* small problem with minimals
@ 2008-11-10 16:08 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-11-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi all, esp. Mojca,

I have encountered a small problem with the minimals: some metafun
stuff that Aditya and I use in our presentation module stopped working
recently (sorry, I can't tell when exactly). The error message is

!luaTeX error (file lm-rmtt.enc): cannot find encoding file for reading
  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
MtxRun | fatal error, code: 70

which is a bit bizarre (I thought luatex didn't use any enc files?).
Anyway, the same file compiles fine with the same version of ConTeXt
and luatex under texlive 2008 because there, the enc file is present:

luatools lm-rmtt.enc
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/lm-rmtt.enc

Should this file be added to the minimals or is there a different
problem somewhere down the line? If absolutely necessary, I can make a
minimal example, but it would take a lot of work...

All best

Thomas

* Re: small problem with minimals
@ 2008-11-10 16:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-10 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Should this file be added to the minimals or is there a different
> problem somewhere down the line? If absolutely necessary, I can make a
> minimal example, but it would take a lot of work...

it's probably the fallback font ... how is it used?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-11-10 16:55   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-11-10 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 10, 2008, at 5:16 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> it's probably the fallback font ... how is it used?
>
> Hans

In a metafun label (which I can't replace with \sometxt):

label.top(decimal value,origin) ;

Thomas

* Re: small problem with minimals
@ 2008-11-10 17:12     ` Hans Hagen
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-10 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2008, at 5:16 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> it's probably the fallback font ... how is it used?
>>
>> Hans
>
> In a metafun label (which I can't replace with \sometxt):
>
> label.top(decimal value,origin) ;

forget about sometxt ... that's mojca's personal hack

\starttext

\startMPpage
     numeric value ; value = 123 ;
     label.top(textext(decimal value),origin) ;
\stopMPpage

\stoptext

maybe i should patch the label macro

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-11-10 17:26       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-11-10 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> On Nov 10, 2008, at 5:16 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> it's probably the fallback font ... how is it used?
>>>
>>> Hans
>>
>> In a metafun label (which I can't replace with \sometxt):
>>
>> label.top(decimal value,origin) ;

>     label.top(textext(decimal value),origin) ;

Maybe that's the reason ...
    decimal value
will be typeset with metapost, while textext will be typeset with TeX.

I have a feeling that Hans defined "lmtt" as default (fallback) font
somewhere in metafun code, so that one gets used.

font-ini.mkii:%     [texnansi-lmtt10]
font-ini.mkii:%     [ec-lmtt10]
font-ini.mkii:%         [texnansi-lmtt10]
font-ini.mkiv:%         [texnansi-lmtt10]
meta-ini.mkii:      defaultfont:="rm-lmtt10";
meta-ini.mkiv:    defaultfont:="rm-lmtt10";
meta-tex.mkii:\definefontsynonym[MPtxtfont][texnansi-lmtt10]

But I have no idea when this has happened. I remember having to add
texnansi-lmtt because of XeTeX complaining of (most probably) exactly
the same thing. There are probably zero benefits if this gets fixed
back.

> forget about sometxt ...

[unless you work with mkii]

> that's mojca's personal hack

Suggestion that I need to forget XeTeX I guess :) :) :)

Mojca

* Re: small problem with minimals
@ 2008-11-10 17:33       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-11-10 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

> maybe i should patch the label macro

That will be great. It will be nice to have label.top("a string") be
equivalent to label.top(textext("a string")). That will work with both
mkii and mkiv (and xetex). This way, in MKIV, one can forget about
\sometxt and textext :-)

Aditya

* Re: small problem with minimals
@ 2008-11-10 17:46         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-10 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> maybe i should patch the label macro
>
> That will be great. It will be nice to have label.top("a string") be
> equivalent to label.top(textext("a string")). That will work with both
> mkii and mkiv (and xetex). This way, in MKIV, one can forget about
> \sometxt and textext :-)

only mkiv (ok, i can make some mechanism for mkii using multipass but
extending mkii has a real low priority)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-11-11 14:25       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-11-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> On Nov 10, 2008, at 5:16 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> it's probably the fallback font ... how is it used?
>>>
>>> Hans
>>
>> In a metafun label (which I can't replace with \sometxt):
>>
>> label.top(decimal value,origin) ;
>
> forget about sometxt ... that's mojca's personal hack
>
> \starttext
>
> \startMPpage
>     numeric value ; value = 123 ;
>     label.top(textext(decimal value),origin) ;
> \stopMPpage
>
> \stoptext
>
> maybe i should patch the label macro

And how could one change the font/style for the number?

Wolfgang

* Re: small problem with minimals
@ 2008-11-11 14:36         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-11-11 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> And how could one change the font/style for the number?

Do you mean with textext, or with the macro that Hans is proposing to
define?

textext(string) will typeset the string using context, so you can add
"\switchtobodyfont[whatever]" in there.

The new label macro can use labelfont (or defaultfont, I always forget
what metapost uses) to switch the font. In that case there should also be
a label color, unless
draw textext("something") withcolor red ;
works (sorry, I haven't tested this)

Aditya

* Re: small problem with minimals
@ 2008-11-11 14:45           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-11-11 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> And how could one change the font/style for the number?
>
> Do you mean with textext, or with the macro that Hans is proposing to
> define?

I mean in the example from Hans with textext(decimal value).

> textext(string) will typeset the string using context, so you can add
> "\switchtobodyfont[whatever]" in there.
>
> The new label macro can use labelfont (or defaultfont, I always forget
> what metapost uses) to switch the font. In that case there should also be
> a label color, unless
> draw textext("something") withcolor red ;
> works (sorry, I haven't tested this)

I prefer \doattributes with a setup command and use this in my modules.

Wolfgang

* Re: small problem with minimals
@ 2008-11-11 14:52             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-11-11 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>>> And how could one change the font/style for the number?
>>
>> Do you mean with textext, or with the macro that Hans is proposing to
>> define?
>
> I mean in the example from Hans with textext(decimal value).
>
>> textext(string) will typeset the string using context, so you can add
>> "\switchtobodyfont[whatever]" in there.

textext("\switchtobodyfont[12pt" & decimal value)

& is the metapost string concat operator (from memory, haven't verified
this)

Aditya