* unwanted rgb-->gray conversion (mkiv)
@ 2009-01-27 17:32 Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-01-27 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

The attached example works fine with mkii (text and gfx both use RGB
colors). Using mkiv reduces the colorspace of the graphic to GRAY.
Sadly PDFX/-4 doesn't allow to mix color profiles of colorspace RGB with
GRAY ones. So I'm forced to always use the RGB colorspace...

Best wishes, Peter

[-- Attachment #2: reduction.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 291 bytes --]

\setupcolors[state=start]

\definecolor[rgbgray] [r=.5,g=.5,b=.5]

\startuniqueMPgraphic{foo}{size}
    fill unitsquare xyscaled(\MPvar{size},\MPvar{size}) withcolor \MPcolor{rgbgray};
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\starttext

\uniqueMPgraphic{foo}{size=5cm}
\color[rgbgray] Gray text.

\stoptext

* Re: unwanted rgb-->gray conversion (mkiv)
@ 2009-02-02 13:38 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-02-02 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf schrieb:
> Hi Hans,
>
> The attached example works fine with mkii (text and gfx both use RGB
> colors). Using mkiv reduces the colorspace of the graphic to GRAY.
> Sadly PDFX/-4 doesn't allow to mix color profiles of colorspace RGB
> with GRAY ones. So I'm forced to always use the RGB colorspace...
>
> Best wishes, Peter
mh, the problem is a little more complex. Mkii reduces rgb(0,0,0) text
into gray(0), in mkiv color is as expected.
Updated the example...

[-- Attachment #2: reduction.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 933 bytes --]

\setupcolors[state=start]

% all colors are in RGB color space (and should stay there)
\definecolor[rgbgray] [r=.5,g=.5,b=.5]
\definecolor[rgbblack] [r=0,g=0,b=0]
\definecolor[rgbwhite] [r=1,g=1,b=1]

\startuniqueMPgraphic{foo}{size,color}
    fill unitsquare xyscaled(\MPvar{size},\MPvar{size}) withcolor \MPvar{color};
    draw boundingbox currentpicture withcolor \MPcolor{rgbblack};
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\starttext

\uniqueMPgraphic{foo}{size=2.5cm,color=rgbgray} % unwanted gray conversion (mkiv)
\uniqueMPgraphic{foo}{size=2.5cm,color=rgbblack} % unwanted gray conversion (mkiv)
\uniqueMPgraphic{foo}{size=2.5cm,color=rgbwhite} % unwanted gray conversion (mkiv)
\color[rgbgray] Gray text. % ok
\blank
\color[rgbblack] Black text. % unwanted gray conversion (mkii)
\blank
\framed[background=color,backgroundcolor=rgbblack,foregroundcolor=rgbwhite]
{White text} % unwanted gray conversion of background color (mkii)

@ 2009-02-02 21:30   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-02-02 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 02.02.2009 um 14:38 schrieb Peter Rolf:

> mh, the problem is a little more complex. Mkii reduces rgb(0,0,0)
> text into gray(0), in mkiv color is as expected.
> Updated the example...
> \setupcolors[state=start]

AFAIR \setupcolors[state=start,conversion=no]

Wolfgang

* Re: unwanted rgb-->gray conversion (mkiv)
@ 2009-02-03 10:46     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-02-03 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:

> Am 02.02.2009 um 14:38 schrieb Peter Rolf:
>
>> mh, the problem is a little more complex. Mkii reduces rgb(0,0,0)
>> text into gray(0), in mkiv color is as expected.
>> Updated the example...
>> \setupcolors[state=start]
>
> AFAIR \setupcolors[state=start,conversion=no]

I get exactly the same unwanted conversions in both marks  (even if I
use 'conversion=yes').

@ 2009-02-03 11:26       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-02-03 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.02.2009 um 11:46 schrieb Peter Rolf:

> Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:
>>
>> Am 02.02.2009 um 14:38 schrieb Peter Rolf:
>>
>>> mh, the problem is a little more complex. Mkii reduces rgb(0,0,0)
>>> text into gray(0), in mkiv color is as expected.
>>> Updated the example...
>>> \setupcolors[state=start]
>>
>> AFAIR \setupcolors[state=start,conversion=no]
>
> I get exactly the same unwanted conversions in both marks  (even if
> I use 'conversion=yes').

The rgb(0,0,0) to gray(0) is hard coded in the \definecolor
command, can you try if this did also happen with nonzero values
for rgb (+conversion=no).

Wolfgang

* Re: unwanted rgb-->gray conversion (mkiv)
@ 2009-02-03 12:12         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-02-03 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:

> Am 03.02.2009 um 11:46 schrieb Peter Rolf:
>
>> Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:

>>> AFAIR \setupcolors[state=start,conversion=no]
>>
>> I get exactly the same unwanted conversions in both marks  (even if I
>> use 'conversion=yes').
>
> The rgb(0,0,0) to gray(0) is hard coded in the \definecolor
> command, can you try if this did also happen with nonzero values
> for rgb (+conversion=no).

Thanks Wolfgang. The gray scales white and a 50% gray are already part
of my example (and they work fine).
Just add '\pdfcompresslevel0' at the top of my example and you can 'see'
(viewing the pdf in a text editor) the used color space.

0 g 0 G      gray black
0 0 0 rg 0 0 0 RG    rgb black

@ 2009-02-03 12:30           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-02-03 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.02.2009 um 13:12 schrieb Peter Rolf:

> Thanks Wolfgang. The gray scales white and a 50% gray are already
> part of my example (and they work fine).
> Just add '\pdfcompresslevel0' at the top of my example and you can
> 'see' (viewing the pdf in a text editor) the used color space.
>
> 0 g 0 G      gray black
> 0 0 0 rg 0 0 0 RG    rgb black

Add \let\colorZpattern\colorRpattern to your file.

Wolfgang

* Re: unwanted rgb-->gray conversion (mkiv)
@ 2009-02-03 14:05             ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-02-03 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:

> Am 03.02.2009 um 13:12 schrieb Peter Rolf:
>
>> Thanks Wolfgang. The gray scales white and a 50% gray are already
>> part of my example (and they work fine).
>> Just add '\pdfcompresslevel0' at the top of my example and you can
>> 'see' (viewing the pdf in a text editor) the used color space.
>>
>> 0 g 0 G      gray black
>> 0 0 0 rg 0 0 0 RG    rgb black
>
> Add \let\colorZpattern\colorRpattern to your file.

Yep, this (kind of) fixes the unwanted conversion in mkii. The
conversion of the mp colors in mkiv remains.
Anyhow, this is nothing urgent, but things should be fixed (a conversion
should be optional).
Thanks again for your effort.

Best wishes,  Peter

@ 2009-02-03 15:22 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-02-03 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf schrieb:
> Hi Hans,
>
> The attached example works fine with mkii (text and gfx both use RGB
> colors). Using mkiv reduces the colorspace of the graphic to GRAY.
> Sadly PDFX/-4 doesn't allow to mix color profiles of colorspace RGB
> with GRAY ones. So I'm forced to always use the RGB colorspace...

Final note: I must admit, that my conclusion is BS  (also the reason why
the problem is not urgent any more).

You can't combine RGB and GRAY color profiles as output intents (IO) in
PDF/X-4. But the usage of different colorspaces in the document (like
RGB+GRAY) and the IO (like CMYK) is valid. So no need for any color
conversion. My error in reasoning...