From: Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: Russian/Cyrillic - no woes, happy now!
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:34:21 +0200	[thread overview]

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Mari Voipio wrote:
>> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>> 3. Select "UTF-8" in menu File/Encoding
>> This solved problem number 1: how to do UTF in SciTe.
>
> The problem is that you need to do that every time. There is some file
> with user settings that you can access through menu. Do not ask me
> where it is since I cannot try it now, but it's very handy since you
> only do it once and then UTF-8 will always work out-of-the-box.

Agreed. However, once I knew I should be looking for this, I found one
solution to this problem at
http://www.nabble.com/default-encoding-to-utf-8-cookie-td5946114.html

The thing to do is to open the SciTe global properties (Options | Open
Global Properties) and to find the spot that says

# Internationalisation
# Japanese input code page 932 and ShiftJIS character set 128
#code.page=932
#character.set=128
# Unicode
#code.page=65001
code.page=0
#character.set=204
# Required for Unicode to work on GTK+:
#LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
#output.code.page=65001

Then uncomment the line code.page=65001 and comment the line code.page=0
(for us Windows dummies: move the hash mark # down by one line).
After this change everything opened in Scite in Windows is handled as
UTF-8 (GTK+ users will take note of the second comment). Remember to
save the properties file before closing it.

Caveat: This is advisable if you use Scite only with UTF-8 encoded
files. If you use SciTe for files with other encoding, it is not a good
idea. Why, you ask?
Because in the Encoding menu under File there's no way of switching a
tab back to for example Windows Iso-Latin1 or whatever else your files are.

I know SciTe menus are adjustable so if somebody knows of a way to
adding 'switch tab to code.page 0' or 'windows default encoding' or
something similar to the Encoding menu, that'd be very much appreciated.
Until then, I probably have to give up using SciTe as my html editor or
some other people will be veerryyy annoyed...

Mari
(...who's next job is to convert a pile of files into UTF-8...)