* Re: How to ged rid of temporary files, forever?
       [not found] <mailman.1563.1226563998.31525.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2008-11-13 13:16 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2008-11-13 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks, luigi.

context --purgeall works perfectly. =)

Best,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: How to ged rid of temporary files, forever?
@ 2008-11-13  9:44     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-13  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
> <yatskovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a folder where I store my tex sources and generated pdfs. The
>> problem is that now it is overflooded with temporary files (top,
>> tuo,log,...).
>>
>> I remember Hans wrote somewhere that LuaTeX will hold temporary files in
>> memory... But they are still there, on the disk.
>
> Buffers are stored in memory but you need external files for the references,
> lists (table of content, figures ...).

currently a mkiv run generates:

.tui -> becomes .tuo
.tua -> becomes .tuc

and the context script generates a .top file with options

then there is

.pdf
.log

now, the tui/tuo pair will go away once all multipass info is stored in
the tua/tuc files

that leaves:

jobname.tex (mandate)
jobname.tua (old multipass)
jobname.tuc (new multipass)
jobname.top (job options)
jobname.pdf (result, mandate)
jobname.log (mandate, no way in tex to turn it off)

so, it's not that many files at all; ok, i can try to save one of the
multipass files (for which i need random access in the file which might
be a problem on some os's) and deleting the job/log file can be an
option too (as in texexec) but there will always be multipass data (till
the moment that we have multiple runs in mem, which is on the agenda for
many year sfrom now)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-11-13  8:52   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-11-13  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

<yatskovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a folder where I store my tex sources and generated pdfs. The
> problem is that now it is overflooded with temporary files (top,
> tuo,log,...).
>
> I remember Hans wrote somewhere that LuaTeX will hold temporary files in
> memory... But they are still there, on the disk.

Buffers are stored in memory but you need external files for the references,
lists (table of content, figures ...).

> Yes, I know the --purge-all option, but it is too long to write "context
> filename --purge-all ", isn't it?

Not for me.

> It would be very nice if we could set an option somewhere (for example,
> in the registry) to NOT generate temporary files, and even log files (I
> never use them).

You could ask for a parameter in cont-sys.tex or a similiar file.

Wolfgang

* Re: How to ged rid of temporary files, forever?
@ 2008-11-12 23:52   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-11-12 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

yatskovsky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a folder where I store my tex sources and generated pdfs. The
> problem is that now it is overflooded with temporary files (top,
> tuo,log,...).
>
> I remember Hans wrote somewhere that LuaTeX will hold temporary files in
> memory... But they are still there, on the disk.
>
> Yes, I know the --purge-all option, but it is too long to write "context
> filename --purge-all ", isn't it?

Under mkiv I use
#>   context --purgeall
It deletes all *run, *tui, *top, *log

--
luigi

* How to ged rid of temporary files, forever?
       [not found] <mailman.1539.1226507363.31525.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2008-11-12 20:49 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2008-11-12 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I have a folder where I store my tex sources and generated pdfs. The
problem is that now it is overflooded with temporary files (top,
tuo,log,...).

I remember Hans wrote somewhere that LuaTeX will hold temporary files in
memory... But they are still there, on the disk.

Yes, I know the --purge-all option, but it is too long to write "context
filename --purge-all ", isn't it?

It would be very nice if we could set an option somewhere (for example,
in the registry) to NOT generate temporary files, and even log files (I
never use them).

Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yastkovsky