From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Does ConTeXt really support russian language?
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:01:03 +0100	[thread overview]

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 25.12.2008 um 16:49 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> I'm still curious: what's the difference between cm-super and
>> cm-unicode (apart from size and different format)?
>
> cm-super: type1
> cm-unicode: opentype
>
> Their main purpose is to create free good quality fonts for use
> in X applications supporting many languages. (cm unicode [1])
>
>> One thing that I would like to see preserved within minimals is "full
>> compatibility" in the sense that what works in minimals should also
>> work on TeX Live and MikTeX. Maybe not today because TeX Live is
>> outdated and MikTeX dropped support for ConTeXt for some unpredictable
>> amount of time, but a year later or if someone updates ConTeXt in TeX
>> Live.)
>>
>> In the old ConTeXt distribution there were lots of files that were not
>> present anywhere else, so what worked in the ConTeXt distribution did
>> not work in TeX Live or Minimals which is a pity. Such
>> incompatibilities should be solved in other ways.
>>
>> So I would prefer to add packages that are on CTAN (or are planned to
>> go there) and have some potential to become part of MikTeX and TeX
>> Live. Is anyone working on cm-unicode being added to CTAN (preferrably
>> in TDS-compliant way)? Does that make sense?
>

> I can make a package and put it on CTAN but the question is, do you
> want them in the minimals, do we need type1 files and if yes for which
> encodings, only t2a or more.

the problem with cmsuper is that as soon as we start adding that the
minimals get bloated; for that reason some time ago we had only a small
subset ... only 10 pt sized for cmsuper and cbgreek (and then one should
use the generic 10 pt design size typescript instead of the cm scaled
ones); after all, the traces are suboptimal anyway

however, the best would be

- to add cyrillic to lm and all gyre fonts
- but for that to happen we need to have the proper shapes

now, for gyre there is some support but its suboptimal (as it seems hard
to get cytillic users organized to support this development and do the
needed QA)

for lm i can imagine that we try to 'launch' a project that makes it
happen but this can only be done if there is some real input from the
cyrillic user community

so, the bottom line is: if you want cyrillic in these fonts, then get
organized and it might happen

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE