* Opposite Blocks or Spread Based Layouts
@ 2009-03-16  6:00 Corin Royal Drummond
From: Corin Royal Drummond @ 2009-03-16  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi ConTeXt ComRaDes,

Trying to design a travelogue book with photos on the left page, and
text on the right.  Tried \startopposite to get an opposite block, and
turned it on with \setupoppositeplacing[state=start], to no discernable
effect.  Am I doing something wrong, or is there another way to do this?

Any tips much appreciated.

Corin Royal Drummond

P.S. My poetry book is coming along nicely.  I'll be sure to send along
a link when it's finished.

* Re: Opposite Blocks or Spread Based Layouts
@ 2009-03-16  7:37 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-16  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.03.2009 um 07:00 schrieb Corin Royal Drummond:

> Hi ConTeXt ComRaDes,
>
> Trying to design a travelogue book with photos on the left page, and
> text on the right.  Tried \startopposite to get an opposite block,
> and turned it on with \setupoppositeplacing[state=start], to no
> discernable effect.  Am I doing something wrong, or is there another
> way to do this?

\definestartstop
   [leftpage]
   [before={\page[yes,left]}]

\definestartstop
   [rightpage]
   [before={\page[yes,right]}]

\starttext

\startleftpage
\stopleftpage

\startrightpage
\stoprightpage

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Opposite Blocks or Spread Based Layouts
@ 2009-03-16 12:29 ` Corin Royal Drummond
From: Corin Royal Drummond @ 2009-03-16 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oops, I did forget to mention I'm using a recent ConTeXt minimal and
texexec --lua.

@ 2009-03-16 13:17   ` Corin Royal Drummond
From: Corin Royal Drummond @ 2009-03-16 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> \definestartstop
>   [leftpage]
>   [before={\page[yes,left]}]
>
> \definestartstop
>   [rightpage]
>   [before={\page[yes,right]}]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startleftpage
> \stopleftpage
>
> \startrightpage
> \stoprightpage
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang
Wolfgang,

Thanks for the solution.  That pretty much get's me what I need.

Still wondering what's up with opposite blocks though, if any one
knows.  \startopposite \setupoppositeplacing et al.

Cheers,

Corin Royal Drummond

* Re: Opposite Blocks or Spread Based Layouts
@ 2009-03-16 14:33     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-16 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.03.2009 um 14:17 schrieb Corin Royal Drummond:

> Still wondering what's up with opposite blocks though, if any one
> knows.  \startopposite \setupoppositeplacing et al.

I think the can be called broken and Hans hadn't needed them
in the past so no one noticed it. In this case it shoudn't be
a problem to replace the current definition with something
working, tell use what do you need to do this.

Wolfgang

* Re: Opposite Blocks or Spread Based Layouts
@ 2009-03-16 22:56       ` Corin Royal Drummond
From: Corin Royal Drummond @ 2009-03-16 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 16.03.2009 um 14:17 schrieb Corin Royal Drummond:
>
>> Still wondering what's up with opposite blocks though, if any one
>> knows.  \startopposite \setupoppositeplacing et al.
>
> I think the can be called broken and Hans hadn't needed them
> in the past so no one noticed it. In this case it shoudn't be
> a problem to replace the current definition with something
> working, tell use what do you need to do this.
>
> Wolfgang
Ah, I see.  No one ever used it, so opposite float placements died a
lonely death from malnutrition.  Seems like a lovely concept for laying
out photo books with text, but I can route around.  Thanks for the heads
up, Wolfgang.

Corin