From: "J.A.J. Pater" <jajpater@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: PDF/X-1A
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:49:57 +0100	[thread overview]

Tobias Burnus schreef:
 > You could also try to use Ghostscript with PDF/X3 option, cf.
 > http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/cvs/Ps2pdf.htm#PDFX
 >
 > Example command is:
 >
 > gs -dPDFX -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dNOOUTERSAVE -dUseCIEColor
 > -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=out-x3.pdf PDFX_def.ps input.ps
 >
 > If I understood it correctly, one can also replace "input.ps" by
 > "input.pdf".
 >
 > (Note: Completely untested.)

Maybe you could use this shareware programm: http://www.pstill.com/

Info from this site:

\startquotation
"Convert to PDF, PDF/X and PDF/A
Easy and high-quality EPS, PS, PDF and several raster image formats to
PDF conversion _on Windows and MacOS X_, able to concat multiple files
of all types in the output, also as mixed set. You can just drop in some
PS, PDF and e.g. JPEG files and PStill will create one PDF from the
input set. PStill can output also to PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-3, a focused
subset of PDF for 'pre-press' work. PStill knows about CMYK and spot
colors and can handle overprinting. Starting with version 1.72.18 PStill
also creates PDF/A-1b, a special version of PDF for archiving purposes."
\stopquotation

\startquotation
"The Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, IRIX, AIX and HPUX versions are free only
for personal/private and educational use. Commercial users (means: any
for-profit use) must register and order a commercial type license key.
The software will run without any functional restrictions but will
display a notice on the console."
\stopquotation

 From the above the impression could be raised that conversion to
PDF/X-1a only works on Windows and MacOS X,
but according to this post it seems to work on linux as well (?):
http://www.stone.com/stoneforum/viewtopic.php?t=171

Note: Completely untested by me.

Please inform us if it worked.

You could also try one of these more commercial services:
http://www.pdfxreport.com/doku.php?id=en:tools

Thanks,

Adriaan.