* Preprocessing ConTeXt file to convert from UTF-8 to ASCII & ABNT
@ 2009-01-25 18:05 João Macaíba
From: João Macaíba @ 2009-01-25 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-ConTeXt

Hi.

I've used LaTeX for a while and found articles about ConTeXt yesterday
and decided give it a try since its different approach.

Reading the docs I've found it only works with ASCII.

So I've tried to do the convertion UTF-8 => ASCII using iconv, without
success: it failed to convert the first 'accented character' it
encounters.

I'm searching to solve this problem, but would like to know if there's
any doc on 'non-ascii' editing of ConTeXt files.

If there are other people writing in portuguese, like me, and
specially brazilians, is there a way to implement ABNT standard ?

Any docs on theses subjects: 'non-ascii' input, 'portuguese/brazilian'
and 'ABNT', would be appreciated :)

I use 'vim' and 'textmate' as my primary editors for *TeX*, and my
platform is MacOSX (Leopard).

Thanks in advance.
Regards.
--
João Macaíba <joao.macaiba@gmail.com>

* Re: Preprocessing ConTeXt file to convert from UTF-8 to ASCII & ABNT
@ 2009-01-25 18:41 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-25 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.01.2009 um 19:05 schrieb João Macaíba:

> I've used LaTeX for a while and found articles about ConTeXt
> yesterday and decided give it a try since its different approach.
>
> Reading the docs I've found it only works with ASCII.

The authors of the manual meant ConTeXt use plain text files
as input, the encoding of the files is not limited to ASCII
chars, you could use UTF-8 without problems.

> If there are other people writing in portuguese, like me, and
> specially brazilians, is there a way to implement ABNT standard ?

What is ABNT?

> I use 'vim' and 'textmate' as my primary editors for *TeX*, and my
> platform is MacOSX (Leopard).

For file encoding take a look at this page:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Encodings_and_Regimes

To tell ConTeXt your document is encoded in UTF-8, write

\enableregime[utf]
% more settings
\starttext
your text
\stoptext

in your document.

The ConTeXt wiki has also page for VIM and TextMate:

- http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Vim
- http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TextMate

Wolfgang

* Re: Preprocessing ConTeXt file to convert from UTF-8 to ASCII & ABNT
@ 2009-01-25 21:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-01-25 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

João Macaíba wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've used LaTeX for a while and found articles about ConTeXt yesterday
> and decided give it a try since its different approach.
>
> Reading the docs I've found it only works with ASCII.

huh?

there are many input encodings supported, utf being one of them

\enableregime[utf]

should work for mkii and mkiv is utf aware by default

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-01-25 21:25   ` João Macaíba
From: João Macaíba @ 2009-01-25 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Wolfgang.

On Jan 25, 2009, at 04:08, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 25.01.2009 um 19:05 schrieb João Macaíba:
>
>> I've used LaTeX for a while and found articles about ConTeXt
>> yesterday and decided give it a try since its different approach.
>>
>> Reading the docs I've found it only works with ASCII.
>
> The authors of the manual meant ConTeXt use plain text files
> as input, the encoding of the files is not limited to ASCII
> chars, you could use UTF-8 without problems.

You're right. I misunderstood that.

>> If there are other people writing in portuguese, like me, and
>> specially brazilians, is there a way to implement ABNT standard ?
>
> What is ABNT?

ABNT == Associação Brasileira de Normas Técnicas == Brazilian
Association for Technical Standards

ABNT has a standard layout for technical writings.

>> I use 'vim' and 'textmate' as my primary editors for *TeX*, and my
>> platform is MacOSX (Leopard).
>
> For file encoding take a look at this page:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Encodings_and_Regimes
>

> To tell ConTeXt your document is encoded in UTF-8, write
>
> \enableregime[utf]
> % more settings
> \starttext
> your text
> \stoptext
>
> in your document.
>

> The ConTeXt wiki has also page for VIM and TextMate:
>
> - http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Vim
> - http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TextMate

Great !  :)

> Wolfgang

Thanks for the help and time, Wolfgang !

Regards.
--

@ 2009-01-25 22:37     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-25 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.01.2009 um 22:25 schrieb João Macaíba:

>>> If there are other people writing in portuguese, like me, and
>>> specially brazilians, is there a way to implement ABNT standard ?
>>
>> What is ABNT?
>
> ABNT == Associação Brasileira de Normas Técnicas == Brazilian
> Association for Technical Standards
>
> ABNT has a standard layout for technical writings.

Can you show us a example?

There was also a thread about a style for IEEE no so long ago,
it could help you.

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20081228.013623.979b778a.en.html

Wolfgang