* Two issues related to xetex
@ 2009-05-11 16:38 Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-05-11 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans and Mojca:

first, (to Mojca) the first-setup.sh script still deletes fontconfig
cache when updating on windows.

second, (to Hans) unicode-letters.tex is read when we dump plain TeX
or LaTeX format in TeXLive. This file is wrote by Jonathan Kew in
order to initialize XeTeX. It defines many important unicode
properties into XeTeX. However, ConTeXt do not load that file when
dumping the xetex format. The file is not even in ConTeXt
distribution. I suggest that the file should be loaded.
You can find the file in
http://scripts.sil.org/svn-public/xetex/TRUNK/texmf/tex/generic/xetex/unicode-letters.tex
XeTeX's plain TeX ini file can be find in
http://scripts.sil.org/svn-public/xetex/TRUNK/texmf/tex/xetex/config/xetex.ini

If the file is not loaded, thousands of lines should be copied to
third party modules (like the module I announce on the mailing list
today) in order to support some language correctly. This method is
quite messy, not to say inefficient for loading.

Yue Wang

* Re: Two issues related to xetex
@ 2009-05-11 17:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-11 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:

> second, (to Hans) unicode-letters.tex is read when we dump plain TeX
> or LaTeX format in TeXLive. This file is wrote by Jonathan Kew in
> order to initialize XeTeX. It defines many important unicode
> properties into XeTeX. However, ConTeXt do not load that file when
> dumping the xetex format. The file is not even in ConTeXt
> distribution. I suggest that the file should be loaded.

i don't want dependencies on files outside the context proper; too many
bad experiences with that as they always are made for latex and i don'w
want to waste time on keeping track of all those things anyway

context has enco-utf which is generated from the mkiv character database
and that's our reference definition

(although not relevant for cjk, context also ships its own pattern,
already in utf for quite a while)

so, if some definition is missing we should first fix char-def and then
regenerate enco-utf using mtxrun --script chars --utf

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-11 19:54 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-05-11 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 18:38, Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Hans and Mojca:
>
> first, (to Mojca) the first-setup.sh script still deletes fontconfig
> cache when updating on windows.

Hmmm ... while experimenting a bit and after writing a long answer
explaining that I'll come back to it after a while ... I figured out
that I have already implemented a fix, but completely forgot about it.
Hans, does this make sense?

local normalflags = states.get("rsync.flags.normal")
local deleteflags = ""
if (destination:find("texmf$") or destination:find("context$")) and
(not environment.argument("keep")) then
    deleteflags = states.get("rsync.flags.delete")
end
command = format("%s %s %s %s'%s' '%s'", bin, normalflags,
deleteflags, url, archives, destination)

This only adds the --delete flag to texmf-context and texmf, others
are not touched. The consequence is that this won't delete your pdftex
binary automatically if you decide that you only need LuaTeX one day,
but I think that it makes sense as a temporary fix since:
- it prevents deleting font cache
- it reduces the need to recreate the formats when nothing has been updated

Mojca

* Re: Two issues related to xetex
@ 2009-05-11 21:13   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-11 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Hans, does this make sense?
>
> local normalflags = states.get("rsync.flags.normal")
> local deleteflags = ""
> if (destination:find("texmf$") or destination:find("context$")) and
> (not environment.argument("keep")) then
>     deleteflags = states.get("rsync.flags.delete")
> end
> command = format("%s %s %s %s'%s' '%s'", bin, normalflags,
> deleteflags, url, archives, destination)

ok, i'll change it

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE