* xetex and attachment: troubles
@ 2008-03-31 15:28 Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-03-31 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,
I'm using xetex with fun (as suggested and discussed on the mailing
list).

I'm revising a previously created document which used attachment
command.
(the one documented here:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/
Verbatim_text#A_different_approach_to_formatting_and_code_colorization
)

The actual version is here:
http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/sw/sc/prd_tSCIRMA_scr.pdf

Now, with ConTeXt no problem.
If I use XeConTeXt (--> texexec --xtx) the file is not attached
(there's the marker, a link is diplayed, but Acrobat says that
there's no attachment).
As far as I can say, the problem seems to depend on --xtx switch,

Any hints?

Thanks

Best

-a-

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.myspace.com/andreavalle
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

"
Think of it as seasoning
. noise [salt] is boring
. F(blah) [food without salt] can be boring
. F(noise, blah) can be really tasty
"
(Ken Perlin on noise)

* Re: xetex and attachment: troubles
@ 2008-04-02 20:27 ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-04-02 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, but I would need a solution, or at least to know if there's
nothing to do.

Any hints?

Best

Thanks

-a-

@ 2008-04-02 21:29 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-02 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Andrea Valle wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'm using xetex with fun (as suggested and discussed on the mailing list).
>
> I'm revising a previously created document which used attachment command.
> (the one documented here:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Verbatim_text#A_different_approach_to_formatting_and_code_colorization
> )
>
> The actual version is here:
> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/sw/sc/prd_tSCIRMA_scr.pdf
>
> Now, with ConTeXt no problem.
> If I use XeConTeXt (--> texexec --xtx) the file is not attached (there's the
> marker, a link is diplayed, but Acrobat says that there's no attachment).
> As far as I can say, the problem seems to depend on --xtx switch,

The problem is not the "--xtx switch", but the lack of support for the
underlying (xdvipdfmx) driver.

I googled a bit and found the following slides:
      http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/doc/tug2005.pdf
see page 18 in particular.

In spec-fdf there is:

\definespecial \doattachfile {\doPDFattachfile}

\def\doPDFattachfile#1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8%
  {\bgroup % title width height color symbol file
   \edefconvertedargument\PDFfile{#8}%
   % beware: the symbol may (indirectly) use the file
   % reference when typesetting the object number;
   \presetPDFsymbolappearance{#5}{#6}{#2}{#3}{#4}% sets width/height
   \startPDFsymbolappearance
     \doPDFembedfile\PDFfile{#7}{#8}%
     \doPDFgetembeddedfilereference\PDFfile\PDFobjectreference
     \setFDFlayer\@@DriverAttachmentLayer
     \doPDFannotation{\width}{\totalheight}
       {/Subtype /FileAttachment
        /FS \PDFobjectreference\space
        /Contents (#1)
        \PDFsymbol
        \FDFlayer
        \PDFattributes}%
   \stopPDFsymbolappearance
   \egroup}

Something similar needs to be added to spec-dpx.tex. (If Hans doesn't
reply, then someone else will have to.)

Mojca

* Re: xetex and attachment: troubles
@ 2008-04-03  9:08   ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-04-03  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Mojca,

> The problem is not the "--xtx switch", but the lack of support for the
> underlying (xdvipdfmx) driver.

Sorry, please remember I'm very far from there...
I was just meaning: the problem is in xetex engine?

> I googled a bit and found the following slides:
>       http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/doc/tug2005.pdf
> see page 18 in particular.

thanks, means really nothing to me :-)

> In spec-fdf there is:
>
> \definespecial \doattachfile {\doPDFattachfile}
>
> \def\doPDFattachfile#1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8%
>   {\bgroup % title width height color symbol file
>    \edefconvertedargument\PDFfile{#8}%
>    % beware: the symbol may (indirectly) use the file
>    % reference when typesetting the object number;
>    \presetPDFsymbolappearance{#5}{#6}{#2}{#3}{#4}% sets width/height
>    \startPDFsymbolappearance
>      \doPDFembedfile\PDFfile{#7}{#8}%
>      \doPDFgetembeddedfilereference\PDFfile\PDFobjectreference
>      \setFDFlayer\@@DriverAttachmentLayer
>      \doPDFannotation{\width}{\totalheight}
>        {/Subtype /FileAttachment
>         /FS \PDFobjectreference\space
>         /Contents (#1)
>         \PDFsymbol
>         \FDFlayer
>         \PDFattributes}%
>    \stopPDFsymbolappearance
>    \egroup}
>

> Something similar needs to be added to spec-dpx.tex.

Can't follow you here. What is spec-dpx?

Best

-a-

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.myspace.com/andreavalle
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who
doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this
guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with
me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss
Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

@ 2008-04-03 10:10     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-03 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Andrea Valle wrote:
> Thanks Mojca,
>
> The problem is not the "--xtx switch", but the lack of support for the
> underlying (xdvipdfmx) driver.
>

> Sorry, please remember I'm very far from there...
> I was just meaning: the problem is in xetex engine?
>

> I googled a bit and found the following slides:
>       http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/doc/tug2005.pdf
> see page 18 in particular.
>
> > thanks, means really nothing to me :-)

It was meant for someone else trying to help :-)

> > Something similar needs to be added to spec-dpx.tex.
>
> Can't follow you here. What is spec-dpx?

[TEXMF]/tex/context/base/spec-dpx.tex is a file that someone should
fix in order to make attachments work with XeTeX.

Mojca

* Re: xetex and attachment: troubles
@ 2008-04-03 10:17       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-03 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Andrea Valle wrote:
>> Thanks Mojca,
>>
>> The problem is not the "--xtx switch", but the lack of support for the
>> underlying (xdvipdfmx) driver.
>>

>> Sorry, please remember I'm very far from there...
>> I was just meaning: the problem is in xetex engine?
>>

>> I googled a bit and found the following slides:
>>       http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/doc/tug2005.pdf
>> see page 18 in particular.
>>
>>> thanks, means really nothing to me :-)
>
> It was meant for someone else trying to help :-)

she meant me; however, i have no test file and probably a non working
xetex on my machine (need to update)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-04-03 10:53         ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-04-03 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Mojca, Hans,

ok, I've understood.

:)

-a-

@ 2009-04-10  1:05           ` Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2009-04-10  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Any progress on this?  As of 2009-04-09, attachments with xetex still
behave as Andrea described on 2008-03-31.  (I'm using the xetex in the
minimals.)

Jesse

@ 2009-04-10  7:49             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-10  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesse Alama wrote:
> Any progress on this?  As of 2009-04-09, attachments with xetex still
> behave as Andrea described on 2008-03-31.  (I'm using the xetex in the
> minimals.)

i didn't look into it; it's mostly a dpx backend issue btw, not that
much related to xetex

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE