have uploaded some files yesterday, and will try to
finish the page in the following days.

Mojca

* Re: context meeting
@ 2007-02-02 19:38 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-02-02 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's time to start finalizing the programm etc for
> the upcoming CONTEXT user meeting in Epen NL,
> *March 24* and *March 25*.
>
>     http://context.aanhet.net/epen2007/index.htm
>
> So far, 20 people have registered and we have room
> for at most 30 (unless offsite). Any input about talks,
> topics, tutorials, activities, dev sessions, etc is welcome since
> we're free to schedule as we like.
>
> If you have questions about the how/when/where you can
> mail taco or me.

I have just put a programme online :

   http://context.aanhet.net/epen2007/programme.htm

I tried to do my best to listen to everybody's wishes, but there
were some conflicting requests that were unsolvable. I hope I have
not forced anyone into giving a talk while absent, but in any case,
the programme is preliminary, so just drop me a note if I messed up.

Best wishes,
Taco

* context meeting
@ 2007-01-30 15:46 Hans Hagen