* Composed Words
@ 2009-01-28 11:36 Matthias Wächter
From: Matthias Wächter @ 2009-01-28 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

First question: I thought that composing words using || should break
after the hyphen/dash, but for whatever reasons, this does not
always work correctly and breaks such that the hyphen/dash is in the
next line — see attached picture. Processed by luatex,
updated today.

The source code is not fancy in any way:

\language[de]%
%[…]

Die Ausgabe einer komplexen Netzwerkkomponente wie einem
TTEthernet||Switch kann am leichtesten von einer einfachen
Vergleichsschaltung überprüft werden, wenn die paarweise
angeordneten Komponenten Bit für Bit synchron arbeiten
%[…]

Second question: Why did you choose the «En dash» as the default
intra word dash for at least English and German, whereby this is
wrong in most cases and should be the hyphen instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#En_dash lists the uses of the En
dash. It is limited to number ranges, relationships and connections
and compound adjectives.

for me, \setuphyphenmark[sign=normal] fixed the issue, but the
“correct” way (hyphen) should be the default, IMHO.

– Matthias

[-- Attachment #2: thesis-break.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 68418 bytes --]

* Re: Composed Words
@ 2009-01-29 12:38 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-01-29 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Wächter wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> First question: I thought that composing words using || should break
> after the hyphen/dash, but for whatever reasons, this does not
> always work correctly and breaks such that the hyphen/dash is in the
> next line — see attached picture. Processed by luatex,
> updated today.

It works for me (here at home), but I had to adjust the \hsize because
with a simple \starttext \stoptext it does not hyphenate at all inside
the compound word (lines are long enough). It follows that my test
cannot be trusted, so you really should post a minimal complete input
file.

Best wishes,
Taco