* ConTeXt + BibTeX problem
@ 2008-11-29 22:12 Guilherme P. de Freitas
From: Guilherme P. de Freitas @ 2008-11-29 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi everybody.

I have two files: "texfile.tex" and "references.bib". They are
attached and also copied in the bottom of the email.

There is one citation.

The **problem** is: the citation appears correctly in the body of the
text in the PDF, but the References list is empty. However, if one
changes line 14

\subsection{Top trading procedures}

\subsubject{Top trading procedures}

then everything works: the citation appears correctly *and* the
reference appears in the References list. I don't know why. Any ideas?

Here are the files:

\\---------- texfile.tex ----------

\usemodule[bib]
\setupbibtex[database={./references}]
\setuppublications[ refcommand=authoryear, sort=auhor]

\starttext

Let  $X = \{h_{1}, \ldots, h_{n} \}$ and $D$ be all the unitary subsets of $X$;
$N = \{1, \ldots, n\}$ and preferences given by linear orders (complete and
strict rankings) over $D$. This is the housing market introduced by
\cite{shapley_cores_1974}.

\section{Procedures}

\subsection{Top trading procedures}

% \subsubject{Top trading procedures}
% If we use "subsection" instead of "subsubject", the References disappear.

In the classic housing assignment problem, Gale's {\em top trade cycles} (TTC)
algorithm yields an efficient allocation that is in the core.

\completepublications
\stoptext

---------------------------------//

And the BibTeX file:

\\---------- references.bib ----------

@article{shapley_cores_1974,
  title = {On cores and indivisibility},
  volume = {1},
  journal = {Journal of Mathematical Economics},
  author = {Lloyd Shapley and Herbert Scarf},
  month = mar,
  year = {1974},
  pages = {23--37}
}

------------------------------------//

--
Guilherme P. de Freitas
http://www.gpfreitas.com

[-- Attachment #2: texfile.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: references.bib --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 303 bytes --]

---------- references.bib ----------

@article{shapley_cores_1974,
	title = {On cores and indivisibility},
	volume = {1},
	journal = {Journal of Mathematical Economics},
	author = {Lloyd Shapley and Herbert Scarf},
	month = mar,
	year = {1974},
	pages = {23--37}
}

* Re: ConTeXt + BibTeX problem
@ 2008-11-29 22:47 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-11-29 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guilherme P. de Freitas wrote:

> then everything works: the citation appears correctly *and* the
> reference appears in the References list. I don't know why. Any ideas?

Yes. Change this line

> \completepublications

\completepublications[criterium=all]

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: ConTeXt + BibTeX problem
@ 2008-11-29 23:54   ` Guilherme P. de Freitas
From: Guilherme P. de Freitas @ 2008-11-29 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Taco

Yes, that worked!

I tried to find documentation about \completepublications on the wiki
and on the documents at articles.contextgarden.net (looking at titles,
and searching the main Pragma-ADE manuals), but I didn't find any.
Actually, it is not the first time that I can't find the desired
documentation. Where can I find it? Is it somehwere in the sources?

Best,

Guilherme

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> Guilherme P. de Freitas wrote:
>>
>> then everything works: the citation appears correctly *and* the
>> reference appears in the References list. I don't know why. Any ideas?
>
> Yes. Change this line
>
>> \completepublications

> \completepublications[criterium=all]
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

Guilherme P. de Freitas
http://www.gpfreitas.com

* Re: ConTeXt + BibTeX problem
@ 2008-11-30  8:47     ` Taco Hoekwater
       [not found]       ` <49345DD9.3040308@googlemail.com>
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-11-30  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guilherme P. de Freitas wrote:
> Hi, Taco
>
> Yes, that worked!
>
> I tried to find documentation about \completepublications on the wiki
> and on the documents at articles.contextgarden.net (looking at titles,
> and searching the main Pragma-ADE manuals), but I didn't find any.
> Actually, it is not the first time that I can't find the desired
> documentation. Where can I find it? Is it somehwere in the sources?

The bibliography module has its own manual. There is a link here:

   http://modules.contextgarden.net/bib

but it is probably on your harddisk already as

   <context>/doc/context/bib/bibmod-doc.pdf

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: ConTeXt + BibTeX problem
@ 2008-12-01  1:16   ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-12-01  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

1.  Using \completepublications[criterium=all] produces the error message;

title           : - References
! Missing } inserted.
<inserted text>
                 }
<to be read again>
                    \dostopattributes
<argument> ...cation {shapley_cores_1974}\strut }}
                                                   \egroup \ifdim \wd
4=\zero...

\secondoftwoarguments #1#2->#2

\dosomelistelement ...hss \dostoplistattributes }}
                                                   \endgraf
\nointerlineskip ...

\dodolistelement ...ement {#1}{#2}{#3}{#4}{#5}{#6}
                                                   \global \utilitydonetrue
l.38 \completepublications[criterium=all]

?

I was using

ConTeXt  ver: 2008.10.31 13:58 MKIV  fmt: 2008.11.2  int: english/english

then I update to

ConTeXt  ver: 2008.11.30 14:39 MKIV  fmt: 2008.12.1  int: english/english

But the problem still persists.

2.  Compiling with the following using \completepublications and
\subsubject{Top trading procedures} or \subsection{Top trading procedures};

context testfile.tex

It comes out as;

This is the housing market introduced by Xxxxxxxxxx (0000).

and the 'References' is empty.

Instead of;

This is the housing market introduced by Shapley and Scarf (1974).

Why?

3.  Taco, could you please include a minimal example of using bibtex in
your bibmod-doc.pdf file please, much like what Guilherme has done.
It'll probably be a good idea to include about 3 references.

4.  Why is the [criterium=all] parameter needed?

%%% testfile.tex %%%
% engine=luatex
\enableregime [utf-8]
\mainlanguage[uk]
\language[uk]
\usemodule[bib]
\setupbibtex[database={./references}]
\setuppublications[refcommand=authoryear,sorttype=cite]%, sort=author]

\starttext
\cite{shapley_cores_1974}
\completepublications[criterium=all]
\stoptext

%%% references.bib - same as Guilherme's %%%

------------------------------------

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Guilherme P. de Freitas wrote:
>> then everything works: the citation appears correctly *and* the
>> reference appears in the References list. I don't know why. Any ideas?
>
> Yes. Change this line
>
>> \completepublications

> \completepublications[criterium=all]
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

* Re: ConTeXt + BibTeX problem
@ 2008-12-01  2:37       ` Mohamed Bana
       [not found]       ` <49345DD9.3040308@googlemail.com>
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-12-01  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Taco,

1.  How do I get coloured citations?  E.g., \cite[jacky:critial] should
produce a coloured link.
2.  If is possible to get the list of pages an item was cited at?  I'm
sure LaTeX could do this. E.g.,

Jacky, J.,
      1995. “Specifying a safety-critical control system in z”, in IEEE
Trans. Softw. Eng., Volume 21, Number 2, pages 99–106.  Page(s) 1,2,...n.

Thanks

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Guilherme P. de Freitas wrote:
>> Hi, Taco
>>
>> Yes, that worked!
>>
>> I tried to find documentation about \completepublications on the wiki
>> and on the documents at articles.contextgarden.net (looking at titles,
>> and searching the main Pragma-ADE manuals), but I didn't find any.
>> Actually, it is not the first time that I can't find the desired
>> documentation. Where can I find it? Is it somehwere in the sources?
>
> The bibliography module has its own manual. There is a link here:
>
>    http://modules.contextgarden.net/bib
>
> but it is probably on your harddisk already as
>
>    <context>/doc/context/bib/bibmod-doc.pdf
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

* Re: ConTeXt + BibTeX problem
@ 2008-12-01  7:07     ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-12-01  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 01 décembre à 02:16:10 Mohamed Bana <mbana.lists@googlemail.com> écrit notamment:

> [...]
>
| \starttext
| \cite{shapley_cores_1974}
| \completepublications[criterium=all]
| \stoptext
>
| %%% references.bib - same as Guilherme's %%%
| ---------- references.bib ----------
>
| @article{shapley_cores_1974,
|          title = {On cores and indivisibility},
|          volume = {1},
|          journal = {Journal of Mathematical Economics},
|          author = {Lloyd Shapley and Herbert Scarf},
|          month = mar,
|          year = {1974},
|          pages = {23--37}
| }
>
| ------------------------------------
>

| Taco Hoekwater wrote:
| > Guilherme P. de Freitas wrote:
| >> then everything works: the citation appears correctly *and* the
| >> reference appears in the References list. I don't know why. Any ideas?

Mohamed,

AFAIK the command "context" is not yet able to create the bbl file; if you
use "texexec myfile" (just once) the file will be created and
bibliographic references found. After that you can go back using context
for more compilations if needed.

I hope to see bibliography implemented in context soon...

cheers,
--
Jean

* Re: ConTeXt + BibTeX problem
@ 2008-12-01  8:06     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-12-01  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mohamed Bana wrote:
> 1.  Using \completepublications[criterium=all] produces the error message;

Because there is no bbl file, as Jean said. You should run bibtex
'by hand' in mkiv, but I'll upload a mkiv-aware version of the bib
module later today.

> 2.  Compiling with the following using \completepublications and
> \subsubject{Top trading procedures} or \subsection{Top trading procedures};
>
> Why?

Same reason as under 1.

> 3.  Taco, could you please include a minimal example of using bibtex in
> your bibmod-doc.pdf file please, much like what Guilherme has done.

Is that the biblatex guy?

> 4.  Why is the [criterium=all] parameter needed?

Because the default is to create local bibliography list (just like
local toc's ). This may have been the wrong decision, but it is too
late to change now, I fear.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: ConTeXt + BibTeX problem
@ 2008-12-01 10:03       ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-12-01 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 01 décembre à 09:06:20 Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> écrit notamment:

| Because there is no bbl file, as Jean said. You should run bibtex
| 'by hand' in mkiv, but I'll upload a mkiv-aware version of the bib
| module later today.

Strange! My experience is that texexec with «%engine=luatex» on top of the
file creates the bbl file, so mkiv seems to be able to work with bibtex
already.

cheers,
--
Jean

* Re: ConTeXt + BibTeX problem
@ 2008-12-01 10:28         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-12-01 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
> Le 01 décembre à 09:06:20 Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> écrit notamment:
>
> | Because there is no bbl file, as Jean said. You should run bibtex
> | 'by hand' in mkiv, but I'll upload a mkiv-aware version of the bib
> | module later today.
>
> Strange! My experience is that texexec with «%engine=luatex» on top of the
> file creates the bbl file, so mkiv seems to be able to work with bibtex
> already.

"texexec" does, "context" doesn't (yet). I have uploaded a patched
version of the bib module that runs bibtex internally in mkiv mode.

@ 2008-12-02  9:05         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-12-02  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mohamed Bana wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
> 1.  How do I get coloured citations?  E.g., \cite[jacky:critial] should
> produce a coloured link.

  \setupinteraction[state=start]
  \setupcolors[state=start]
  \setupcite[compress=no]

> 2.  If is possible to get the list of pages an item was cited at?

Sorry, no. The backreferences are in saved in the tuo file, but
I never got around to writing the integration code for it.

In case someone is interested in writing that, it needs a loop like
this one:

\unprotect
\def\getpagelist#1%
  {\let\pagelist \empty
   \def\currentbibitem{#1}%
   \doloop
     {\doifdefinedelse{\r!cross cite-\jobname-\recurselevel}
        {\doifreferencefoundelse
         {cite-\jobname-\recurselevel}
         {\ifx\currenttextreference\currentbibitem\relax
             \doglobal\addtocommalist
                  {cite-\jobname-\recurselevel}\pagelist
          \fi }
          {}}
        {\exitloop}}%
   % \pagelist is now the list of backreferences for #1
   \message{\pagelist}%
  }
\protect

Best wishes,