* modes questions
@ 2008-09-11  9:47 Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-09-11  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

(1) --mode=modelist

(1.1) Is there a limit to the number of modes in modelist ?

(1.2) Is there a way to call the modelist and submit it to conditional
testing within ConTeXt ? For example, to lookup (true/false) the
presence of modes containing/starting with (an) alphannumeric
string(s) ?

(2) --modefile=file

(2.1) What's the syntax of a modefile ?

(2.2) How does ConTeXt handle a modefile ? Are the modes parsed into a
modelist ( re: question 1.2 ) ?

--
Best,
Alan

* using ConTeXt ver: 2008.08.18 14:00 MKIV fmt: 2008.8.22 int:
english/english (on Windows XP)

* Re: modes questions
@ 2008-09-11 10:46 ` Hans Hagen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-11 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (1) --mode=modelist
>
> (1.1) Is there a limit to the number of modes in modelist ?

no, just what the console and memory permit

> (1.2) Is there a way to call the modelist and submit it to conditional
> testing within ConTeXt ? For example, to lookup (true/false) the
> presence of modes containing/starting with (an) alphannumeric
> string(s) ?

\doifmodeelse{somemode} { } { } etc etc etc

> (2) --modefile=file
>
> (2.1) What's the syntax of a modefile ?

this concerns examodes stuff that we use for process control at pragma

> (2.2) How does ConTeXt handle a modefile ? Are the modes parsed into a
> modelist ( re: question 1.2 ) ?

best use ctx files instead, like in

== somefile.ctx ===

<?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>

<ctx:job>
     <ctx:preprocess/>
     <ctx:flags>
         <ctx:flag>texengine=luatex</ctx:flag>
         <ctx:flag>interface=en</ctx:flag>
     </ctx:flags>
     <ctx:process>
         <ctx:resources>
             <ctx:mode>proofing</ctx:mode>
             <ctx:environment>somestyle.tex</ctx:environment>
         </ctx:resources>
     </ctx:process>
     <ctx:postprocess/>
</ctx:job>

texexec .... --ctx=somefile

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: modes questions
@ 2008-09-11 10:52   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-09-11 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

>> (1.2) Is there a way to call the modelist and submit it to conditional
>> testing within ConTeXt ? For example, to lookup (true/false) the
>> presence of modes containing/starting with (an) alphannumeric
>> string(s) ?
>
> \doifmodeelse{somemode} { } { } etc etc etc

This presumes that you actually know the list of enabled modes, so
I think a commalist of "set modes" would be useful as well. Modules
could use that to set up keyword-based behaviours.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: modes questions
@ 2008-09-11 11:37     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-11 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> (1.2) Is there a way to call the modelist and submit it to conditional
>>> testing within ConTeXt ? For example, to lookup (true/false) the
>>> presence of modes containing/starting with (an) alphannumeric

\doifinstring

>>> string(s) ?
>> \doifmodeelse{somemode} { } { } etc etc etc
>
> This presumes that you actually know the list of enabled modes, so
> I think a commalist of "set modes" would be useful as well. Modules
> could use that to set up keyword-based behaviours.

there is already such a mechanism (thomas uses it in his module)

maybe at some point in mkiv we can provide the list because then i can
use lua for keeping track of things; maintaining a comma separated list
is tex is not that fast (and i use modes a lot to control styles that
need a high performance); think of

\enablemode[a,b,c]

and a large list of enabled modes that we need to check for already set
nodes (in lua it's just a hash and a the fill list a list-of-keys)

btw, this would make mkiv incompatible with mkii

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: modes questions
@ 2008-09-11 12:41     ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-09-11 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> (1.2) Is there a way to call the modelist and submit it to conditional
>>> testing within ConTeXt ? For example, to lookup (true/false) the
>>> presence of modes containing/starting with (an) alphannumeric
>>> string(s) ?
>>
>> \doifmodeelse{somemode} { } { } etc etc etc
>
> This presumes that you actually know the list of enabled modes, so
> I think a commalist of "set modes" would be useful as well. Modules
> could use that to set up keyword-based behaviours.

That's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying.

--

@ 2008-09-11 12:45       ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-09-11 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
> \doifinstring

>>> \doifmodeelse{somemode} { } { } etc etc etc
>>
>> This presumes that you actually know the list of enabled modes, so
>> I think a commalist of "set modes" would be useful as well. Modules
>> could use that to set up keyword-based behaviours.
>
> there is already such a mechanism (thomas uses it in his module)

Is this mechanism documented somewhere ?

@ 2008-09-17 19:11   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-09-17 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Alan Stone wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > (1) --mode=modelist
> >
> > (1.1) Is there a limit to the number of modes in modelist ?
>
> no, just what the console and memory permit
>
> > (1.2) Is there a way to call the modelist and submit it to conditional
> > testing within ConTeXt ? For example, to lookup (true/false) the
> > presence of modes containing/starting with (an) alphannumeric
> > string(s) ?
>
> \doifmodeelse{somemode} { } { } etc etc etc
>
> > (2) --modefile=file
> >
> > (2.1) What's the syntax of a modefile ?
>
> this concerns examodes stuff that we use for process control at pragma
>
> > (2.2) How does ConTeXt handle a modefile ? Are the modes parsed into a
> > modelist ( re: question 1.2 ) ?
>
> best use ctx files instead, like in
>
> == somefile.ctx ===
>
> <?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>
>
> <ctx:job>
>     <ctx:preprocess/>
>     <ctx:flags>
>         <ctx:flag>texengine=luatex</ctx:flag>
>         <ctx:flag>interface=en</ctx:flag>
>     </ctx:flags>
>     <ctx:process>
>         <ctx:resources>
>             <ctx:mode>proofing</ctx:mode>
>             <ctx:environment>somestyle.tex</ctx:environment>
>         </ctx:resources>
>     </ctx:process>
>     <ctx:postprocess/>
> </ctx:job>
>
> texexec .... --ctx=somefile

As I'm not familiar with XML, neither using ConTeXt with XML...

What if I want to pass a list of modes: mode1, mode2, mode3, .... ?

--
Best,
Alan

* ConTeXt ver: 2008.09.10 14:01 MKIV fmt: 2008.9.14 int: english/english
* Windows XP Home SP3

* Re: modes questions
@ 2008-09-17 20:59     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-17 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Alan Stone wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> (1) --mode=modelist
>>>
>>> (1.1) Is there a limit to the number of modes in modelist ?
>> no, just what the console and memory permit
>>
>>> (1.2) Is there a way to call the modelist and submit it to conditional
>>> testing within ConTeXt ? For example, to lookup (true/false) the
>>> presence of modes containing/starting with (an) alphannumeric
>>> string(s) ?
>> \doifmodeelse{somemode} { } { } etc etc etc
>>
>>> (2) --modefile=file
>>>
>>> (2.1) What's the syntax of a modefile ?
>> this concerns examodes stuff that we use for process control at pragma
>>
>>> (2.2) How does ConTeXt handle a modefile ? Are the modes parsed into a
>>> modelist ( re: question 1.2 ) ?
>> best use ctx files instead, like in
>>
>> == somefile.ctx ===
>>
>> <?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>
>>
>> <ctx:job>
>>     <ctx:preprocess/>
>>     <ctx:flags>
>>         <ctx:flag>texengine=luatex</ctx:flag>
>>         <ctx:flag>interface=en</ctx:flag>
>>     </ctx:flags>
>>     <ctx:process>
>>         <ctx:resources>
>>             <ctx:mode>proofing</ctx:mode>
>>             <ctx:environment>somestyle.tex</ctx:environment>
>>         </ctx:resources>
>>     </ctx:process>
>>     <ctx:postprocess/>
>> </ctx:job>
>>
>> texexec .... --ctx=somefile
>

> As I'm not familiar with XML, neither using ConTeXt with XML...
>
> What if I want to pass a list of modes: mode1, mode2, mode3, .... ?

just add more

<ctx:mode>anothermode</ctx:mode>
<ctx:mode>andanotherone</ctx:mode>

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: modes questions
@ 2008-09-20 15:17       ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-09-20 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are such macros possible ?

modes: ma, mb, ... mz
values: va, vb, ... vz
command: cmd
parameter: p

(1) instead of

\doifmode{ma}{\cmd[name][va]}
\doifmode{mb}{\cmd[name][vb]}
\doifmode{mz}{\cmd[name][vz]}

a macro which does: \doifmode{m*}{\cmd[name][v*]}

(2) instead of

\doifmode{ma}{\cmd[p=va]}
\doifmode{mb}{\cmd[p=vb]}
\doifmode{mz}{\cmd[p=vz]}

a macro which does: \doifmode{m*}{\cmd[p=v*]}

--
Best,
Alan

* texmfstart texexec --lua foo
* ConTeXt  ver: 2008.09.16 19:49 MKIV fmt: 2008.9.20  int: english/english
* Windows XP Home SP3

* Re: modes questions
@ 2008-09-20 16:07         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-20 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> Are such macros possible ?
>
> modes: ma, mb, ... mz
> values: va, vb, ... vz
> command: cmd
> parameter: p
>
> (1) instead of
>
> \doifmode{ma}{\cmd[name][va]}
> \doifmode{mb}{\cmd[name][vb]}
> \doifmode{mz}{\cmd[name][vz]}
>
> a macro which does: \doifmode{m*}{\cmd[name][v*]}
>
> (2) instead of
>
> \doifmode{ma}{\cmd[p=va]}
> \doifmode{mb}{\cmd[p=vb]}
> \doifmode{mz}{\cmd[p=vz]}
>
> a macro which does: \doifmode{m*}{\cmd[p=v*]}

nl, because there is no knowledge of what modes are set (i could cook
something up for mkiv or course)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: modes questions
@ 2008-09-20 16:19           ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-09-20 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Alan Stone wrote:
> > Are such macros possible ?
> >
> > modes: ma, mb, ... mz
> > values: va, vb, ... vz
> > command: cmd
> > parameter: p
> >
> > (1) instead of
> >
> > \doifmode{ma}{\cmd[name][va]}
> > \doifmode{mb}{\cmd[name][vb]}
> > \doifmode{mz}{\cmd[name][vz]}
> >
> > a macro which does: \doifmode{m*}{\cmd[name][v*]}
> >
> > (2) instead of
> >
> > \doifmode{ma}{\cmd[p=va]}
> > \doifmode{mb}{\cmd[p=vb]}
> > \doifmode{mz}{\cmd[p=vz]}
> >
> > a macro which does: \doifmode{m*}{\cmd[p=v*]}
>
> nl, because there is no knowledge of what modes are set (i could cook
> something up for mkiv or course)

Is there something like, or the equivalent of, one/two dimensional arrays in
(Con)TeXt ?

array1={ma, mb, ... mz}
array2={va, vb, ... vz}

or

array{{ma,va}, {mb,vb} ... {mz,vz}}

--

@ 2008-09-21 16:06             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-21 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Alan Stone wrote:
>>> Are such macros possible ?
>>>
>>> modes: ma, mb, ... mz
>>> values: va, vb, ... vz
>>> command: cmd
>>> parameter: p
>>>
>>> (1) instead of
>>>
>>> \doifmode{ma}{\cmd[name][va]}
>>> \doifmode{mb}{\cmd[name][vb]}
>>> \doifmode{mz}{\cmd[name][vz]}
>>>
>>> a macro which does: \doifmode{m*}{\cmd[name][v*]}
>>>
>>> (2) instead of
>>>
>>> \doifmode{ma}{\cmd[p=va]}
>>> \doifmode{mb}{\cmd[p=vb]}
>>> \doifmode{mz}{\cmd[p=vz]}
>>>
>>> a macro which does: \doifmode{m*}{\cmd[p=v*]}
>> nl, because there is no knowledge of what modes are set (i could cook
>> something up for mkiv or course)
>>

> Is there something like, or the equivalent of, one/two dimensional arrays in
> (Con)TeXt ?
>
> array1={ma, mb, ... mz}
> array2={va, vb, ... vz}

comma separated lists are used at several spots

but usage really depends on the problem to be solved

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: modes questions
@ 2008-09-29 15:00   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-09-29 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Alan Stone wrote:
> > (2.2) How does ConTeXt handle a modefile ? Are the modes parsed into a
> > modelist ( re: question 1.2 ) ?
>
> best use ctx files instead, like in
>
> == somefile.ctx ===
>
> <?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>
>
> <ctx:job>
>     <ctx:preprocess/>
>     <ctx:flags>
>         <ctx:flag>texengine=luatex</ctx:flag>
>         <ctx:flag>interface=en</ctx:flag>
>     </ctx:flags>
>     <ctx:process>
>         <ctx:resources>
>             <ctx:mode>proofing</ctx:mode>
>             <ctx:environment>somestyle.tex</ctx:environment>
>         </ctx:resources>
>     </ctx:process>
>     <ctx:postprocess/>
> </ctx:job>
>
> texexec .... --ctx=somefile

How about the other texexec options,
re: http://linux.die.net/man/1/texexec ?
Which ones go where in the ctx file
+ what is their syntax ?

--
Best,
Alan

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (Desktop)
  * ConTeXt  ver: 2008.09.16 19:49 MKIV  fmt: 2008.9.20  int:
english/english  (ConTeXt minimals installation)
  * texexec --lua foo

* Re: modes questions
@ 2008-09-29 20:37     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-29 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Alan Stone wrote:
>>> (2.2) How does ConTeXt handle a modefile ? Are the modes parsed into a
>>> modelist ( re: question 1.2 ) ?
>> best use ctx files instead, like in
>>
>> == somefile.ctx ===
>>
>> <?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>
>>
>> <ctx:job>
>>     <ctx:preprocess/>
>>     <ctx:flags>
>>         <ctx:flag>texengine=luatex</ctx:flag>
>>         <ctx:flag>interface=en</ctx:flag>
>>     </ctx:flags>
>>     <ctx:process>
>>         <ctx:resources>
>>             <ctx:mode>proofing</ctx:mode>
>>             <ctx:environment>somestyle.tex</ctx:environment>
>>         </ctx:resources>
>>     </ctx:process>
>>     <ctx:postprocess/>
>> </ctx:job>
>>
>> texexec .... --ctx=somefile
>>

> How about the other texexec options,

i implement them stepwise, i leave out those no longer relevant and all
--pdf* ones will be done with ctx files instead

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: modes questions
@ 2008-09-30  7:18       ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-09-30  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Alan Stone wrote:

> >> best use ctx files instead, like in
> >>
> >> == somefile.ctx ===
> >>
> >> <?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>
> >>
> >> <ctx:job>
> >>     <ctx:preprocess/>
> >>     <ctx:flags>
> >>         <ctx:flag>texengine=luatex</ctx:flag>
> >>         <ctx:flag>interface=en</ctx:flag>
> >>     </ctx:flags>
> >>     <ctx:process>
> >>         <ctx:resources>
> >>             <ctx:mode>proofing</ctx:mode>
> >>             <ctx:environment>somestyle.tex</ctx:environment>
> >>         </ctx:resources>
> >>     </ctx:process>
> >>     <ctx:postprocess/>
> >> </ctx:job>
> >>
> >> texexec .... --ctx=somefile
> >>

> > How about the other texexec options,
>
> i implement them stepwise, i leave out those no longer relevant and all
> --pdf* ones will be done with ctx files instead

Are there currently other ones than those listed above which already have
been implemented ?

How can one follow along which additional ones are implemented with the
update releases ?

--

@ 2008-09-30  7:23         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-30  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:

> Are there currently other ones than those listed above which already have
> been implemented ?
>
> How can one follow along which additional ones are implemented with the
> update releases ?

--help

or just looking at the code

i have no time to write/update a manual now

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE