From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: for the brave
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:08:19 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

I uploaded beta zip with a prelude to the new structure related code. I
hope that I didn't forget files.

   context --make xp

will generate the experimental format (you really need a luatools
--generate because there are many new files).

With

   context --interface=xp yourfile

will use that format. Eventually the xp format will go away but this is
a nice intermediate step for those who are willing to help debugging the
code.

Those who look into the source ... it all happens in strc-*.tex|lua and
when you look in the tua/tuc file you see what is carried around (this
will be optimized). Much code still needs a rewrite.

The format file is slightly smaller and less hash space is used, in
spite of more functionality. This is a side effect of a more dynamic
inheritance model (slower, but not so much an issue noaways and
compensated by speedups in other areas like one time multipass data
reading).

For xml users: although somewhat experimental, we now have roundtrip xml
  in lists (and some other constructs, more to come).

\setuphead[chapter][expansion=xml]

This only works for mkiv xml, as we also keep track of the document root
in order to apply the right setups.

For Aditya: numbering of math is redone and soon we have to split up
strc-mat into pieces (when we start doing unicode math) but you can
already have a look at it.

Don't worry too much if your documents crash. I simply cannot test
everything so it might be a good opportunity for volunteers to help
documenting behaviour and making tests.

The main incompatibilities are in the numbering: we now use sets for
numbering, seperators, converters etc as well as processors for specific
layout of these thingies. This info is carried around so that
intermediate style changes are reflected in tables of contents and
references (of course they can be overloaded). It's the price we pay fro
more flexibility.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE