* The ultimate (?) float problem
@ 2009-05-12  9:22 Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2009-05-12  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I am close to give up, but maybe there is a solution... I have a book
to typeset literally peppered with hundreds of little drawings which
are supposed to appear irregularly surrounded by text flowing around
them on all sides.
--------------------------------
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
|xxxxx-----xxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
|xxxxx|     |xxxxxx----xxxx |
|xxxxx|__|xxxxxx|     |xxxx|
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxx |__|xxxx|
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
--------------------------------

I naively imagine that should not be that hard to implement ;) Since
we already have overlays it's no problem to place images in arbitrary
places. It only remains to drill white holes in the text to make room
for them.  What about such procedure:

1. While building the line TeX checks if there is any overlay ahead.
2 if so, it puts empty hbox of the overlay width when it reaches
necessary distance from the edge.
3. and does so for the number of lines which equal overlay height.

Of course that  leaves aside the problem of justification and without
justification such page would probably look very ugly (I dare not to
think if hz optimization, which I really got used to, would still
work).
Is there still hope I could stay with ConTeXt this time as well?

Many thanks for any ideas in advance

Piotr
--
http://okle.pl

* Re: The ultimate (?) float problem
@ 2009-05-12 10:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-12 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am close to give up, but maybe there is a solution... I have a book
> to typeset literally peppered with hundreds of little drawings which
> are supposed to appear irregularly surrounded by text flowing around
> them on all sides.
> --------------------------------
> |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
> |xxxxx-----xxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
> |xxxxx|     |xxxxxx----xxxx |
> |xxxxx|__|xxxxxx|     |xxxx|
> |xxxxxxxxxxxxxx |__|xxxx|
> |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
> --------------------------------
>
> I naively imagine that should not be that hard to implement ;) Since
> we already have overlays it's no problem to place images in arbitrary
> places. It only remains to drill white holes in the text to make room
> for them.  What about such procedure:
>
> 1. While building the line TeX checks if there is any overlay ahead.
> 2 if so, it puts empty hbox of the overlay width when it reaches
> necessary distance from the edge.
> 3. and does so for the number of lines which equal overlay height.
>
> Of course that  leaves aside the problem of justification and without
> justification such page would probably look very ugly (I dare not to
> think if hz optimization, which I really got used to, would still
> work).
> Is there still hope I could stay with ConTeXt this time as well?

one can have parshapes in tex but not that complex as you want

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-12 10:16   ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2009-05-12 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Any chance lua might change something here in the future?

P.

@ 2009-05-12 10:28 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-05-12 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am close to give up, but maybe there is a solution... I have a book
> to typeset literally peppered with hundreds of little drawings which
> are supposed to appear irregularly surrounded by text flowing around
> them on all sides.
> --------------------------------
> |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
> |xxxxx-----xxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
> |xxxxx|     |xxxxxx----xxxx |
> |xxxxx|__|xxxxxx|     |xxxx|
> |xxxxxxxxxxxxxx |__|xxxx|
> |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
> --------------------------------
>
> I naively imagine that should not be that hard to implement ;) Since
> we already have overlays it's no problem to place images in arbitrary
> places. It only remains to drill white holes in the text to make room
> for them.  What about such procedure:
>
> 1. While building the line TeX checks if there is any overlay ahead.
> 2 if so, it puts empty hbox of the overlay width when it reaches
> necessary distance from the edge.
> 3. and does so for the number of lines which equal overlay height.
>
> Of course that  leaves aside the problem of justification and without
> justification such page would probably look very ugly (I dare not to
> think if hz optimization, which I really got used to, would still
> work).
> Is there still hope I could stay with ConTeXt this time as well?
>
> Many thanks for any ideas in advance

can you post a little example ?
--
luigi

* Re: The ultimate (?) float problem
@ 2009-05-12 10:44     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-12 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> Any chance lua might change something here in the future?

maybe, but not in the near future

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-12 11:28   ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2009-05-12 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Only to show better how I would like text and images placed on the page.

\definelayer  [figure][width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight]
\defineoverlay[figure][{\directsetup{figure}\tightlayer[figure]}]
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=figure]

\starttext

\dorecurse{4}{\input knuth}

\startsetups figure
\setlayerframed[figure][x=.3\layerwidth,y=.2\layerheight]{\externalfigure[cow][width=3cm,height=4cm]}
\setlayerframed[figure][x=.55\layerwidth,y=.4\layerheight]{\externalfigure[cow][width=3cm]}
\setlayerframed[figure][x=.4\layerwidth,y=.6\layerheight]{\externalfigure[cow][width=2cm,height=4cm]}
\stopsetups

\stoptext

@ 2009-05-12 11:46     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-05-12 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@gmail.com> wrote:

> Only to show better how I would like text and images placed on the page.
>
> \definelayer  [figure][width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight]
> \defineoverlay[figure][{\directsetup{figure}\tightlayer[figure]}]
> \setupcolors[state=start]
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=figure]
>

> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{4}{\input knuth}
>
> \startsetups figure
>
> \setlayerframed[figure][x=.3\layerwidth,y=.2\layerheight]{\externalfigure[cow][width=3cm,height=4cm]}
>
> \setlayerframed[figure][x=.55\layerwidth,y=.4\layerheight]{\externalfigure[cow][width=3cm]}
>
> \setlayerframed[figure][x=.4\layerwidth,y=.6\layerheight]{\externalfigure[cow][width=2cm,height=4cm]}
> \stopsetups
>
> \stoptext

hmm
what about columnsets ?
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns#Column_Sets

--
luigi

* Re: The ultimate (?) float problem
@ 2009-05-12 13:03       ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2009-05-12 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

But I want text in one column in the whole document. I was wondering
however if I could mimick something similar with textflows but cannot
understand the Dutch example in page-flw.tex.

Piotr

@ 2009-05-12 13:11         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-05-12 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@gmail.com> wrote:

> But I want text in one column in the whole document. I was wondering
> however if I could mimick something similar with textflows but cannot
> understand the Dutch example in page-flw.tex.

Do you mean this ?

% Example (dutch)
%
% \stelpapierformaatin [S6]
% \steltolerantiein    [soepel,rek]
% \stelkleurenin       [status=start]
% \stelvoetin          [strut=nee]
% \stelwitruimtein     [groot]
%
% \stellayoutin
%   [rechterrand=5cm,breedte=passend,marge=0pt,randafstand=1cm,
%    voet=4cm,voetafstand=1cm,hoofd=0cm]
%
% \stelteksttekstenin[rand][][\vbox{\flushtextflow{alpha}}]
% \stelvoettekstenin [rand][][\vbox{\flushtextflow{beta}}]
% \stelvoettekstenin         [\vbox{\flushtextflow{gamma}}][]
%
% \definetextflow [alfa]  [breedte=\rechterrandbreedte]
% \definetextflow [beta]  [breedte=\rechterrandbreedte]
% \definetextflow [gamma] [breedte=\voethoogte]
%
% \starttekst
%
% \dorecurse{50}
%   {\getrandomnumber{\funny}{0}{8}
%    \ifcase\funny \starttextflow[alfa]  \input tufte.tex   \stoptextflow
%    \or           \starttextflow[beta]  \input knuth.tex   \stoptextflow
%    \or           \starttextflow[gamma] \input materie.tex \stoptextflow
%    \or          {\bf   TUFTE}\quad \input tufte   \par
%    \or          {\bf   TUFTE}\quad \input tufte   \par
%    \or          {\bf   KNUTH}\quad \input knuth   \par
%    \or          {\bf   KNUTH}\quad \input knuth   \par
%    \or          {\bf MATERIE}\quad \input materie \par
%    \else        {\bf MATERIE}\quad \input materie \par
%    \fi}
%
% \stoptekst

--
luigi

* Re: The ultimate (?) float problem
@ 2009-05-12 13:18           ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2009-05-12 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, exactly.

2009/5/12 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> But I want text in one column in the whole document. I was wondering
>> however if I could mimick something similar with textflows but cannot
>> understand the Dutch example in page-flw.tex.
>>

> Do you mean this ?
>
> % Example (dutch)
> %
> % \stelpapierformaatin [S6]
> % \steltolerantiein    [soepel,rek]
> % \stelkleurenin       [status=start]
> % \stelvoetin          [strut=nee]
> % \stelwitruimtein     [groot]
> %
> % \stellayoutin
> %   [rechterrand=5cm,breedte=passend,marge=0pt,randafstand=1cm,
> %    voet=4cm,voetafstand=1cm,hoofd=0cm]
> %
> % \stelteksttekstenin[rand][][\vbox{\flushtextflow{alpha}}]
> % \stelvoettekstenin [rand][][\vbox{\flushtextflow{beta}}]
> % \stelvoettekstenin         [\vbox{\flushtextflow{gamma}}][]
> %
> % \definetextflow [alfa]  [breedte=\rechterrandbreedte]
> % \definetextflow [beta]  [breedte=\rechterrandbreedte]
> % \definetextflow [gamma] [breedte=\voethoogte]
> %
> % \starttekst
> %
> % \dorecurse{50}
> %   {\getrandomnumber{\funny}{0}{8}
> %    \ifcase\funny \starttextflow[alfa]  \input tufte.tex   \stoptextflow
> %    \or           \starttextflow[beta]  \input knuth.tex   \stoptextflow
> %    \or           \starttextflow[gamma] \input materie.tex \stoptextflow
> %    \or          {\bf   TUFTE}\quad \input tufte   \par
> %    \or          {\bf   TUFTE}\quad \input tufte   \par
> %    \or          {\bf   KNUTH}\quad \input knuth   \par
> %    \or          {\bf   KNUTH}\quad \input knuth   \par
> %    \or          {\bf MATERIE}\quad \input materie \par
> %    \else        {\bf MATERIE}\quad \input materie \par
> %    \fi}
> %
> % \stoptekst
>

> --
> luigi

http://okle.pl

* ppchtex color
@ 2009-05-12 13:29       ` Alan BRASLAU
                           ` (5 more replies)
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-05-12 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

No, ppchtex is not dead...

I would like to use color.

1. color= and rulecolor= does not appear to be implemented (mkiv)...
2. how can one change the color of the bonds?
3. using \color[red]{} causes the text to be offset.

"minimal" example:

\setupcolors[state=start]
\usemodule[chemic]
\starttext

\startchemical
	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
\stopchemical

\startchemical
	\color[red]{\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]}
\stopchemical
% text "C" is offset...

\startchemical
	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][{\red C}]
\stopchemical
% OK, but I would like to draw the bonds as well in red.

\startchemical[color=red]
	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
\stopchemical
% "C" is red in mkii, black in mkiv

\startchemical[rulecolor=red]
	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
\stopchemical
% bonds are black, "C" is red in mkii, black in mkiv

\stoptext

* Re: The ultimate (?) float problem
@ 2009-05-12 13:32             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-12 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.05.2009 um 15:18 schrieb Piotr Kopszak:

> Yes, exactly.

\setuppapersize [S6]
\setuptolerance [soepel,rek]
\setupcolors    [state=start]
\setupfooter    [strut=no]
\setupwhitespace[big]

\setuplayout
   [rightmargin=5cm,
    width=fit,
    margin=0pt,
    edgedistance=1cm,
    footer=4cm,
    footerdistance=1cm,
    header=0cm]

\setuptexttexts  [margin][][\vbox{\flushtextflow{alpha}}]
\setupfootertexts[margin][][\vbox{\flushtextflow{beta}}]
\setupfootertexts        [\vbox{\flushtextflow{gamma}}][]

\definetextflow [alfa]  [width=\rightmarginwidth]
\definetextflow [beta]  [width=\rightmarginwidth]
\definetextflow [gamma] [width=\footerheight]

\starttext

\dorecurse{50}
   {\getrandomnumber{\funny}{0}{8}
    \ifcase\funny \starttextflow[alfa]  \input tufte.tex   \stoptextflow
    \or           \starttextflow[beta]  \input knuth.tex   \stoptextflow
    \or           \starttextflow[gamma] \input materie.tex \stoptextflow
    \or          {\bf   TUFTE}\quad \input tufte   \par
    \or          {\bf   TUFTE}\quad \input tufte   \par
    \or          {\bf   KNUTH}\quad \input knuth   \par
    \or          {\bf   KNUTH}\quad \input knuth   \par
    \or          {\bf MATERIE}\quad \input materie \par
    \else        {\bf MATERIE}\quad \input materie \par
    \fi}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: The ultimate (?) float problem
@ 2009-05-12 13:45               ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2009-05-12 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Right. If I understand correctly on the first look textflows appear
in fixed locations on consecutive pages. I guess I'm banging my head
against a wall but what about if it was possible to have them side by
side on the same page?

@ 2009-05-12 14:16               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-05-12 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Wolfgang Schuster <
schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 12.05.2009 um 15:18 schrieb Piotr Kopszak:
>
>  Yes, exactly.
>>

> \setuppapersize [S6]
> \setuptolerance [soepel,rek]

better

\setuppapersize [S6][S6]
\setuptolerance [tolerant,stretch]
--
luigi

* Re: ppchtex color
@ 2009-05-12 17:57         ` Hans Hagen
                           ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-12 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> \startchemical
> 	\color[red]{\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]}
> \stopchemical
> % text "C" is offset...

add a % after the } (maybe we should ignore endofline, i.e. make a mkiv
variant and extend/maintain that)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ppchtex color
@ 2009-05-12 18:07         ` Hans Hagen
                           ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-12 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> No, ppchtex is not dead...
>
> I would like to use color.
>
> 1. color= and rulecolor= does not appear to be implemented (mkiv)...
> 2. how can one change the color of the bonds?
> 3. using \color[red]{} causes the text to be offset.
>
> "minimal" example:
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
> \usemodule[chemic]
> \starttext
>
> \startchemical
> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
> \stopchemical
>
> \startchemical
> 	\color[red]{\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]}
> \stopchemical
> % text "C" is offset...
>
> \startchemical
> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][{\red C}]
> \stopchemical
> % OK, but I would like to draw the bonds as well in red.
>
> \startchemical[color=red]
> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
> \stopchemical
> % "C" is red in mkii, black in mkiv

has to do with different color mechanism ..

path line 1171:

\setbox2=\hbox{\@@dochemicalcolor$\@@dochemicalstyle{\@@localchemicalformat
\chemicaltext}$}%

> \startchemical[rulecolor=red]
> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
> \stopchemical
> % bonds are black, "C" is red in mkii, black in mkiv
>
> \stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ppchtex color
@ 2009-05-12 18:17         ` Hans Hagen
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-12 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> No, ppchtex is not dead...
>
> I would like to use color.
>
> 1. color= and rulecolor= does not appear to be implemented (mkiv)...
> 2. how can one change the color of the bonds?
> 3. using \color[red]{} causes the text to be offset.
>
> "minimal" example:
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
> \usemodule[chemic]
> \starttext
>
> \startchemical
> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
> \stopchemical
>
> \startchemical
> 	\color[red]{\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]}
> \stopchemical
> % text "C" is offset...
>
> \startchemical
> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][{\red C}]
> \stopchemical
> % OK, but I would like to draw the bonds as well in red.
>
> \startchemical[color=red]
> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
> \stopchemical
> % "C" is red in mkii, black in mkiv
>
> \startchemical[rulecolor=red]
> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
> \stopchemical

setting happened at the outer level (ok, that's broken now but we can
fix that later); so now, each formula must have the settings; when i
have time i'll make a mkiv variant so that we can upgrade (i don't want
interference with mkii since that version is also used in latex and we
don't need to upgrade that)

\def\setchemicalattributes
   {\scratchdimen\@@chemicalrulethickness
    \def\chemicalattributes
      {withpen pencircle scaled \the\scratchdimen\space
       withcolor }%
    \doifelsenothing\@@chemicalrulecolor
      {\edef\chemicalattributes{\chemicalattributes black}}
      {\edef\chemicalattributes{\chemicalattributes
\MPcolor{\@@chemicalrulecolor}}}%
    \startMPdrawing
      drawoptions (\chemicalattributes) ;
    \stopMPdrawing}

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ppchtex color
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-05-12 20:45         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-12 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> No, ppchtex is not dead...

i split ppchtex in mkii/mkiv (and included the fixes) so we can improve
things eventually

can you check if it still runs ok (beta zip on website)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ppchtex color
                           ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-05-12 21:30         ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-05-12 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> i split ppchtex in mkii/mkiv (and included the fixes) so we can improve
> things eventually
>
> can you check if it still runs ok (beta zip on website)
>
> Hans

Unzipped cont-tmf.zip on top of my minimals installation and ran context on my
current working documents:

system          : module chemic loaded
(/usr/local/context.new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-chemic.tex
(/usr/local/context.new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-chemic.mkiv
system          : module pictex loaded
(/usr/local/context.new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-pictex.tex
(/usr/local/context.new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/thrd-pic.tex
warning         : \dimen \linethickness is already defined (\relax it first)
)) (/usr/local/context.new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/ppchtex.mkiv
ppchtex         : using PiCTeX and MetaPost
)))

It appears to work as before...
(I will now look into your color suggestions.)

Alan

* Re: ppchtex color
                           ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-05-12 21:51         ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-05-12 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> i split ppchtex in mkii/mkiv (and included the fixes) so we can improve
> things eventually
>
> can you check if it still runs ok (beta zip on website)
>
> Hans

Works correctly (bonds in red, atoms in black):

\usemodule[chemic]
\setupchemical[rulecolor=red]
\starttext
\startchemical
	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
\stopchemical
\stoptext

However, the following variant does not work.

\usemodule[chemic]
\starttext
\startchemical[rulecolor=red]
	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
\stopchemical
\stoptext

I don't understand, as my (quick) look at the source code
indicates that the parameters should be handled identically.

Alan

* Re: ppchtex color
@ 2009-05-12 21:53           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-12 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>> i split ppchtex in mkii/mkiv (and included the fixes) so we can improve
>> things eventually
>>
>> can you check if it still runs ok (beta zip on website)
>>
>> Hans
>
> Unzipped cont-tmf.zip on top of my minimals installation and ran context on my
> current working documents:
>
> system          : module chemic loaded
> (/usr/local/context.new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-chemic.tex
> (/usr/local/context.new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-chemic.mkiv
> system          : module pictex loaded
> (/usr/local/context.new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-pictex.tex
> (/usr/local/context.new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/thrd-pic.tex
> warning         : \dimen \linethickness is already defined (\relax it first)
> )) (/usr/local/context.new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/ppchtex.mkiv
> ppchtex         : using PiCTeX and MetaPost
> )))
>
> It appears to work as before...
> (I will now look into your color suggestions.)

color should work ok (that is: color=red, and rulecolor=red)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ppchtex color
@ 2009-05-13  8:33           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-13  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>> i split ppchtex in mkii/mkiv (and included the fixes) so we can improve
>> things eventually
>>
>> can you check if it still runs ok (beta zip on website)
>>
>> Hans
>
> Works correctly (bonds in red, atoms in black):
>
> \usemodule[chemic]
> \setupchemical[rulecolor=red]
> \starttext
> \startchemical
> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
> \stopchemical
> \stoptext
>

> However, the following variant does not work.
>
> \usemodule[chemic]
> \starttext
> \startchemical[rulecolor=red]
> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
> \stopchemical
> \stoptext
>
> I don't understand, as my (quick) look at the source code
> indicates that the parameters should be handled identically.

no, that was actually the problem ... local vs global ... for the moment
set it up local (per formula) as i need to make an inheritance chain

now that i've split in mkii/mkiv that's easier since we no longer have
to keep things working in latex (which means that we can use more core
helper code)

just remind me occasionally

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ppchtex color
@ 2009-05-13  8:55             ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-05-13  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wednesday 13 May 2009 10:33:18 Hans Hagen wrote:
> Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > Works correctly (bonds in red, atoms in black):
> >
> > \usemodule[chemic]
> > \setupchemical[rulecolor=red]
> > \starttext
> > \startchemical
> > 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
> > \stopchemical
> > \stoptext
> >

> > However, the following variant does not work.
> >
> > \usemodule[chemic]
> > \starttext
> > \startchemical[rulecolor=red]
> > 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
> > \stopchemical
> > \stoptext
> >
> > I don't understand, as my (quick) look at the source code
> > indicates that the parameters should be handled identically.
>
> no, that was actually the problem ... local vs global ... for the moment
> set it up local (per formula) as i need to make an inheritance chain
>
> now that i've split in mkii/mkiv that's easier since we no longer have
> to keep things working in latex (which means that we can use more core
> helper code)
>
> just remind me occasionally

OK. The following extension would also be useful:

\usemodule[chemic]
\starttext
\startchemical
	\chemical[SIX,B,rulecolor=red,AU][]
\stopchemical
\stoptext

* Re: ppchtex color
@ 2009-05-13 11:25               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-13 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 May 2009 10:33:18 Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>>> Works correctly (bonds in red, atoms in black):
>>>
>>> \usemodule[chemic]
>>> \setupchemical[rulecolor=red]
>>> \starttext
>>> \startchemical
>>> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
>>> \stopchemical
>>> \stoptext
>>>

>>> However, the following variant does not work.
>>>
>>> \usemodule[chemic]
>>> \starttext
>>> \startchemical[rulecolor=red]
>>> 	\chemical[ONE,SB,Z0][C]
>>> \stopchemical
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> I don't understand, as my (quick) look at the source code
>>> indicates that the parameters should be handled identically.
>> no, that was actually the problem ... local vs global ... for the moment
>> set it up local (per formula) as i need to make an inheritance chain
>>
>> now that i've split in mkii/mkiv that's easier since we no longer have
>> to keep things working in latex (which means that we can use more core
>> helper code)
>>
>> just remind me occasionally
>
> OK. The following extension would also be useful:
>
> \usemodule[chemic]
> \starttext
> \startchemical
> 	\chemical[SIX,B,rulecolor=red,AU][]
> \stopchemical
> \stoptext

in mkiv syntax that is:

\defineprocessor[chemred][color=red]

\startchemical
	\chemical[SIX,SB,C135,R,Z][chemred->A,chemred->C,chemred->C]
\stopchemical

we can rewrite ppchtex a bit but it depends on how much time you want to
spend on filling in the holes that i will create (i can make the framework)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-14  9:17                 ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2009-05-14  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I more or less got the idea of what is possible. But let me
describe my project. Maybe you might come up with a better solution.
I'm going to typeset a diary written and drawn by an illustrator and
graphic designer 70 years ago. What is unique, it consists of
handwritten pages which were already composed for publication. So in
fact I have to preserve both the juxtaposition of illustrations and
the text (give or take line or two). As basically the text should not
flow between pages I guess I could set the whole thing with layers
only. The biggest problem seems how to control placement of layers so
that the text inside them is set on the grid. Here is my initial setup
for a single page.

\definelayer  [figure][width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight]
\defineoverlay[figure][{\directsetup{figure}\tightlayer[figure]}]
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=figure]
\setuppagenumbering[location={footer,right}]
\usetypescript[palatino]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,14pt]
\starttext
\startbuffer[zapf]
\input zapf
\stopbuffer
\startbuffer[hawking]
\input hawking
\stopbuffer

\flushlayer[figure]

\startsetups figure
\setlayerframed[figure][frame=off,x=25mm,y=43mm]{\externalfigure[cow][width=\textwidth,height=40mm]}
\setlayerframed[figure][frame=off,x=25mm,y=90mm,align=normal,width=\textwidth]{\getbuffer[zapf]}
\setlayerframed[figure][frame=off,x=80mm,y=150mm]{\externalfigure[cow][width=30mm,height=100mm]}
\setlayerframed[figure][frame=off,x=25mm,y=150mm,align=normal,width=50mm]{\getbuffer[hawking]}
\setlayerframed[figure][frame=off,x=120mm,y=150mm,align=normal,width=50mm]{\getbuffer[hawking]}
\stopsetups
\stoptext

Of course, it looks like it's going to take couple of months of rather
tedious manual work so any ideas how to make it easier are welcome.

Piotr

http://okle.pl