* scratchdimen mess (alpha)
@ 2009-01-05 13:27 Peter Rolf
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-01-05 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

can someone test the attached example with the (latest) alpha version of
ConTeXt?
Using mkiv I get no additional space in case of the \scratchdimen example.
I tried it with two new installations (minimals) from the scratch and
also used several luatex versions, but the error remains. Strange...

Best wishes, Peter

MtxRun | current version: 2009.01.04 22:10
This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.30.3-2008112822, build 1587
OS is Windows XP SP3

[-- Attachment #2: space.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 356 bytes --]

\starttext

\def\Space#1#2%
  {\framed[width=#1,height=#2,frame=on,framecolor=green,rulethickness=.25pt,offset=overlay]{}}

\scratchdimen\dimexpr3cm\relax
\newdimen\MYscratchdimA
\MYscratchdimA\dimexpr3cm\relax

A dummy placeholder to skip \Space\scratchdimen{1ex} some space.

A dummy placeholder to skip \Space\MYscratchdimA{1ex} some space.

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: space.pdf --]

* Re: scratchdimen mess (alpha)
@ 2009-01-05 13:46 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-05 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.01.2009 um 14:27 schrieb Peter Rolf:

> Hi all,
>
> can someone test the attached example with the (latest) alpha
> version of ConTeXt?
> Using mkiv I get no additional space in case of the \scratchdimen
> example.
> I tried it with two new installations (minimals) from the scratch
> and also used several luatex versions, but the error remains.
> Strange...

\scratchdimen is a internal value and redefined in the \framed macro,
you get different results in MkII and MkIV because both use their own
definition of \framed.

Wolfgang

* Re: scratchdimen mess (alpha)
@ 2009-01-05 13:57 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-01-05 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> can someone test the attached example with the (latest) alpha version of
> ConTeXt?
> Using mkiv I get no additional space in case of the \scratchdimen example.
> I tried it with two new installations (minimals) from the scratch and also
> used several luatex versions, but the error remains. Strange...
>
> Best wishes, Peter
>

> MtxRun | current version: 2009.01.04 22:10
> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.30.3-2008112822, build 1587
> OS is Windows XP SP3

The same "error" is in the month old context and luatex that I have.  I
suspect that framed or the page builder is using \scratchdimen internally,
and that is messing things up.

Aditya

* Re: scratchdimen mess (alpha)
@ 2009-01-05 13:58 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-01-05 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> can someone test the attached example with the (latest) alpha version of
> ConTeXt?
> Using mkiv I get no additional space in case of the \scratchdimen example.
> I tried it with two new installations (minimals) from the scratch and
> also used several luatex versions, but the error remains. Strange...

well, you can never rely on scratchdimen not being used inside the macro
that you call (in this case it's used right at the start of \framed)

for mkiv i now use a local scratchdimen but you can not rely on that to
happen fro all places where i use scratcdimen myself

\def\Space#1#2%
  {\expanded
     {\framed
        [width=\the\dimexpr#1\relax,
         height=\the\dimexpr#1\relax,
         frame=on,
         framecolor=green,
         rulethickness=.25pt,
         offset=overlay]}
        {}}

or so is another solution

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: scratchdimen mess (alpha)
@ 2009-01-05 14:15   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-01-05 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:

> Am 05.01.2009 um 14:27 schrieb Peter Rolf:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> can someone test the attached example with the (latest) alpha version
>> of ConTeXt?
>> Using mkiv I get no additional space in case of the \scratchdimen
>> example.
>> I tried it with two new installations (minimals) from the scratch and
>> also used several luatex versions, but the error remains. Strange...
>
> \scratchdimen is a internal value and redefined in the \framed macro,
> you get different results in MkII and MkIV because both use their own
> definition of \framed.

ok. So the mess was on my side. :)

Thanks Wolfgang !

> Wolfgang

* Re: scratchdimen mess (alpha)
@ 2009-01-05 15:05   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-01-05 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> can someone test the attached example with the (latest) alpha version
>> of ConTeXt?
>> Using mkiv I get no additional space in case of the \scratchdimen
>> example.
>> I tried it with two new installations (minimals) from the scratch and
>> also used several luatex versions, but the error remains. Strange...
>
> well, you can never rely on scratchdimen not being used inside the
> macro that you call (in this case it's used right at the start of
> \framed)

i forgot for one second, that context is evolving...  :)
> for mkiv i now use a local scratchdimen but you can not rely on that
> to happen fro all places where i use scratcdimen myself

no need to change things on your side. i already use private
(scratchdimen) registers in nearly all of my macros, so i'll simply fix
the remaining ones.