* Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-03-04  5:24 Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-03-04  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I use XeTeX, font searching through texmf- tree is very slow.
search font through fontconfig is very fast.
plain TeX or LaTeX does not have that problem.
why is that? anyway to improve it?

Yue Wang

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-03-04  8:04 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-04  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I use XeTeX, font searching through texmf- tree is very slow.
> search font through fontconfig is very fast.
> plain TeX or LaTeX does not have that problem.
> why is that? anyway to improve it?

afaik xetex perfers to look in the database first and then on the file
system

context on the other hand prefers to look for a file first

if you don't know what "whatever" stands for, prefixing with file: or
name: might help, as in file:whatever

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-03-09  2:14   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-03-09  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

is that normal?

%engine=xetex
\usetypescript[palatino]
\setupbodyfont[palatino]
\starttext
$$\int_0^t$$
\stoptext

uses

(see the transcript file for additional information)
Output written on test.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on test.log.
TeXUtil | parsing file test.tui
TeXUtil | shortcuts : 169
TeXUtil | expansions: 308
TeXUtil | reductions: 0
TeXUtil | divisions : 0
TeXUtil | loaded files: 1
TeXUtil | temporary files: 0
TeXUtil | commands: 23
TeXUtil | programs: 0
TeXUtil | tuo file saved
TeXExec | runtime: 39.078
>Exit code: 0

(1 run)

@ 2009-03-09  8:28     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-09  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> is that normal?
>
> %engine=xetex
> \usetypescript[palatino]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino]
> \starttext
> $$\int_0^t$$
> \stoptext
>
> uses
>
> (see the transcript file for additional information)
> Output written on test.pdf (1 page).

i get

(c:/data/develop/context/sources/sort-def.tex)
(c:/data/develop/context/sources/sort-lan.tex) [1.1]stdin -> test.pdf
[1]
4770 bytes written

systems         : end file test at line 8
  )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Output written on test.pdf (1 page).

it's indeed not so fast, maybe because one of the used files cannot be
found fast

eventually we might end up with extending the xtx typescript

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-04-24 11:33       ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-24 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans

Now I know why XeTeX uses 1-2 minutes to compile a simple document:
Each time first-setup.bat runs, it erase the user fontforge cache.
So if I compile a document right after updating ConTeXt minimals,
XeTeX will automatically run fc-cache to generate the font cache.

Today I test a little bit, the time used for fc-cache -r is
approximately the xetex's first running time.

Next compilation uses about 7-8 seconds, which is reasonable (it first
searches the fc cache, then the texmf tree)
btw, can we change the type-otf.tex to force mkii to search fonts like
iwona and tex gyre in the texmf tree first?
Then the compilation will run much faster than before.

Yue Wang

@ 2009-04-24 20:27         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-24 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:33, Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Hans
>
> Now I know why XeTeX uses 1-2 minutes to compile a simple document:
> Each time first-setup.bat runs, it erase the user fontforge cache.
> So if I compile a document right after updating ConTeXt minimals,
> XeTeX will automatically run fc-cache to generate the font cache.
>
> Today I test a little bit, the time used for fc-cache -r is
> approximately the xetex's first running time.

True, XeTeX runs fc-cache every now and then, but I didn't manage to
figure out when that happens. I would suggest to ask about that on the
XeTeX mailing list. ConTeXt has zero influence on that behaviour,
except that it could avoid searching via fc.

> Next compilation uses about 7-8 seconds, which is reasonable (it first
> searches the fc cache, then the texmf tree)
> btw, can we change the type-otf.tex to force mkii to search fonts like
> iwona and tex gyre in the texmf tree first?

Iwona? There are lines like
    \definefontsynonym [Iwona-Regular] [file:Iwona-Regular] [features=default]
which means that it first searches on texmf tree, but I suspect that
math fonts are being searched via fontconfig first. The way font
searching is implemented now ([rm-iwonar] will look for
\font\something="rm-iwonar" instead of \font\something=rm-iwona =>
this means searching via fontconfig first; the font is not found
there, so it searches in texmf tree further) it is not possible to
convince ConTeXt to search in texmf tree first unless Hans changes
core macros (the part that has been broken for almost a year).

Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-24 20:29         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-24 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:33, Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Hans
>
> Each time first-setup.bat runs, it erase the user fontforge cache.

Where is that cache located? (Are you talking about windows?) Maybe we
could prevent deleting the font cache. This might solve your problem.

Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-24 20:57           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-24 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:33, Yue Wang wrote:
>> Hi, Hans
>>
>> Now I know why XeTeX uses 1-2 minutes to compile a simple document:
>> Each time first-setup.bat runs, it erase the user fontforge cache.
>> So if I compile a document right after updating ConTeXt minimals,
>> XeTeX will automatically run fc-cache to generate the font cache.
>>
>> Today I test a little bit, the time used for fc-cache -r is
>> approximately the xetex's first running time.
>
> True, XeTeX runs fc-cache every now and then, but I didn't manage to
> figure out when that happens. I would suggest to ask about that on the
> XeTeX mailing list. ConTeXt has zero influence on that behaviour,
> except that it could avoid searching via fc.
>
>> Next compilation uses about 7-8 seconds, which is reasonable (it first
>> searches the fc cache, then the texmf tree)
>> btw, can we change the type-otf.tex to force mkii to search fonts like
>> iwona and tex gyre in the texmf tree first?
>
> Iwona? There are lines like
>     \definefontsynonym [Iwona-Regular] [file:Iwona-Regular] [features=default]
> which means that it first searches on texmf tree, but I suspect that
> math fonts are being searched via fontconfig first. The way font
> searching is implemented now ([rm-iwonar] will look for
> \font\something="rm-iwonar" instead of \font\something=rm-iwona =>
> this means searching via fontconfig first; the font is not found
> there, so it searches in texmf tree further) it is not possible to
> convince ConTeXt to search in texmf tree first unless Hans changes
> core macros (the part that has been broken for almost a year).

broken? well. the " is there because fonts can have spaces and i'm bot
going to parse for that

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-04-24 21:17             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-24 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 22:57, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> Iwona? There are lines like
>>    \definefontsynonym [Iwona-Regular] [file:Iwona-Regular]
>> [features=default]
>> which means that it first searches on texmf tree, but I suspect that
>> math fonts are being searched via fontconfig first. The way font
>> searching is implemented now ([rm-iwonar] will look for
>> \font\something="rm-iwonar" instead of \font\something=rm-iwona =>
>> this means searching via fontconfig first; the font is not found
>> there, so it searches in texmf tree further) it is not possible to
>> convince ConTeXt to search in texmf tree first unless Hans changes
>> core macros (the part that has been broken for almost a year).
>
> broken?

Sorry, wrong tense. I meant "had been broken" (several years ago,
risky to touch again :).

Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25  1:08           ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-25  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 4:29 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:33, Yue Wang wrote:
>> Hi, Hans
>>
>> Each time first-setup.bat runs, it erase the user fontforge cache.
>
> Where is that cache located? (Are you talking about windows?) Maybe we
> could prevent deleting the font cache. This might solve your problem.

I think it is in the C:\context\tex\texmf-mswin\fonts\cache\

> Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: untitled.JPG --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 31049 bytes --]

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25  1:44           ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-25  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Mojca:

you are absolutely right!

When load iwona with the following two typeface, the loading time
takes up 7-8 seconds.
TeXExec | runtime: 8.296

\definetypeface [iwona] [ss] [sans] [iwona] [default] [encoding=ec]
\definetypeface [iwona] [mm] [math] [iwona] [default] [encoding=ec]
\setupbodyfont[iwona,ss,12pt]
\starttext
\input zapf

$$\int_a^b f(x) d x = 0$$
\stoptext

However, when comment the second line (\definetypeface [iwona] [mm]
[math] [iwona] [default] [encoding=ec]),
TeXExec | runtime: 1.828
total compile time is reduced to only 2 seconds. (of course, equations
are typeset in latin modern).

How can I speed up math font loading? change add file: suffix (like
[file:rm-iwonar])  won't help :(

Yue Wang

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:33, Yue Wang wrote:
>> Hi, Hans
>>
>> Now I know why XeTeX uses 1-2 minutes to compile a simple document:
>> Each time first-setup.bat runs, it erase the user fontforge cache.
>> So if I compile a document right after updating ConTeXt minimals,
>> XeTeX will automatically run fc-cache to generate the font cache.
>>
>> Today I test a little bit, the time used for fc-cache -r is
>> approximately the xetex's first running time.
>
> True, XeTeX runs fc-cache every now and then, but I didn't manage to
> figure out when that happens. I would suggest to ask about that on the
> XeTeX mailing list. ConTeXt has zero influence on that behaviour,
> except that it could avoid searching via fc.
>
>> Next compilation uses about 7-8 seconds, which is reasonable (it first
>> searches the fc cache, then the texmf tree)
>> btw, can we change the type-otf.tex to force mkii to search fonts like
>> iwona and tex gyre in the texmf tree first?
>
> Iwona? There are lines like
>    \definefontsynonym [Iwona-Regular] [file:Iwona-Regular] [features=default]
> which means that it first searches on texmf tree, but I suspect that
> math fonts are being searched via fontconfig first. The way font
> searching is implemented now ([rm-iwonar] will look for
> \font\something="rm-iwonar" instead of \font\something=rm-iwona =>
> this means searching via fontconfig first; the font is not found
> there, so it searches in texmf tree further) it is not possible to
> convince ConTeXt to search in texmf tree first unless Hans changes
> core macros (the part that has been broken for almost a year).
>
> Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25  9:39             ` Mojca Miklavec
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-25  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 03:44, Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Mojca:
>
> However, when comment the second line (\definetypeface [iwona] [mm]
> [math] [iwona] [default] [encoding=ec]),
> TeXExec | runtime: 1.828
> total compile time is reduced to only 2 seconds. (of course, equations
> are typeset in latin modern).

But LM should suffer from the same problem.

> How can I speed up math font loading? change add file: suffix (like
> [file:rm-iwonar])  won't help :(

Core macros need to be changed somehow if you want to achieve that.
Hans doesn't use XeTeX, so you need strong arguments to convince him
to modify XeTeX-related code.

Hans wanted to implement
    \definefontsynonym [a] [b]
to automatically work whether b is a font name, font filename or the
old good tfm font.

Even though the idea sounds OK and works well in LuaTeX, there's a big
problem with it, namely, it becomes so annoyingly slow that it's
basically useless (just for fun, you can try to remove file: in front
of LM fonts and observe the consequences). Usually filename and font
name don't match anyway, so you definitely need to specify which one
you want to use.

But there's one further problem. You can now specify file: or name:
prefix. In the first case this translates to
    \font\a=[b]
and in the second case it translates to
    \font\a="b"

For tfm fonts you however need
    \font\a=b
The second form with "b" works as well, but in that case XeTeX does
internal search by first asking fc and only if that fails it asks
kpathsea. If you don't provide either file: or name: then ConTeXt
needs to check all the three different options in the following order:
    \font\a="b"
    \font\a=b
    \font\a=[b]
I forgot whether the first one is already accepted (maybe it is), but
it any case it takes a lot of time before the right font is found.
Ideally ConTeXt should at least switch the order of searching for
fonts and should try kpatsea before fc, but then one runs into
problems with font names with spaces if one doesn't explicitely
provide the name: prefix.

The current clever scheme causes more problems & longer load times
than it brings advantages, but unless Hans changes core macros,
there's not much that you can do about it to speed up the loading
time.

Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25 11:18               ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-25 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 03:44, Yue Wang wrote:
>> Hi, Mojca:
>>
>> However, when comment the second line (\definetypeface [iwona] [mm]
>> [math] [iwona] [default] [encoding=ec]),
>> TeXExec | runtime: 1.828
>> total compile time is reduced to only 2 seconds. (of course, equations
>> are typeset in latin modern).
>
> But LM should suffer from the same problem.

I think LM tfm/otf metrics information are dumped to fmt statically.
See the TeX82 source code (don't know xetex's situation, but i am sure
tex82 works like that).

@ 2009-04-25 11:45             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-25 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 03:08, Yue Wang wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 4:29 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Where is that cache located? (Are you talking about windows?) Maybe we
>> could prevent deleting the font cache. This might solve your problem.
>>

> I think it is in the C:\context\tex\texmf-mswin\fonts\cache\

Oh, right! It seemed weird to me when you were talking about font
cache being deleted since I thouht you were using FreeBSD.

What you can do temporary is to add --keep option to first-setup.bat,
but I would like to fix the issue anyway.

Hans, can you please apply the following fix:

local normalflags = states.get("rsync.flags.normal")
local deleteflags = ""
if (destination:find("texmf$") or destination:find("context$")) and
(not environment.argument("keep")) then
    deleteflags = states.get("rsync.flags.delete")
end
command = format("%s %s %s %s'%s' '%s'", bin, normalflags,
deleteflags, url, archives, destination)
logs.report("mtx update", format("running command: %s",command))

Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25 11:49                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-25 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 13:18, Yue Wang wrote:

>> But LM should suffer from the same problem.
>>

> I think LM tfm/otf metrics information are dumped to fmt statically.
> See the TeX82 source code (don't know xetex's situation, but i am sure
> tex82 works like that).

That's possible. But if you remove file: prefix in LM font definitions
then it will take forever to compile a hello-world file. (I cannot
explain that, but it doesn't really matter.)

Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25 12:14               ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-04-25 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> The current clever scheme causes more problems & longer load times
> than it brings advantages, but unless Hans changes core macros,
> there's not much that you can do about it to speed up the loading
> time.

I assume Context could add support for an explicit tfm: prefix,
that would likely solve most issues.

But one could also ask Jonathan to make XeTeX accept a less terse
and idiosyncratic font syntax. As it stands you can't feed an
arbitrary font name (which may contain spaces) into the non
quoted syntax (because then the quoted syntax is actually
required for tfm loading also), but by adding the quotes the
system fonts are suddenly searched first.

This makes it harder than needed to support both old and new
font formats at the same time.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25 12:43                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-25 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Mojca Miklavec
> <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 03:44, Yue Wang wrote:
>>> Hi, Mojca:
>>>
>>> However, when comment the second line (\definetypeface [iwona] [mm]
>>> [math] [iwona] [default] [encoding=ec]),
>>> TeXExec | runtime: 1.828
>>> total compile time is reduced to only 2 seconds. (of course, equations
>>> are typeset in latin modern).
>> But LM should suffer from the same problem.
>>

> I think LM tfm/otf metrics information are dumped to fmt statically.
> See the TeX82 source code (don't know xetex's situation, but i am sure
> tex82 works like that).

context never dumps fonts in the format

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-04-25 13:27               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-25 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Hans wanted to implement
>     \definefontsynonym [a] [b]
> to automatically work whether b is a font name, font filename or the
> old good tfm font.
>
> Even though the idea sounds OK and works well in LuaTeX, there's a big
> problem with it, namely, it becomes so annoyingly slow that it's
> basically useless (just for fun, you can try to remove file: in front

huh? resolving synonyms is pretty fast

\starttext

\definefontsynonym[mojca][is wrong]

\testfeatureonce{10000}{\xdef\test{\truefontname{mojca}}} mojca \test

\stoptext

and the overhead in the loop probably takes most time

> I forgot whether the first one is already accepted (maybe it is), but
> it any case it takes a lot of time before the right font is found.

i think that when xetex had no tested we were forced to use batchmode
which then resulted in many logs messages but that's long ago

> The current clever scheme causes more problems & longer load times
> than it brings advantages, but unless Hans changes core macros,
> there's not much that you can do about it to speed up the loading
> time.

well, the problem is that xetex uses this mixture of [whatever] and
"whatever" and "[whatever]" syntax which might be nice for latex but as
context uses [] for optional args it complicates things

an option is to make special typescript files for xetex (which is not a
bad idea because then we can optimize the otf typescripts for luatex usage)

so, it must be some other problem ...

