* Extra space before itemize
@ 2008-10-10 17:22 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-10-10 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am setting up a head which simply puts its contents in a layer, so that
I can control where to place the head. If the head is followed by an
itemize, I get spurious white space. See the following test file. Page 1
is head followed by text, which is OK. Page 2 is head followed by itemize,
which has extra space. page 3 is just itemize which is ok.

\definelayer[test]
     [width=\paperwidth,
     height=\paperheight,
     x=5cm,y=1cm]

\def\mylayer#1#2{\setlayer[test]{#1#2}}

\definehead[testhead][subject]

\setuphead[testhead]
            [before=,
            after=,
            alternative=text,
            command=\mylayer]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=test]

\showframe
\showboxes

\starttext

\testhead{First}

\input knuth

\page

\testhead{Hello}

\startitemize
   \item A
   \item B
\stopitemize

\page

\startitemize
   \item A
   \item B
\stopitemize

\stoptext

How do I get rid of the extra space?

Aditya

* Re: Extra space before itemize
@ 2008-10-11 11:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-10-11 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a head which simply puts its contents in a layer, so that
> I can control where to place the head. If the head is followed by an
> itemize, I get spurious white space. See the following test file. Page 1
> is head followed by text, which is OK. Page 2 is head followed by itemize,
> which has extra space. page 3 is just itemize which is ok.
>
> \definelayer[test]
>      [width=\paperwidth,
>      height=\paperheight,
>      x=5cm,y=1cm]
>
> \def\mylayer#1#2{\setlayer[test]{#1#2}}
>
> \definehead[testhead][subject]
>
> \setuphead[testhead]
>             [before=,
>             after=,
>             alternative=text,
>             command=\mylayer]
>
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=test]
>
> \showframe
> \showboxes
>
> \starttext
>
> \testhead{First}
>
> \input knuth
>
> \page
>
> \testhead{Hello}
>
> \startitemize
>    \item A
>    \item B
> \stopitemize
>
> \page
>
> \startitemize
>    \item A
>    \item B
> \stopitemize
>

> \stoptext
>

> How do I get rid of the extra space?

hack

\def\mylayer#1#2{\startnointerference\setlayer[test]{#1#2}\stopnointerference}

\definehead[testhead][subject]

\setuphead[testhead]
             [page=,
              before=,
              after={\topskipcorrection\vskip-\topskip \blank[disable]},
              alternative=normal,
              command=\mylayer]

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-10-11 19:44   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-10-11 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am setting up a head which simply puts its contents in a layer, so that
>> I can control where to place the head. If the head is followed by an
>> itemize, I get spurious white space. See the following test file. Page 1
>> is head followed by text, which is OK. Page 2 is head followed by itemize,
>> which has extra space. page 3 is just itemize which is ok.
>>
>> \definelayer[test]
>>      [width=\paperwidth,
>>      height=\paperheight,
>>      x=5cm,y=1cm]
>>
>> \def\mylayer#1#2{\setlayer[test]{#1#2}}
>>
>> \definehead[testhead][subject]
>>
>> \setuphead[testhead]
>>             [before=,
>>             after=,
>>             alternative=text,
>>             command=\mylayer]
>>
>> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=test]
>>
>> \showframe
>> \showboxes
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \testhead{First}
>>
>> \input knuth
>>
>> \page
>>
>> \testhead{Hello}
>>
>> \startitemize
>>    \item A
>>    \item B
>> \stopitemize
>>
>> \page
>>
>> \startitemize
>>    \item A
>>    \item B
>> \stopitemize
>>

>> \stoptext
>>

>> How do I get rid of the extra space?
>
> hack
>
> \def\mylayer#1#2{\startnointerference\setlayer[test]{#1#2}\stopnointerference}
>
> \definehead[testhead][subject]
>
> \setuphead[testhead]
>             [page=,
>              before=,
>              after={\topskipcorrection\vskip-\topskip \blank[disable]},
>              alternative=normal,
>              command=\mylayer]

Thanks. I think that in this case it will be cleaner to not use heads in
this case and implement color, style, align interface by hand. I will
wikify your answer.

@ 2008-10-12 12:48     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-10-12 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am setting up a head which simply puts its contents in a layer, so that
>>> I can control where to place the head. If the head is followed by an
>>> itemize, I get spurious white space. See the following test file. Page 1
>>> is head followed by text, which is OK. Page 2 is head followed by itemize,
>>> which has extra space. page 3 is just itemize which is ok.
>>>
>>> \definelayer[test]
>>>      [width=\paperwidth,
>>>      height=\paperheight,
>>>      x=5cm,y=1cm]
>>>
>>> \def\mylayer#1#2{\setlayer[test]{#1#2}}
>>>
>>> \definehead[testhead][subject]
>>>
>>> \setuphead[testhead]
>>>             [before=,
>>>             after=,
>>>             alternative=text,
>>>             command=\mylayer]
>>>
>>> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=test]
>>>
>>> \showframe
>>> \showboxes
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \testhead{First}
>>>
>>> \input knuth
>>>
>>> \page
>>>
>>> \testhead{Hello}
>>>
>>> \startitemize
>>>    \item A
>>>    \item B
>>> \stopitemize
>>>
>>> \page
>>>
>>> \startitemize
>>>    \item A
>>>    \item B
>>> \stopitemize
>>>

>>> \stoptext
>>>

>>> How do I get rid of the extra space?
>> hack
>>
>> \def\mylayer#1#2{\startnointerference\setlayer[test]{#1#2}\stopnointerference}
>>
>> \definehead[testhead][subject]
>>
>> \setuphead[testhead]
>>             [page=,
>>              before=,
>>              after={\topskipcorrection\vskip-\topskip \blank[disable]},
>>              alternative=normal,
>>              command=\mylayer]
>
> Thanks. I think that in this case it will be cleaner to not use heads in
> this case and implement color, style, align interface by hand. I will
> wikify your answer.

you can achieve the same effect by just header=high and using a layer in
the command and flush it then

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE