* \hspace variations
       [not found] <mailman.1.1229166006.27182.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2008-12-14  1:55 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
       [not found]   ` <F1282B7D-056E-4CB5-8CCF-C665D2AF23DA@gmail.com>
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2008-12-14  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I have some problems with \hspace. I try to insert it between two
images, and this is what I get
1) \hspace{1cm} or \hspace<1cm> gives space  but writes "1cm" betwen images;
2) \hspace[1cm] does not work at all
3) \hspace[big] works fine, but \hspace[2*big] does not

I want to get space twice as big, but how?

Best,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: \hspace variations
@ 2008-12-14 14:24   ` Peter Rolf
       [not found]   ` <F1282B7D-056E-4CB5-8CCF-C665D2AF23DA@gmail.com>
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-12-14 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I have some problems with \hspace. I try to insert it between two
> images, and this is what I get
> 1) \hspace{1cm} or \hspace<1cm> gives space  but writes "1cm" betwen
> images;
> 2) \hspace[1cm] does not work at all
> 3) \hspace[big] works fine, but \hspace[2*big] does not
>
> I want to get space twice as big, but how?

\definehspace[2*big] [2\emspaceamount] % [1] name [2] dimension

\starttext

A big big \hspace[2*big] space.

\stoptext

In this case '2*big' is the name of that skip, not the dimension value.
See core-spa.tex for definitions of \hspace, \definehspace and
\hspaceamount.

Best wishes, Peter

> Best,
> Vyatcheslav

* Re: \hspace variations
       [not found]   ` <F1282B7D-056E-4CB5-8CCF-C665D2AF23DA@gmail.com>
@ 2008-12-15 23:19     ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2008-12-15 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Schuster, ntg-context

Thank you, Wolfgang, for your solution. Seems like \hspace cannot take
numeric values at the moment, only predefined constants like "big".
Maybe it is reasonable to include your code below into context core files?

Meanwhile, I used "\hskip 2cm", it worked fine.

>> I have some problems with \hspace. I try to insert it between two
>> images, and this is what I get
>> 1) \hspace{1cm} or \hspace<1cm> gives space  but writes "1cm" betwen
>> images;
>> 2) \hspace[1cm] does not work at all
>> 3) \hspace[big] works fine, but \hspace[2*big] does not
>>
>> I want to get space twice as big, but how?
> Hello,
>
> \unprotect
>
> \def\dodohspace[#1][#2]%
>   {\def\dododohspace##1{\dodododohspace{#1}{##1}}%
>    \ifhmode
>      \removeunwantedspaces
>      \dorepeatwithcommand[#2]\dododohspace
>      \expandafter\ignorespaces
>     \fi}
>
> \def\dodododohspace#1#2%
>   {\hskip\hspaceamount{#1}{#2}}
>
> \def\hspaceamount#1#2%
>   {\executeifdefined{\??hs#1:#2}{\executeifdefined{\??hs:#2}{#2\relax}}}
>
> \protect
>
> \starttext
>
> text \hspace[big] text
>
> text \hspace[2*big] text