\starttext
     \switchtobodyfont[10pt] \input tufte \endgraf
     \switchtobodyfont[11pt] \input tufte \endgraf
     \switchtobodyfont[12pt] \input tufte \endgraf
\stoptext

gives and a texexec run of 2.5 seconds and

\dorecurse{1000}{
     \switchtobodyfont[10pt] mojca
     \switchtobodyfont[11pt] is
     \switchtobodyfont[12pt] wrong
}

takes 10 seconds

ok it takes 3.5 seconds in mkiv but there we have a more optimal font
system due to less fonts needed; pdftex takes 9 seconds, so the
difference between mkii pdftex/xetex is 1 second which is mostly due to
the fact that xetex is unicode, uses larger fonts, does otf etc etc

now, the timing for

\usetypescript[iwona]     [ec]
\usetypescript[palatino]  [ec]
\usetypescript[postscript][ec]
\usetypescript[modern]    [ec]

\starttext

\switchtobodyfont[iwona,     10pt] mojca \switchtobodyfont[iwona,
11pt] is \switchtobodyfont[iwona,     12pt] wrong
\switchtobodyfont[palatino,  10pt] mojca \switchtobodyfont[palatino,
11pt] is \switchtobodyfont[palatino,  12pt] wrong
\switchtobodyfont[postscript,10pt] mojca
\switchtobodyfont[postscript,11pt] is \switchtobodyfont[postscript,12pt]
wrong
\switchtobodyfont[modern,    10pt] mojca \switchtobodyfont[modern,
11pt] is \switchtobodyfont[modern,    12pt] wrong

\stoptext

is as follows: pdftex: 2.4s, luatex 4.3s, xetex 11.7s

now, interesting is that if we only load one of them xetex needs 9.5
seconds, so there seems to be quite some initialization time involved

so, i looked into this caching stuff and found out that fc-cache -v
first deletes an invalid cache and on a next run tries to make a cache
and fails which then is the reason why *each* xetex run needs to build
it sown cache (which is quite visible with some filehandle tracing tool)

i noticed that there is also a failed message when caching
c:\windows\fonts so maybe fc-cache is messed up

anyhow, it's not a context issue at all, just caching

Hans

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-04-25 13:33                   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-25 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I see, no font is defined when dumping the formats... pretty unlike plain TeX...
then why so much time is used for iwona, while only 1.2 sec is used to
load lm roman?

@ 2009-04-25 13:41                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-25 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> I see, no font is defined when dumping the formats... pretty unlike plain TeX...
> then why so much time is used for iwona, while only 1.2 sec is used to
> load lm roman?

see previous mail ... because xetex rebuilds the fc cache each time; so
it's not related to context as all name lookups suffer from the same

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25 14:07                       ` Yue Wang
                                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-25 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Yue Wang wrote:
>>
>> I see, no font is defined when dumping the formats... pretty unlike plain
>> TeX...
>> then why so much time is used for iwona, while only 1.2 sec is used to
>> load lm roman?
>
> see previous mail ... because xetex rebuilds the fc cache each time; so it's
> not related to context as all name lookups suffer from the same

then if it tries to load lm, it will build fc cache too, why is the

in short, can you please explain to us why

%engine=xetex

\usetypescript[modern]    [ec]
\switchtobodyfont[modern,    10pt]
\starttext
\input zapf
\stoptext

uses
TeXExec | runtime: 1.577

while

%engine=xetex
\usetypescript[palatino]    [ec]
\switchtobodyfont[palatino,    10pt]
\starttext
\input zapf
\stoptext

uses
TeXExec | runtime: 6.469
(most time)

and even sometime uses
TeXExec | runtime: 40.806
(disk is busy, maybe due to font caching ...)

what's the difference between lm and palatino? (I think lm contains
more fonts.....)

Yue Wang

@ 2009-04-25 14:08                     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-25 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 15:33, Yue Wang wrote:
> I see, no font is defined when dumping the formats... pretty unlike plain TeX...
> then why so much time is used for iwona, while only 1.2 sec is used to
> load lm roman?

I have a bit of a problem to test all that since running fc-cache only
takes two seconds.

A run with iwona takes 2.1 seconds (2.4 when some math equations are
added) and a run with LM takes 1.1 seconds. The timings refer to
subsequent runs, not to the first run.

Maybe I should try to experiment on Windows. I have no idea when XeTeX
forces reload of fc-cache, but I suspect that any other application
does the same if font database becomes outdated. I didn't notice
subsequent runs of fc-cache though. Once fc-cache is through, it
doesn't run for a while.

Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25 14:09                         ` Mojca Miklavec
                                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-25 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> in short, can you please explain to us why
>
> %engine=xetex
>
> \usetypescript[modern]    [ec]

Once you explain why you use [ec] ...

Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25 14:13                           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-25 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 16:09, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> in short, can you please explain to us why
>>
>> %engine=xetex
>>
>> \usetypescript[modern]    [ec]
>
> Once you explain why you use [ec] ...

I thought it made a difference, but I indeed don't see any timing
difference when [ec] is added, but you need to bear in mind that LM is
loaded no matter whether you use it or if you use some other font.

I suspect that 40 seconds indeed come from fc-cache, but you need to
ask Jonathan or Akira about details. Running fc-cache is completely
out of ConTeXt's control.

Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25 14:13                           ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-25 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Mojca:

> Once you explain why you use [ec] ...

Hans uses [ec] in the previous mail.

anyway,

%engine=xetex
\usetypescript[palatino]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,    10pt]
\starttext
\input zapf
\stoptext

uses
TeXExec | runtime: 6.516

while

%engine=xetex
\usetypescript[modern]
\setupbodyfont[modern,    10pt]
\starttext
\input zapf
\stoptext

uses
TeXExec | runtime: 1.531

@ 2009-04-25 14:15                         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-25 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 16:07, Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Hans
>
> in short, can you please explain to us why
>
> %engine=xetex
>
> \usetypescript[modern]    [ec]
> \switchtobodyfont[modern,    10pt]
> \starttext
> \input zapf
> \stoptext
>
> uses
> TeXExec | runtime: 1.577
>
> while
>
> %engine=xetex
> \usetypescript[palatino]    [ec]
> \switchtobodyfont[palatino,    10pt]
> \starttext
> \input zapf
> \stoptext
>
> uses
> TeXExec | runtime: 6.469
> (most time)
>
> and even sometime uses
> TeXExec | runtime: 40.806
> (disk is busy, maybe due to font caching ...)
>
> what's the difference between lm and palatino? (I think lm contains
> more fonts.....)

Out of curiosity: does timing change if you delete everything but
iwona from type-otf.mkii?

Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25 14:31                           ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-25 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> what's the difference between lm and palatino? (I think lm contains
>> more fonts.....)
>
> Out of curiosity: does timing change if you delete everything but
> iwona from type-otf.mkii?

maybe just set cont-sys.rme, and enable palatino there, then the
palatino loading time can be very short.

@ 2009-04-25 14:41                   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-25 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> context never dumps fonts in the format

there is one line in cont-en.tex:
 \setupencoding[default=ec] \usetypescript[fallback][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[rm,12pt]

also in context.tex:
\setupencoding[default=ec]
\usetypescript[fallback][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[rm,12pt]

the fallback typescript are defined in type-otf.tex:
\starttypescript [fallback]
    \definetypeface [] [rm] [serif] [modern] [computer-modern]
    \definetypeface [] [ss] [sans]  [modern] [computer-modern]
    \definetypeface [] [tt] [mono]  [modern] [computer-modern]
    \definetypeface [] [mm] [math]  [modern] [computer-modern]
    \quittypescriptscanning
\stoptypescript

so when the formats are dumped, all lm fonts are loaded?

(I don't know whether at this stage the actual tfms are loaded...)

@ 2009-04-25 16:15                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-25 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 15:33, Yue Wang wrote:
>> I see, no font is defined when dumping the formats... pretty unlike plain TeX...
>> then why so much time is used for iwona, while only 1.2 sec is used to
>> load lm roman?
>
> I have a bit of a problem to test all that since running fc-cache only
> takes two seconds.

here fc-cache takes minutes

> A run with iwona takes 2.1 seconds (2.4 when some math equations are
> added) and a run with LM takes 1.1 seconds. The timings refer to
> subsequent runs, not to the first run.

lm is faster because the definitions are preloaded (not the fonts
themselves but the typescript defs)

> Maybe I should try to experiment on Windows. I have no idea when XeTeX
> forces reload of fc-cache, but I suspect that any other application
> does the same if font database becomes outdated. I didn't notice
> subsequent runs of fc-cache though. Once fc-cache is through, it
> doesn't run for a while.

here it runs *each* xetex run

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-04-25 16:17                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-25 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Hans
>
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> Yue Wang wrote:
>>> I see, no font is defined when dumping the formats... pretty unlike plain
>>> TeX...
>>> then why so much time is used for iwona, while only 1.2 sec is used to
>>> load lm roman?
>> see previous mail ... because xetex rebuilds the fc cache each time; so it's
>> not related to context as all name lookups suffer from the same
>>

> then if it tries to load lm, it will build fc cache too, why is the
>
> in short, can you please explain to us why

name: uses the font database with file system fallback
file: uses the file system with fontname fallback

when the font cache is ok there is no difference in speed; ha snothign
to do with the font or context

(in mkiv there is a bit more clever searching going on)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-04-25 16:18                           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-25 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> in short, can you please explain to us why
>>
>> %engine=xetex
>>
>> \usetypescript[modern]    [ec]
>
> Once you explain why you use [ec] ...

because i also run the test for pdftex -)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-25 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Out of curiosity: does timing change if you delete everything but
> iwona from type-otf.mkii?

unrelated

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-04-25 16:19                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-25 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>> what's the difference between lm and palatino? (I think lm contains
>>> more fonts.....)
>> Out of curiosity: does timing change if you delete everything but
>> iwona from type-otf.mkii?
>
> maybe just set cont-sys.rme, and enable palatino there, then the
> palatino loading time can be very short.

loaded at runtime anyway so unrelated

as mentioned several times before now ... it has nothing to do with the
speed of loading a font metric file or parsing typescripts but all with
the font cache

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-04-25 16:21                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-25 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> context never dumps fonts in the format
>
> there is one line in cont-en.tex:
>  \setupencoding[default=ec] \usetypescript[fallback][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[rm,12pt]
>

> also in context.tex:
> \setupencoding[default=ec]
> \usetypescript[fallback][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[rm,12pt]
>
> the fallback typescript are defined in type-otf.tex:
> \starttypescript [fallback]
>     \definetypeface [] [rm] [serif] [modern] [computer-modern]
>     \definetypeface [] [ss] [sans]  [modern] [computer-modern]
>     \definetypeface [] [tt] [mono]  [modern] [computer-modern]
>     \definetypeface [] [mm] [math]  [modern] [computer-modern]
>     \quittypescriptscanning
> \stoptypescript
>
> so when the formats are dumped, all lm fonts are loaded?
>
> (I don't know whether at this stage the actual tfms are loaded...)

only font definitions are in the format (for the modern typeface) but no
fonts are loaded; context loads on demands

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-04-25 18:06                               ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-25 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:19, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Yue Wang wrote:
>>
>> maybe just set cont-sys.rme, and enable palatino there, then the
>> palatino loading time can be very short.
>
> loaded at runtime anyway so unrelated
>
> as mentioned several times before now ... it has nothing to do with the
> speed of loading a font metric file or parsing typescripts but all with the
> font cache

There was indeed a difference here.
Total runtime when loading palatino has decreased from 3 to 1.3
seconds if I made the change.

But I cannot tell if during those two additional seconds fc cache has
been regenerated.

Mojca

* Re: Why searching fonts in xetex is so slow?
@ 2009-04-25 18:17                                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 18:19, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Yue Wang wrote:
>>> maybe just set cont-sys.rme, and enable palatino there, then the
>>> palatino loading time can be very short.
>> loaded at runtime anyway so unrelated
>>
>> as mentioned several times before now ... it has nothing to do with the
>> speed of loading a font metric file or parsing typescripts but all with the
>> font cache
>
> There was indeed a difference here.
> Total runtime when loading palatino has decreased from 3 to 1.3
> seconds if I made the change.
>
> But I cannot tell if during those two additional seconds fc cache has
> been regenerated.

it also depends on how ths OS caches files in mem (if you have enough of
it) and the size of the tree (quit esome time is spent on the many real
huge fonts that i have on my machine)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE