* Cyrillic filenames
       [not found] <mailman.1179.1225895259.31525.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2008-11-05 20:39 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2008-11-05 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

This is a question to dear developers: why can't I use cyrillic
filenames, and even spaces in filenames? It is weird to name Russian
texts using Latin transliteration.

For example, I'd rather have "песня про зайцев. tex" instead of
"pesnya_pro_zaicev.tex". Is this possible?

Best,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: Cyrillic filenames
@ 2008-11-06  8:03   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-06  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a question to dear developers: why can't I use cyrillic
> filenames, and even spaces in filenames? It is weird to name Russian
> texts using Latin transliteration.
>
> For example, I'd rather have "песня про зайцев. tex" instead of
> "pesnya_pro_zaicev.tex". Is this possible?

in xetex and luatex that is possible, since they are no longer 8 bit,
but even then there is the problem of the underlying operating system
that needs to use the same encoding for filenames as your tex document
that uses such files (in for instance \input)

You can just try what happens when you use such names (and use "" around
them).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE