* problem finding files (cygwin-related?)
@ 2008-09-18  9:32 Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2008-09-18  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I try to help a colleague who has successfully installed ConTeXt using
the Windows installer and has started typesetting some documents. His
installation has problems finding files. Using something like "\input
./path/to/file.tex" works OK, but this doesn't:
\externalfigure[./path/to/file.pdf] He gets a "figure ./path/to/file.pdf
can not be found"-error, while the same code works OK with my local
Windows in a VMware virtual machine. He happens to have cygwin installed
(I don't have it) and I was wondering whether that is the course of his
problems? How does cygwin interfere with finding the /path/to/the
picture file? Can I solve this by escaping the path in some special way?
Or would moving the picture to the current directory help?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jelle

* Re: problem finding files (cygwin-related?)
@ 2008-09-18 13:58 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-09-18 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Jelle Huisman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I try to help a colleague who has successfully installed ConTeXt using
> the Windows installer and has started typesetting some documents. His
> installation has problems finding files. Using something like "\input
> ./path/to/file.tex" works OK, but this doesn't:
> \externalfigure[./path/to/file.pdf] He gets a "figure ./path/to/file.pdf
> can not be found"-error, while the same code works OK with my local
> Windows in a VMware virtual machine. He happens to have cygwin installed
> (I don't have it) and I was wondering whether that is the course of his
> problems? How does cygwin interfere with finding the /path/to/the
> picture file? Can I solve this by escaping the path in some special way?
> Or would moving the picture to the current directory help?

Is he trying to compile the file on cygwin or on cmd.exe? Was ruby
installed for windows or for cygwin? Was another tex package installed on
cygwin which may be interfering with context binaries (cygwin resets the
paths when it is started).

Aditya

* Re: problem finding files (cygwin-related?)
@ 2008-09-18 14:41   ` Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2008-09-18 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya,
> Is he trying to compile the file on cygwin or on cmd.exe?
Both don't work.
> Was ruby
> installed for windows or for cygwin?
For cygwin.
> Was another tex package installed on
> cygwin which may be interfering with context binaries (cygwin resets the
> paths when it is started).
No.

We'll try to remove the path to the cygwin commands and install
standalone ruby for windows.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

@ 2008-09-18 16:09     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-09-18 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Jelle Huisman wrote:

> Hi Aditya,
>> Is he trying to compile the file on cygwin or on cmd.exe?
> Both don't work.
>> Was ruby
>> installed for windows or for cygwin?
> For cygwin.
>> Was another tex package installed on
>> cygwin which may be interfering with context binaries (cygwin resets the
>> paths when it is started).
> No.
>
> We'll try to remove the path to the cygwin commands and install
> standalone ruby for windows.
>
> Any other suggestions?

I had a hard time getting texexec to work with cygwin ruby? Although I
do not think that finding images is related to ruby. Try installing
windows ruby and run everything from cmd.exe. (And check the paths
carefully). This way you eliminate cygwin from the picture (It is
installed by not in the path). If the problem persists, then others on
windows should be able to reproduce it.

Aditya

* Re: problem finding files (cygwin-related?)
@ 2008-09-18 16:57       ` Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2008-09-18 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya,
> I had a hard time getting texexec to work with cygwin ruby? Although I
> do not think that finding images is related to ruby. Try installing
> windows ruby and run everything from cmd.exe. (And check the paths
> carefully). This way you eliminate cygwin from the picture (It is
> installed by not in the path).

This is what we did and that solved it.

Thanks!

Jelle