* Luatex fails to load a font
@ 2008-09-16 11:10 Eyke Höft
From: Eyke Höft @ 2008-09-16 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi!

I added a font called TypoOrnaments.ttf to my context-tree. Calling
"mtxrun --script fonts --list" gives the result

typoornaments                    TypoOrnaments
TypoOrnaments.ttf
typoornamentsmedium              TypoOrnaments
TypoOrnaments.ttf

Now I want to use it in my document with

\definefontsynonym [typoOrn]  [file:TypoOrnaments.ttf]    [features=default]
\definefont [typoO] [typoOrn sa *]

-> {\typoO test}

But luatex complains that it cannot find the font.

define font | forced type ttf of TypoOrnaments not found
define font | font with name TypoOrnaments is not found
define font | unknown font TypoOrnaments, loading aborted

Same thing with "name:...".

My code works when I change the definition for example to
texgyrebonum-regular.otf.

Any ideas why the other font isn't working?

Thanks in advance,
Eyke

* Re: Luatex fails to load a font
@ 2008-09-16 12:11 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-09-16 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eyke Höft wrote:

> My code works when I change the definition for example to
> texgyrebonum-regular.otf.
>
> Any ideas why the other font isn't working?

luatools --generate may help.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Luatex fails to load a font
@ 2008-09-16 12:30   ` holzminister
From: holzminister @ 2008-09-16 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Unfortunately that did nothing helpful. I ran first-setup.sh
additionally, but that didn't help either.

Regards,
Eyke

@ 2008-09-16 13:29     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-09-16 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 16, 2008, at 2:30 PM, holzminister wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Unfortunately that did nothing helpful. I ran first-setup.sh
> additionally, but that didn't help either.
>
> Regards,
> Eyke

So you're using the minimals...

1. Where exactly is TypoOrnaments.ttf?

2. output of
    luatools TypoOrnaments.ttf

3. is there a file TypoOrnaments.tma in your texmf-cache/luatex-cache/
context/****/fonts/otf directory?

4. output of luatools --expand-var TEXMF

Thomas

* Re: Luatex fails to load a font
@ 2008-09-16 14:03   ` holzminister
From: holzminister @ 2008-09-16 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, that's interesting. I thought it's not relevant where the fonts
are located.

The error appears when I put the font into
"context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public". But there are no problems
with the font in "context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/truetype". Why?

Cheers,

@ 2008-09-16 14:25     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-09-16 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The error appears when I put the font into
> "context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public". But there are no problems
> with the font in "context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/truetype". Why?

  The obvious answer would be: because your font has a .ttf extension.
And the obvious answer would be: since it has a .ttf extension, why do
you put it in fonts/opentype?

	Arthur

* Re: Luatex fails to load a font
@ 2008-09-16 14:41     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-16 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

holzminister wrote:
> Hmm, that's interesting. I thought it's not relevant where the fonts
> are located.
>
> The error appears when I put the font into
> "context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public". But there are no problems
> with the font in "context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/truetype". Why?

here i have

texmf-whatever/fonts/data/vendor/collection/somefont.somesuffix

i.e. the whole lot organized by vendor/collection instead of per file type

for that to work, you need to add texmf-whatever/fonts/data// to your
relevant font paths in texmf.cnf

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-09-16 18:29       ` holzminister
From: holzminister @ 2008-09-16 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I thought that OpenType is quasi an extended TrueType. Wikipedia says:
"OpenType Filename extension .otf, .ttf". So it isn't obvious why one
schould not mix the two parts in one directory.

Cheers,
Eyke

@ 2008-09-16 21:29         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-09-16 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-09-16 um 20:29 schrieb holzminister:

> I thought that OpenType is quasi an extended TrueType. Wikipedia says:
> "OpenType Filename extension .otf, .ttf". So it isn't obvious why one
> schould not mix the two parts in one directory.

OpenType can internally use TrueType outlines or PostScript outlines
(different algorithms). OpenType with PS outlines normally use
the .otf extension; OpenType with TrueType outlines are valid TrueType
fonts and therefore normally use the .ttf extension. But OpenType
fonts are never valid PostScript fonts.

By far not every TrueType font is OpenType compatible: OT-TT fonts
have their characters encoded in Unicode and may use OT features;
"normal" TT fonts often use default/custom one-byte encodings.

The ordering in the TeX tree is probably a matter of taste, but you
would even more confused to find .ttf fonts within the "truetype" as
well as "opentype" folders, for you can't know (without tools) what's
really in the font's guts. And don't you think it would be
questionable to draw a line between Unicode encoded TrueType fonts
with and without OpenType features?

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Luatex fails to load a font
@ 2008-09-17  6:57           ` holzminister
From: holzminister @ 2008-09-17  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/9/16 Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>:
> Am 2008-09-16 um 20:29 schrieb holzminister:

> OpenType can internally use TrueType outlines or PostScript outlines
> (different algorithms). OpenType with PS outlines normally use
> the .otf extension; OpenType with TrueType outlines are valid TrueType
> fonts and therefore normally use the .ttf extension. But OpenType
> fonts are never valid PostScript fonts.
>
> By far not every TrueType font is OpenType compatible: OT-TT fonts
> have their characters encoded in Unicode and may use OT features;
> "normal" TT fonts often use default/custom one-byte encodings.

Thanks for your explanation.

> The ordering in the TeX tree is probably a matter of taste, but you
> would even more confused to find .ttf fonts within the "truetype" as
> well as "opentype" folders, for you can't know (without tools) what's
> really in the font's guts. And don't you think it would be
> questionable to draw a line between Unicode encoded TrueType fonts
> with and without OpenType features?

OK, in some cases it makes sense to store them separated. But when I
download a font and don't know about its features, I first have to
analyse it to put it into the right folder.

@ 2008-09-17  7:08       ` holzminister
From: holzminister @ 2008-09-17  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's a good idea. I will try this later on.

Best regards,
Eyke

@ 2008-09-17  7:09             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-17  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:57 AM, holzminister
<holzminister@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/16 Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>:
>> Am 2008-09-16 um 20:29 schrieb holzminister:
>
>> OpenType can internally use TrueType outlines or PostScript outlines
>> (different algorithms). OpenType with PS outlines normally use
>> the .otf extension; OpenType with TrueType outlines are valid TrueType
>> fonts and therefore normally use the .ttf extension. But OpenType
>> fonts are never valid PostScript fonts.
>>
>> By far not every TrueType font is OpenType compatible: OT-TT fonts
>> have their characters encoded in Unicode and may use OT features;
>> "normal" TT fonts often use default/custom one-byte encodings.
>
> Thanks for your explanation.
>
>> The ordering in the TeX tree is probably a matter of taste, but you
>> would even more confused to find .ttf fonts within the "truetype" as
>> well as "opentype" folders, for you can't know (without tools) what's
>> really in the font's guts. And don't you think it would be
>> questionable to draw a line between Unicode encoded TrueType fonts
>> with and without OpenType features?
>
> OK, in some cases it makes sense to store them separated. But when I
> download a font and don't know about its features, I first have to
> analyse it to put it into the right folder.

No, you don't have to do this.

*.ttf -> fonts/truetype
*.otf -> fonts/opentype

You could also use them from your OS font directory (this is what I did).

Wolfgang

* Re: Luatex fails to load a font
@ 2008-09-17 12:29               ` holzminister
From: holzminister @ 2008-09-17 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do you do that? Added the relevant font pathes to texmf.cnf?

Cheers,
Eyke

@ 2008-09-17 12:38                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-17 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 2:29 PM, holzminister
<holzminister@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> No, you don't have to do this.
>>
>> *.ttf -> fonts/truetype
>> *.otf -> fonts/opentype
>>
>> You could also use them from your OS font directory (this is what I did).

> How do you do that? Added the relevant font pathes to texmf.cnf?

This depends on your system, on windows you could place them in
c:\windows\fonts and context finds them, on a Mac you could put them
in your local font directory and the y are also found. On linux you could
set the OSFONTDIR variable with the path to your font directory.

Wolfgang