* Howto make citations work in aps bibtex
@ 2009-01-21  9:46 Jan-Erik Hägglöf
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf @ 2009-01-21  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt-maillist

Hi All!

Have an issue getting \cite command working properly. Working on a
undergraduate thesis in physics and the bibliography.

I have read in bibmod-doc.pdf(Tacos manual) and also on the wiki about
how to make this work properly. So I did set this in the preamble of my
document. It sees the referenser.bib and a proper *.bbl file is
produced.

\usemodule  [bib]
\usemodule[bibltx]
\setupbibtex[database=referenser]
\setuppublications    [alternative=aps,criterium=all]

\starttext
\cite[ref] does only display [1] as a result.
\stoptext

I tried \cite[authoryear][ref] but it gets some annoying results.
Because i want the result be like this in the output

Example: These statements has been declared by [authorlastname,(year)]

Please give a code sample how to make this work!

Thanks in advance!

//Janneman

* Re: Howto make citations work in aps bibtex
@ 2009-01-21 12:04 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-01-21 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan-Erik Hägglöf wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> Have an issue getting \cite command working properly. Working on a
> undergraduate thesis in physics and the bibliography.
>
> I have read in bibmod-doc.pdf(Tacos manual) and also on the wiki about
> how to make this work properly. So I did set this in the preamble of my
> document. It sees the referenser.bib and a proper *.bbl file is
> produced.
>
> \usemodule  [bib]
> \usemodule[bibltx]
> \setupbibtex[database=referenser]
> \setuppublications    [alternative=aps,criterium=all]
>
> \starttext
> \cite[ref] does only display [1] as a result.
> \stoptext
>
> I tried \cite[authoryear][ref] but it gets some annoying results.
> Because i want the result be like this in the output
>
> Example: These statements has been declared by [authorlastname,(year)]
>
> Please give a code sample how to make this work!

Why are you using the "aps" style if you don't want aps-style output?
That does not make sense. It seems that "apa" is much closer to what
you want?

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Howto make citations work in aps bibtex
@ 2009-01-21 12:44   ` Jan-Erik Hägglöf
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf @ 2009-01-21 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt-maillist

ons 2009-01-21 klockan 13:04 +0100 skrev Taco Hoekwater:
> Jan-Erik Hägglöf wrote:
> > Hi All!
> >
> > Have an issue getting \cite command working properly. Working on a
> > undergraduate thesis in physics and the bibliography.
> >
> > I have read in bibmod-doc.pdf(Tacos manual) and also on the wiki about
> > how to make this work properly. So I did set this in the preamble of my
> > document. It sees the referenser.bib and a proper *.bbl file is
> > produced.
> >
> > \usemodule  [bib]
> > \usemodule[bibltx]
> > \setupbibtex[database=referenser]
> > \setuppublications    [alternative=aps,criterium=all]
> >
> > \starttext
> > \cite[ref] does only display [1] as a result.
> > \stoptext
> >
> > I tried \cite[authoryear][ref] but it gets some annoying results.
> > Because i want the result be like this in the output
> >
> > Example: These statements has been declared by [authorlastname,(year)]
> >
> > Please give a code sample how to make this work!
>
> Why are you using the "aps" style if you don't want aps-style output?
> That does not make sense. It seems that "apa" is much closer to what
> you want?
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

In apa-style there is "author (year)" appearance, and I just want
"[authorlastname,(year)]" result with those hooks.

 Well if it is easier to modify it in apa so it is better. Just that
aps=american physical society and I thought it has several
sub-standards. Just referring to what styles are used in several books
about physics. But maybe I have to investigate it further.

@ 2009-01-21 13:55     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-01-21 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan-Erik Hägglöf wrote:

>>> Example: These statements has been declared by [authorlastname,(year)]
>>>
>>> Please give a code sample how to make this work!
>> Why are you using the "aps" style if you don't want aps-style output?
>> That does not make sense. It seems that "apa" is much closer to what
>> you want?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Taco
>
> In apa-style there is "author (year)" appearance, and I just want
> "[authorlastname,(year)]" result with those hooks.

The bib module has no support for just "authorlastname" (as opposed to
"author"), if you want that then you have to edit the bbl file.

For the rest of the citation formatting: it is easiest to
define your own macro:

  \def\mycite[#1]{[{\cite[author][#1]},({\cite[year][#1]})]}

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Howto make citations work in aps bibtex
@ 2009-01-21 15:03       ` Jan-Erik Hägglöf
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf @ 2009-01-21 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

HI!

So I did as you proposed

\def\mycite[#1]{[{\cite[author][#1]},({\cite[year][#1]})]}
 in my preamble environment file

also I did

\setupbibtex[database=referenser]
\setuppublications    [alternative=apa,criterium=all]
% inherits from adityas thesis example Do not why it is there
\let\initializepubslist\relax
  \def\mycite[#1]{[{\cite[author][#1]},({\cite[year][#1]})]}

and did \mycite[ref]

Here is the output:

! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   \@@pvauthorcolor
\doactivatecolor ...\ifcsname (cs:\currentpalet #1
                                                  )\endcsname \csname
(cs:\c...
\doattributes ...rtcolor [\csname #1#3\endcsname ]
                                                  \else \let
\dostopattribut...
\dogotospace ...edwords {#1}\processisolatedword }
                                                  \else #1\relax
\fi }\else ...
\doifreferencefoundelse ...ce \ifreferencefound #2
                                                  \else #3\fi \egroup
\dores...
\dogoto ...#2]}} {\unknownreference {#2}#1\relax }
                                                  \egroup \referenceinfo
{<}...
l.25 ...tmekaniska effekter\mycite[Gombosi1998pot]
                                                   kap 3, sid 53. Detta
är ...
?
end output

Something went wrong with the macro?

@ 2009-01-21 15:19         ` Jan-Erik Hägglöf
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf @ 2009-01-21 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seems that

\cite[year][ref] and \cite[author] doesn't work.

only default \cite[authoryears][ref] and \cite[authoryear][ref] and just
\cite[ref] seems to work.

so nothing wrong with the macro.

Is there some settings that I have to fix?

My Context minimal intallation is:

This is luaTeX, Version snapshot-0.31.3
(uppsats.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2009.01.14 11:29 MKIV  fmt: 2009.1.16  int:
english/english

//Janneman

@ 2009-01-21 15:28           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-01-21 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan-Erik Hägglöf wrote:
> Seems that
>
> \cite[year][ref] and \cite[author] doesn't work.
>
> only default \cite[authoryears][ref] and \cite[authoryear][ref] and just
> \cite[ref] seems to work.
>
> so nothing wrong with the macro.
>
> Is there some settings that I have to fix?

I need a full example. Can you wrap up a small input tex file and the
bib file (and possibly environment you are using) into a package and
email that to me?

Best wishes,
Taco