* Re: mswintex.zip versus mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-08-27 16:03 Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2008-08-27 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

Don't know whether it is already answered or not, but if you have to run
scite.bat from mswincontext folder, not first-setup.bat. It should work out
of the box. First of all, build format files (Oprtions or Tools menu, don't
remember exactly), and then press F7 each time you compile a document.

Regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: mswintex.zip versus mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-08-28 16:23 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-08-28 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky <yatskovsky <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,Don't know whether it is already answered or not, but if you have to run
scite.bat from mswincontext folder, not first-setup.bat. It should work out of
the box. First of all, build format files (Oprtions or Tools menu, don't
remember exactly), and then press F7 each time you compile a
document.Regards,Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

I think making a screencast would save new users ALOT of time.  The following
might be useful;

a) http://www.screencast.com/
b) http://debugmode.com/wink/

Mohamed

* Re: mswintex.zip versus mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-08-28 18:17   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-28 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mohamed Bana wrote:
> Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky <yatskovsky <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,Don't know whether it is already answered or not, but if you have to run
> scite.bat from mswincontext folder, not first-setup.bat. It should work out of
> the box. First of all, build format files (Oprtions or Tools menu, don't
> remember exactly), and then press F7 each time you compile a
> document.Regards,Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

the formats should be in there already but i forgot to do that

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-08-27 13:44 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2008-08-27 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans et al,

For our students, I need to have Miktex and at least one of these
distributions (mswintex.zip or mswincontext.zip) coexisting side by
side.

I've got Miktex installed and working with the Texniccener IDE for
student use.

Now, I need to get context and metapost working properly (no longer
any mptopdf in the Miktex distro). Students don't deal well with DOS
boxes and terminals at first (they can grow into them), so what I
need is a scite icon on the desktop, that when clicked, will open and
work (for context and metapost).

I had already loaded mswintex.zip on each machine in our lab, run
first-setup.bat. I also installed Scite by downloading from the
scintilla site. I finally figured out that you need to import context
in the Globals, though (the http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/
mscite-p.pdf said it should work in user as well, which I could not
get to work.

So, as I understand it now, the difference is the mswincontext.zip
comes with perl and ruby, but we already have perl and ruby
installed. If I get rid of the gems (how?) then I should be able to
make progress?

What I need is students to have both scite and texniccenter running
at the same time. What are my best options?

Thanks.

D.