* no hyphenation over right page break?
@ 2008-10-22 23:13 Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2008-10-22 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

In my project I \input a number of text files into a double-column
layout. One of the layout requests is: "no hyphenation over right page
breaks allowed". I can't think of a way to do this, but I would be happy
if someone knew a way to prevent hyphenation of the last word of the
last line in the second column on odd pages. (Yes, I can fix it later,
but I want to prevent it.) (Still on MkII)

Thanks,

Jelle

* Re: no hyphenation over right page break?
@ 2008-10-23  9:51 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-10-23  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jelle Huisman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In my project I \input a number of text files into a double-column
> layout. One of the layout requests is: "no hyphenation over right page
> breaks allowed". I can't think of a way to do this, but I would be happy
> if someone knew a way to prevent hyphenation of the last word of the
> last line in the second column on odd pages. (Yes, I can fix it later,
> but I want to prevent it.) (Still on MkII)

There is only \brokenpenalty :

   \brokenpenalty 10000
   \def\defaultbrokenpenalty     {10000}
   \def\defaultgridbrokenpenalty {10000}

This prevents ConTeXt from breaking any page after any line that ends
with a hyphen. That is not quite to what you asked, but it is about the
best that can be done automatically because in TeX, there is no direct
interaction between the paragraph breaker and the page breaker.

(well, you can probably patch the output routine in some way so that
this setting is only in effect on odd pages, but in multicolumn mode
the definition of "odd page" could be problematic).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: no hyphenation over right page break?
@ 2008-10-23 10:50   ` Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2008-10-23 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> There is only \brokenpenalty :
>    \brokenpenalty 10000
>    \def\defaultbrokenpenalty     {10000}
>    \def\defaultgridbrokenpenalty {10000}
>
> This prevents ConTeXt from breaking any page after any line that ends
> with a hyphen. That is not quite to what you asked, but it is about the
> best that can be done automatically because in TeX, there is no direct
> interaction between the paragraph breaker and the page breaker.

Thanks for this tip. I knew it would not work automatically, but this
helps at least to detect 'bad' page breaks.

Thanks,

Jelle