* typescript and font features bug?
@ 2008-09-19 13:35 Zhaopeng Xing
From: Zhaopeng Xing @ 2008-09-19 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

I am using the latest minimal and try to compile the following two files
with luatex. The second file, using typescript and font features together,
get a serious problem with the final pdf: punctuation centered unexpectedly
in lines. For the first files, with no font features specified, it is OK. I
do not know whether someone else can replicate this problem. But it
happended on my laptop. All compiled are attached in this email.

%FILE1: test1.tex
\starttypescript[serif][myserif][name]
\definefontsynonym[Serif][MinionPro-Regular][]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface [myserif] [rm] [serif] [myserif]   [default]
\usetypescript[myserif]
\setupbodyfont[myserif,rm,12pt]

\starttext
\input zapf
\stoptext

%FILE2: test2.tex
\definefontfeature[minion][language=dflt, script=latn, mode=node,
                           frac=yes, onum=yes, kern=yes, liga=yes, dlig=yes,
                           protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]
\starttypescript[serif][myserif][name]
\definefontsynonym[Serif][MinionPro-Regular][features=minion]

--
Zhaopeng XING

Tinbergen Institute

* Re: typescript and font features bug?
@ 2008-09-19 13:36 ` Zhaopeng Xing
From: Zhaopeng Xing @ 2008-09-19 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

The attachment.

--
Zhaopeng XING

Tinbergen Institute

[-- Attachment #2: att.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 17108 bytes --]

* Re: typescript and font features bug?
@ 2008-09-19 13:39   ` Zhaopeng Xing
From: Zhaopeng Xing @ 2008-09-19 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

btw, the MinionPro version in use is

Version 2.015;PS 002.000;Core 1.0.38;makeotf.lib1.7.9032

--

@ 2008-09-20 10:54 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-20 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zhaopeng Xing wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using the latest minimal and try to compile the following two files
> with luatex. The second file, using typescript and font features together,
> get a serious problem with the final pdf: punctuation centered unexpectedly
> in lines. For the first files, with no font features specified, it is OK. I
> do not know whether someone else can replicate this problem. But it
> happended on my laptop. All compiled are attached in this email.

\definefontfeature[minion][language=dflt, script=latn, mode=node,
                            frac=yes, onum=yes, kern=yes, liga=yes,
dlig=yes,
                            protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]
\starttypescript[serif][myserif][name]
\definefontsynonym[Serif][RegularBold][features=minion]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface [myserif] [rm] [serif] [myserif]   [default]
\usetypescript[myserif]
\setupbodyfont[myserif,rm,12pt]
\setupalign[hz,hanging]
\starttext
\input zapf
\stoptext

works ok; i don't have minion here (at least not an open type variant)
so i cannot test that font

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: typescript and font features bug?
@ 2008-09-20 11:00   ` Hans Hagen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-20 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zhaopeng Xing wrote:
> The attachment.

remark: using those st ligatures is pretty annoying (ok for older docs
in french etc)

the funny punctuation is probably due to the frac features .. i found
(in other fonts) that frac is a rather weird feature in the sense that
it has to be applied very selectively if only because the contextual
analysis definitions might not be complete at all

for me it makes such features rather useless and i'll probably cook up
my own solution by simply parsing the node list and replacing glyphs; on
the other hand, even then we end up with suboptimal outcome

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-09-20 16:24     ` Zhaopeng Xing
From: Zhaopeng Xing @ 2008-09-20 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems that the problem is only happened to my laptop. But I am sure that
the minimal was properly installed. Maybe is it a rpwt!

@ 2008-09-20 17:53       ` Jianning Dong
From: Jianning Dong @ 2008-09-20 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

well, rpwt is not an international word. I think you should wait for your rp
coming and reinstall it.

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Zhaopeng Xing <zpxing@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that the problem is only happened to my laptop. But I am sure that
> the minimal was properly installed. Maybe is it a rpwt!
>
> 2008/9/20 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
>
>> Zhaopeng Xing wrote:
>> > The attachment.
>>
>> remark: using those st ligatures is pretty annoying (ok for older docs
>> in french etc)
>>
>> the funny punctuation is probably due to the frac features .. i found
>> (in other fonts) that frac is a rather weird feature in the sense that
>> it has to be applied very selectively if only because the contextual
>> analysis definitions might not be complete at all
>>
>> for me it makes such features rather useless and i'll probably cook up
>> my own solution by simply parsing the node list and replacing glyphs; on
>> the other hand, even then we end up with suboptimal outcome
>>
>> Hans

>>                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>>               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>>      tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>>                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

> --
> Zhaopeng XING
>
> Tinbergen Institute

Hello world!
Every day is a new day.

* Re: typescript and font features bug?
@ 2008-09-21  5:26     ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-09-21  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can confirm it is related to the frac featue.
The fonts in Acrobat Reader work ok.
However, Adobe FontFolio version appears to produce the problem.
Moreover, Adobe Brioso has the same problem.

@ 2008-09-21  5:36     ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-09-21  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> remark: using those st ligatures is pretty annoying (ok for older docs
> in french etc)

Maybe that's why text in The Elements of Typographic Style disable the
dlig feature?
(In fact I love them and always enable dlig in my documents)

> the funny punctuation is probably due to the frac features .. i found
> (in other fonts) that frac is a rather weird feature in the sense that
> it has to be applied very selectively if only because the contextual
> analysis definitions might not be complete at all

But it is strange that other engines render it well...

@ 2008-09-21  7:23       ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-09-21  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe that's why text in The Elements of Typographic Style disable the
> dlig feature?
> (In fact I love them and always enable dlig in my documents)

BTW, all Adobe Fonts have  a bug: they puts ligatures like Th into the
liga feature, not dlig.

> But it is strange that other engines render it well...

I know why now: I have two different copies in texmf-fonts and osfontdir...

* Re: typescript and font features bug?
@ 2008-09-21 16:03         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-21 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
>> Maybe that's why text in The Elements of Typographic Style disable the
>> dlig feature?
>> (In fact I love them and always enable dlig in my documents)
>
> BTW, all Adobe Fonts have  a bug: they puts ligatures like Th into the
> liga feature, not dlig.

at some point i will provide an interface to correct for such errors;
after all, font vendors have no 'bug fixing' policy

>> But it is strange that other engines render it well...

maybe other engines know about the bugs -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-09-21 16:07       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-21 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> I can confirm it is related to the frac featue.
> The fonts in Acrobat Reader work ok.

they might not hav eall features; also, they're not supposed to be used
other than in acrobat

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE