From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Possible memory leak?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 09:47:52 +0100	[thread overview]

Yue Wang wrote:

>> also, mem consumption reported is a bit of a lie because lua seems to
>> allocates double of what it needed with each increment but not always use it
>>
>> otf fonts are already quite packed in mkiv (i'm considering adding an option
>> to mtx-font to precache fonts but i'm not sure if it's worth the trouble
>>
>> is mem consumption less a second run?
>
> Yes, dramatically less. with 4 chinese fonts loaded (I use zhfonts.tex
> for testing), MKIV consumes 300-400MB.

on my machine running mk with a fresh cache gives the same lua mem usage
as with filled cache, however a fresh run tops at 1 meg while a filled
run tops ar 500 (windows vista); that document uses several cjk fonts
(relatively large due to many glyphs) and script fonts (some arabic and
zapfino as well as cambria math which are much larger fonts due to many
features

mkiv lua stats : loaded fonts              - adobesongstd-light:otf
arabtype:ttf c:/windows/fonts/cambria:ttc htfs:ttf htsong:ttf ko
eieletters:afm lmex10:tfm lmmi10:tfm lmmib10:tfm lmmono10-regular:otf
lmmonoltcond10-regular:otf lmroman10-italic:otf lmroman10-regu
lar:otf lmroman12-regular:otf lmsans10-regular:otf lmsy10:tfm
lmtypewriter10-regular:otf msam10:tfm msbm10:tfm palatinoltarabic-regu
lar:ttf rm-lmbx10:tfm rm-lmr10:tfm rm-lmr12:tfm rm-lmr8:tfm
rm-lmtt10:tfm scheherazaderegot:ttf texnansi-lt55484:afm texnansi-lt5548
5:afm texnansi-lt55488:afm texnansi-lt55507:afm zapfinoextraltpro:otf

mkiv lua stats : current memory usage      - 361 MB (ctx: 370 MB)

(keep in mind that at some point luatex has to load the glyph shapes and
pass them to the pdf file so there will always be otf/pfb loading at the
end of a run)

as taco mentioned, real memory usage for a fresh run is probably
somewhat lower due to fragmentation

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE