* specific document layout with ConTeXt
@ 2008-12-28  1:36 Brecht Machiels
       [not found] ` <alpine.LNX.2.00.0812281040040.16071@nqv-yncgbc>
From: Brecht Machiels @ 2008-12-28  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I have some experience using LaTeX as I have used it to typeset two
master theses. Having started a PhD a year ago, the need to write some
publications arises. However, while IEEE conferences/journals used to
offer LaTeX templates in the past (as far as I know), it seems that
recently LaTeX support is being dropped and only MS Word templates are
offered. Take for example the RFIC 2009 conference:
http://www.rfic2009.org/rfic2009/authorguide.html

Considering my more-or-less good experiences with LaTeX in the past, I
still prefer to write a publication using LaTeX, and not Word. This
would require me to copy the MS Word template in LaTeX. However, I do
remember that fine-tuning things to look just the way I want in LaTeX
can result in quite the headache. That's why I started looking for
alternatives.

Initially discarding TeX and all it's descendents because they are 'not
very modern', I ended up with Lout (http://lout.wiki.sourceforge.net/).
This looked quite promising, as I managed to closely approximate the
Word template by means of adjusting the options to the "report" document
class Lout offers (not considering images and tabled for the moment):
http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~bmachiel/rfic/rfic2009f
By extending the reportf class definition, I also managed to add an
"index terms" section:
http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~bmachiel/rfic/rfic2009f
This was all surprisingly painless. The document lout source and pdf are at:
http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~bmachiel/rfic/template.lout
http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~bmachiel/rfic/template_lout.pdf

However, trying to learn more about Lout -- for example to change
subsection numbering -- it seems that the programming language that Lout
offers confuses me almost as much as TeX macros do. Perhaps my mind is
accustomed too much to nice object-oriented languages like Python and I
simply cannot be bothered by this complex stuff anymore. (a Python-based
typesetting system; now that would be heaven... maybe)

Some other things bother me about Lout:
* Much smaller userbase than (La)TeX. Will I find the help I need?
* No means of "inheriting" the report class and changing it. I have to
physically copy the class definition and change the code. I recall it is
possible to do some kind of redefinition in TeX, right?

In looking for an alternative to this alternative, I found that the TeX
community is very much alive. Even though TeX's 'not very modern'-ness,
these new developments might offer something interesting. I remembered
that ConTeXt, unlike LaTeX, allows much finer control over the layout of
a document. Hence, it would probably be the next candidate for this
little typesetting adventure of mine. Today, I finally got my hands
dirty and tried to recreate the RFIC2009 template using ConTeXt.

Unfortunately, due to a lack of a good document class to start with, it
is proving to be much more difficult to create something that resembles
the Word template. As I have also read on this mailing list, the
documentation, while there is plently to be found, is a bit messy.
Appareantly the documentation is not up to date with ConTeXt? Perhaps it
would be good to remove outdated documentation and clearly present only
one reference manual (the most up to date) to the new user.

I did find some samples on the wiki, but the first two that I tried to
compile apparently required some extra packages. Also, while I always
thought it was a good idea to seperate content and layout, some of the
examples on the wiki seem to suggest to mix them. Or is this the
philosophy behind ConTeXt?

May I suggest some work is put into creating some basic (plain) document
templates (well-commented) which can be used by ConTeXt newbies, but can
also be used as starting points for creating new templates?

On to the template then.

http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~bmachiel/rfic/rfic2009.tex
This is a first attempt at creating an environment to describe the
layout of the template. As you can see, I have not yet gotten far. I
copied the title code from the contextgarden wiki. The TeX code makes me
shiver however. I will have to catch up on that.

http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~bmachiel/rfic/template.tex
This is the template itself. I basically want this file to contain as
little layout stuff as possible. I would like to define the title,
author, abstract and index terms before \starttext. If possible, the
environment should place those parts automatically without having to
specify \placetitle after \starttext.

I was hoping that the friendly people on this mailing list might help me
get started in creating this template. Let's start with the following:
* title, author, abstract and index terms as explained above
* the fact that there are 2 columns should be specified in the environment
* define title, author, abstract and index terms fonts clearly, similar
as in the Lout rfic2009 file and use this information to format the
title stuff.

Looking at the countless documents that show off ConTeXt, it is obvious
that it is very much possible of creating custom layouts. However, I
wonder, how much TeX hacking is required?

Kind regards,
Brecht

* Re: specific document layout with ConTeXt
@ 2008-12-28 23:56 Brecht Machiels
From: Brecht Machiels @ 2008-12-28 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

A big thanks to both Aditya and Wolfgang for their example
styles/documents. This will help me (and perhaps also others) get
familiar with ConTeXt much faster than any manual could. Aditya, could
you also post a document that uses the IEEE module? It is not clear to
me how I should specify the title, for example.

Wolfgang's module looks very clean and is even somewhat similar to the
way Lout's report class can be configured by means of the parameters.
This, I like alot and is basically what I was looking for in ConTeXt.

Unfortunately there is no small caps included in URW Times. I have tried
installing the Gyre fonts, but that was not very successful. What is the
easiest way to end up with a SC Times font? Or should I just fake it
using a construct simular to what is described in
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2006/020929.html? This will not
allow me to specify it as a style to \setuphead however, I assume?

Kind regards,
Brecht

PS. Sorry for not properly replying to the thread. But I only subscribed
  just now and Mailman does not support retrieving old messages...

[parent not found: <mailman.3940.1230479853.19169.ntg-context@ntg.nl>]