* possible to run minimal in cygwin?
@ 2009-11-02 14:03 Chen Shen
From: Chen Shen @ 2009-11-02 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I wonder if it possible to run the MSWin version of context-minimal under
Cygwin.
I want to use Makefile and other unix tools to automate my build process.

I tried modifying the context/tex/setuptex script, and manually set the
platform variable to mswin,
but when I ran context.cmd, I saw the following error message. The
texmf-cache path actually exists.
Any hint? Thanks a lot!

======begin cut===========
[Administrator@cygwin test]$ context.cmd test1

Should I create the cache path /cygdrive/c/usr/docs/context/tex/texmf-cache?
[ye
s|no] [no]

Should I create the cache path /cygdrive/c/usr/docs/context/tex/texmf-cache?
[ye
s|no] [no]
MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

======end cut===========

regards,
shenchen

* Re: possible to run minimal in cygwin?
@ 2009-11-02 14:40 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-11-02 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chen Shen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if it possible to run the MSWin version of context-minimal
> under Cygwin.
> I want to use Makefile and other unix tools to automate my build process.

Whether you are a windows person or a unix person: if you want to add
enormous confusion to your life, start using cygwin!

If you have to stay with windows, why not use a more 'normal' make
port like the one in mingw32?

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: possible to run minimal in cygwin?
@ 2009-11-02 15:00 ` Bryant Eastham
From: Bryant Eastham @ 2009-11-02 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am doing exactly the same thing as you want. I believe your problem is in keeping your worlds (Windows/Cygwin) straight. It appears that you have installed minimals “inside” cygwin (depending on whether your /usr directory is your cygwin /usr directory).

I installed minimals “normally”, as it is a Windows application. I ran the context setups from Windows. Then I can build with no problems from within cygwin by running the minimals cmd files (although you must specify the extension from within cygwin). I did not have to modify any files at all.

So far, no problems. Just remember to keep your path information in “Windows” format, not cygwin.

-Bryant

@ 2009-11-03  3:01   ` Chen Shen
From: Chen Shen @ 2009-11-03  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bryant,

Thanks a lot! I got it working with your suggestion.
The exact sequence was:
 1. install ConTeXt in DOS cmd
 2. run setuptex.bat in DOS cmd
 3. enter cygwin by running cygwin.bat
 4. in cygwin prompt, run   context.cmd test.tex

Our docbook->pdf/html flow was developed in unix. But I need to port it to
Windows now for my colleagues.

regards,
shenchen

@ 2009-11-03 18:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chen Shen wrote:
> Hi Bryant,
>
> Thanks a lot! I got it working with your suggestion.
> The exact sequence was:
>  1. install ConTeXt in DOS cmd
>  2. run setuptex.bat in DOS cmd
>  3. enter cygwin by running cygwin.bat
>  4. in cygwin prompt, run   context.cmd test.tex
>
> Our docbook->pdf/html flow was developed in unix. But I need to port it
> to Windows now for my colleagues.

so best add that info to the wiki

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-11-03 19:01       ` Bryant Eastham
From: Bryant Eastham @ 2009-11-03 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans:

I would be happy to add that and several of my other "discoveries" to
the wiki. What is the process for establishing a login?

@ 2009-11-03 19:07         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-03 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 20:01, Bryant Eastham wrote:

> I would be happy to add that and several of my other "discoveries" to
> the wiki. What is the process for establishing a login?

You either need to create account (top right corner of the page) or
just edit page and solve a tiny math puzzle to prove you are not a
spammer (and not drunk); creating account is not a prerequisite to
edit the page.

If you happen to have problems with math challenges, write me off-list :) :) :)

Mojca

* Re: Spam:*****, Re:  possible to run minimal in cygwin?
@ 2009-11-03 19:53         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-03 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bryant Eastham wrote:
> Hans:
>
> I would be happy to add that and several of my other "discoveries" to
> the wiki. What is the process for establishing a login?

you can just edit pages

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE