* Font questions once again...
@ 2008-08-25 20:46 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-08-25 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

And once again I am asking obout fonts in ConTeXt...  The point is that
I am not sure whether anything has changed since I've asked for the
previous time;).

I mean, I'd like to give Mk IV a try.  Most probably I will try to
maintain two different TeX installations at the same time, so a third
one (ConTeXt) won't be more trouble.  This means that I will (most
probably) install the Minimals so that they won't interfere with my
TeXlives (one 2008 and one much older).

So, the questions are:

* Is TeX Gyre support already working in MkIV?
* The page about Minimals on the wiki mentions LM, Antykwa Torunska,
  Iwona, Kurier, TeX Gyre, ams.  Does this means they are available
  there?  (And what about Antykwa Poltawskiego...?)
* How do I switch to any of these fonts (I mean for the whole document)?
* How do I (globally) change the size of the font?

Thanks in advance for the answers; of course, I'll try to post them to
the wiki as soon as I learn how to do these things.

Greets

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.faculty.fmcs.amu.edu.pl)

* Re: Font questions once again...
@ 2008-08-25 21:05 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-08-25 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 25, 2008, at 10:46 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> * Is TeX Gyre support already working in MkIV?
Yes

> * The page about Minimals on the wiki mentions LM, Antykwa Torunska,
>  Iwona, Kurier, TeX Gyre, ams.  Does this means they are available
>  there?  (And what about Antykwa Poltawskiego...?)
Yes. Maybe you can investigate yourself about Antykwa Poltawskiego

> * How do I switch to any of these fonts (I mean for the whole
> document)?
\usetypescriptfile[type-otf]
\usetypescript[times]
\setupbodyfont[times,12pt]

for Termes, or palatino for Pagella, or... Just look at $TEXMF/tex/
context/base/type-otf.tex

> * How do I (globally) change the size of the font?

\setupbodyfont[times,11pt] or 14pt or 9pt or...

Thomas

* Re: Font questions once again...
@ 2008-08-25 21:34   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-08-25 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:05:18PM +0200, Thomas A. Schmitz napisał(a):

> On Aug 25, 2008, at 10:46 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> > * Is TeX Gyre support already working in MkIV?
> Yes

Great!

> > * The page about Minimals on the wiki mentions LM, Antykwa Torunska,
> >  Iwona, Kurier, TeX Gyre, ams.  Does this means they are available
> >  there?  (And what about Antykwa Poltawskiego...?)
> Yes. Maybe you can investigate yourself about Antykwa Poltawskiego

Hmmm...  I'll try, but not now;).

> > * How do I switch to any of these fonts (I mean for the whole
> > document)?
> \usetypescriptfile[type-otf]
> \usetypescript[times]
> \setupbodyfont[times,12pt]
>
> for Termes, or palatino for Pagella, or... Just look at $TEXMF/tex/
> context/base/type-otf.tex
>

> > * How do I (globally) change the size of the font?
>
> \setupbodyfont[times,11pt] or 14pt or 9pt or...

Thanks for the prompt answer!!!  It's almost midnight in my timezone
now, so I won't post this to the wiki until tomorrow, but I'll try to
prepare a short tutorial for beginners about basics of font selecting.

--

@ 2008-08-25 22:14     ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-08-25 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> \setupbodyfont[times,11pt] or 14pt or 9pt or...
>
> Thanks for the prompt answer!!!  It's almost midnight in my timezone
> now, so I won't post this to the wiki until tomorrow, but I'll try to
> prepare a short tutorial for beginners about basics of font selecting.

You can modify this one : http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTex

Olivier.

--
[Message tapé sur un clavier Bépo : http://www.clavier-dvorak.org ]
http://nemolivier.blogspot.com

* Re: Font questions once again...
@ 2008-08-28  9:44   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-08-28  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:05:18PM +0200, Thomas A. Schmitz napisał(a):

> On Aug 25, 2008, at 10:46 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> > * Is TeX Gyre support already working in MkIV?
> Yes
>

> > * The page about Minimals on the wiki mentions LM, Antykwa Torunska,
> >  Iwona, Kurier, TeX Gyre, ams.  Does this means they are available
> >  there?  (And what about Antykwa Poltawskiego...?)
> Yes. Maybe you can investigate yourself about Antykwa Poltawskiego
>

> > * How do I switch to any of these fonts (I mean for the whole
> > document)?
> \usetypescriptfile[type-otf]
> \usetypescript[times]
> \setupbodyfont[times,12pt]
>
> for Termes, or palatino for Pagella, or... Just look at $TEXMF/tex/
> context/base/type-otf.tex
>

> > * How do I (globally) change the size of the font?
>
> \setupbodyfont[times,11pt] or 14pt or 9pt or...
>
> Thomas

Thanks again...  I tried to put some info on the wiki (as promised):
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/A_Beginner's_Guide_to_Using_Fonts_in_Mark_IV
However, I had serious problems with a few fonts.  After skimming
through type-otf.tex I thought these would work, but no - they don't...
(See the above page for which fonts generate problems.)  Also, please
check whether the page I've written is correct, especially the last
paragraph...

And one more problem, just out of curiosity: is
\usetypescriptfile[type-otf] really necessary?  Why is it not the
default (at least in MkIV)?

Greets and thanks in advance (as usual);)

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.faculty.fmcs.amu.edu.pl)

Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy about
telescopes.

	    (E. Dijkstra)

* Re: Font questions once again...
@ 2008-08-28  9:56     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-28  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Marcin Borkowski
<mbork@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Dnia Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:05:18PM +0200, Thomas A. Schmitz napisa&#322;(a):
>>
>> On Aug 25, 2008, at 10:46 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>>
>> > * Is TeX Gyre support already working in MkIV?
>> Yes
>>

>> > * The page about Minimals on the wiki mentions LM, Antykwa Torunska,
>> >  Iwona, Kurier, TeX Gyre, ams.  Does this means they are available
>> >  there?  (And what about Antykwa Poltawskiego...?)
>> Yes. Maybe you can investigate yourself about Antykwa Poltawskiego
>>

>> > * How do I switch to any of these fonts (I mean for the whole
>> > document)?
>> \usetypescriptfile[type-otf]
>> \usetypescript[times]
>> \setupbodyfont[times,12pt]
>>
>> for Termes, or palatino for Pagella, or... Just look at $TEXMF/tex/
>> context/base/type-otf.tex
>>

>> > * How do I (globally) change the size of the font?
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[times,11pt] or 14pt or 9pt or...
>>
>> Thomas
>
> Thanks again...  I tried to put some info on the wiki (as promised):
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/A_Beginner's_Guide_to_Using_Fonts_in_Mark_IV
> However, I had serious problems with a few fonts.  After skimming
> through type-otf.tex I thought these would work, but no - they don't...
> (See the above page for which fonts generate problems.)  Also, please
> check whether the page I've written is correct, especially the last
> paragraph...
>
> And one more problem, just out of curiosity: is
> \usetypescriptfile[type-otf] really necessary?  Why is it not the
> default (at least in MkIV)?

It is default for XeTeX and LuaTeX.

Wolfgang

* Re: Font questions once again...
@ 2008-08-28  9:58     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-28  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> And one more problem, just out of curiosity: is
> \usetypescriptfile[type-otf] really necessary?  Why is it not the
> default (at least in MkIV)?

it is loaded by default

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-08-28 10:03       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-08-28 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:58:35AM +0200, Hans Hagen napisa&#322;(a):
> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> > And one more problem, just out of curiosity: is
> > \usetypescriptfile[type-otf] really necessary?  Why is it not the
> > default (at least in MkIV)?
>
> it is loaded by default

Thanks, it's my mistake.

--

@ 2008-08-28 10:29       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-08-28 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Marcin,

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Marcin Borkowski
> <mbork@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
>> Thanks again...  I tried to put some info on the wiki (as promised):
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/A_Beginner's_Guide_to_Using_Fonts_in_Mark_IV
>> However, I had serious problems with a few fonts.  After skimming
>> through type-otf.tex I thought these would work, but no - they don't...
>> (See the above page for which fonts generate problems.)  Also, please
>> check whether the page I've written is correct, especially the last
>> paragraph...

I have not seen your original post yet, so I am replying to Wolfgang's
reply. It seems you have misunderstood the system slightly: the
predefined typescripts are given in table 1.7 of co-typography.pdf,
the tables in co-fonts.pdf are 'typescript building blocks', and those
cannot be used directly, you have to write (at least) a \definetypeface
line for those.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Font questions once again...
@ 2008-08-28 10:49         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-08-28 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:29:41PM +0200, Taco Hoekwater napisa&#322;(a):

> Hi Marcin,
>
> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Marcin Borkowski
> > <mbork@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> >> Thanks again...  I tried to put some info on the wiki (as promised):
> >> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/A_Beginner's_Guide_to_Using_Fonts_in_Mark_IV
> >> However, I had serious problems with a few fonts.  After skimming
> >> through type-otf.tex I thought these would work, but no - they don't...
> >> (See the above page for which fonts generate problems.)  Also, please
> >> check whether the page I've written is correct, especially the last
> >> paragraph...
>
> I have not seen your original post yet, so I am replying to Wolfgang's
> reply. It seems you have misunderstood the system slightly: the
> predefined typescripts are given in table 1.7 of co-typography.pdf,
> the tables in co-fonts.pdf are 'typescript building blocks', and those
> cannot be used directly, you have to write (at least) a \definetypeface
> line for those.

Well, "misunderstood" is not the right word - it seems I just don't
understand it yet...

I looked a bit at the type-otf.tex file.  At the beginning, it says
something like "\starttypescriptcollection[examples]".  Typescripts from
this \start...\stop block work correctly (with the exception of Antykwa
Torunska).  Typescripts from the outside don't work (with the exception
of Heros).  Maybe I should mimick these definitions somehow?  Still, the
cases of Antykwa Torunska and Heros are mysterious to me.

The table 1.7 you mentioned is also a bit strange: it mentions palatino
as "commercial".

What I was aiming at was: how to (easily) use the fonts "shipped with
ConTeXt" (i.e., the Minimals).  I would expect them to be usable "out of
the box"; if they are not, please consider this a bug report/feature
request;).  In fact, I would expect something like
\useptypescript[pagella]
\setupbodyfont[pagella]
work for the whole collection in the Minimals.
(BTW, why is pagella called palatino etc?  I guess that some aliases
could also be default?)

And thanks for the answer - I'm continuosly learning ConTeXt.  It
seems that it's not as nice and easy as I thought - but I hope that once
I start using it, more and more things will clarify.

> Best wishes,
> Taco

Greets

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.faculty.fmcs.amu.edu.pl)

<><

* Re: Font questions once again...
@ 2008-08-28 12:02           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-28 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Marcin Borkowski
<mbork@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Dnia Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:29:41PM +0200, Taco Hoekwater napisa&#322;(a):
>>
>> Hi Marcin,
>>
>> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>> I have not seen your original post yet, so I am replying to Wolfgang's
>> reply. It seems you have misunderstood the system slightly: the
>> predefined typescripts are given in table 1.7 of co-typography.pdf,
>> the tables in co-fonts.pdf are 'typescript building blocks', and those
>> cannot be used directly, you have to write (at least) a \definetypeface
>> line for those.
>
> Well, "misunderstood" is not the right word - it seems I just don't
> understand it yet...
>
> I looked a bit at the type-otf.tex file.  At the beginning, it says
> something like "\starttypescriptcollection[examples]".  Typescripts from
> this \start...\stop block work correctly (with the exception of Antykwa
> Torunska).  Typescripts from the outside don't work (with the exception
> of Heros).  Maybe I should mimick these definitions somehow?  Still, the
> cases of Antykwa Torunska and Heros are mysterious to me.

% Antykwa Torunska

\usetypescript[antykwa-torunska]
\setupbodyfont[antykwa]

\starttext
Antykwa Torunska
\stoptext

% Heros/Helvetica

\usetypescript[helvetica]
\setupbodyfont[helvetica,ss]

\starttext
TeX-Gyre Heros
\stoptext

> The table 1.7 you mentioned is also a bit strange: it mentions palatino
> as "commercial".

Pagella is a free Palatino clone.

> What I was aiming at was: how to (easily) use the fonts "shipped with
> ConTeXt" (i.e., the Minimals).  I would expect them to be usable "out of
> the box"; if they are not, please consider this a bug report/feature
> request;).  In fact, I would expect something like
> \useptypescript[pagella]
> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
> work for the whole collection in the Minimals.
> (BTW, why is pagella called palatino etc?  I guess that some aliases
> could also be default?)

Because it's a Palatino clone.

@ 2008-08-28 12:21           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-08-28 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> I looked a bit at the type-otf.tex file.  At the beginning, it says
> something like "\starttypescriptcollection[examples]".  Typescripts from
> this \start...\stop block work correctly (with the exception of Antykwa
> Torunska).  Typescripts from the outside don't work (with the exception
> of Heros).

The \starttypescriptcollection command is only relevant if
\preloadtypescripts is given. If that is not the case, you can
forget about it immediately. (and in the other case it is still
undocumented, but it should not matter)

 > Maybe I should mimick these definitions somehow?  Still, the
> cases of Antykwa Torunska and Heros are mysterious to me.

Answered by Wolfgang.

> The table 1.7 you mentioned is also a bit strange: it mentions palatino
> as "commercial".

You found a bug in the manual, I have corrected the table and uploaded
a new version. Please let me know if it makes more sense now.

> What I was aiming at was: how to (easily) use the fonts "shipped with
> ConTeXt" (i.e., the Minimals).  I would expect them to be usable "out of
> the box"; if they are not, please consider this a bug report/feature
> request;).  In fact, I would expect something like
> \useptypescript[pagella]
> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
> work for the whole collection in the Minimals.

The top-level typescripts provided by Hans are only examples. The
typeface buildingblocks (from the tables in co-fonts.pdf) are all
there, but the combination of those into typescripts (as in the top
of type-otf and type-one) is generally left to the user.

> (BTW, why is pagella called palatino etc?  I guess that some aliases
> could also be default?)

answered by Wolfgang

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Font questions once again...
@ 2008-08-28 23:55 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-08-28 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> * The page about Minimals on the wiki mentions LM, Antykwa Torunska,
>  Iwona, Kurier, TeX Gyre, ams.  Does this means they are available
>  there?  (And what about Antykwa Poltawskiego...?)

That font is a bit messy. It uses its own encoding (maybe qx) and
conventions and needs additional files to be functional in ConTeXt.
I'm still optimistically waiting for "Torunisation" of Poltawskiego :)

I do have documents using it, and I have scripts prepared to include
the font in the minimals ... but I need someone to convince me to
include it (again).

Mojca

* Re: Font questions once again...
@ 2008-08-29  5:42   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-08-29  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 01:55:29AM +0200, Mojca Miklavec napisa&#322;(a):
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> >
> > * The page about Minimals on the wiki mentions LM, Antykwa Torunska,
> >  Iwona, Kurier, TeX Gyre, ams.  Does this means they are available
> >  there?  (And what about Antykwa Poltawskiego...?)
>
> That font is a bit messy. It uses its own encoding (maybe qx) and
> conventions and needs additional files to be functional in ConTeXt.
> I'm still optimistically waiting for "Torunisation" of Poltawskiego :)
>
> I do have documents using it, and I have scripts prepared to include
> the font in the minimals ... but I need someone to convince me to
> include it (again).

well...  there is at least one person;) who would like to use it *very*
much, especially for documents not containing maths.  Unlike Antykwa
Torunska, it is very good for longer texts as well as one-pagers.  And
gives a very nice look to texts - especially for (maybe older) Poles,
who remember it from so many books...

--

@ 2008-08-29  7:33     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-29  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

>> I'm still optimistically waiting for "Torunisation" of Poltawskiego :)

actually the term used since lm came around and gyre started is
"lm-ination" which might be read as "elimination" of  mess -)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE