* Limited with rule?
@ 2009-06-10 12:59 Matthijs Kooijman
From: Matthijs Kooijman @ 2009-06-10 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

I've been trying to create a horizontal rule of limited width, using MkIV. My
best approach so far is using a \framed with only a bottom frame:

  \framed[frame=off,bottomframe=on,width=.5\textwidth]{}

However, this is not quite elegant. Context provides two commands for drawing
lines, \hairline and \thinrule (which seem to do the same from looking at
their definition in pack-rul.mkiv, though \hairline does not seem to respond
to \setupthinrules for some reason I cannot discern...).

However, \setupthinrules accepts a lot of options (including height and depth,
which get passed to \hrule, but there is no width option (nor does there seem
any way to get \thinrule to pass a width to \hrule).

Another attempt to put a frameless \framed around the \hairline (which gets as
wide as the containing box) failed as well. The line kept getting vertical,
even when I sprinkeled some \dontleavehmod or \pars around...

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Gr.

Matthijs

* Re: Limited with rule?
@ 2009-06-10 13:41 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-06-10 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to create a horizontal rule of limited width, using MkIV. My
> best approach so far is using a \framed with only a bottom frame:
>
>   \framed[frame=off,bottomframe=on,width=.5\textwidth]{}

\blackrule[width=10cm,height=1pt,depth=1pt,color=red]

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Limited with rule?
@ 2009-06-10 13:58   ` Matthijs Kooijman
From: Matthijs Kooijman @ 2009-06-10 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

> \blackrule[width=10cm,height=1pt,depth=1pt,color=red]
That seems to work, thanks!

Is there any particular difference between all these line commands (\hairline,
\thinrule, \blackrule), apart from the options they support? Are they meant
for different situations, or is there some other reason why they exist next to
each other?

Gr.

Matthijs

* Re: Limited with rule?
@ 2009-06-10 16:55     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-06-10 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
>> \blackrule[width=10cm,height=1pt,depth=1pt,color=red]
> That seems to work, thanks!
>
> Is there any particular difference between all these line commands (\hairline,
> \thinrule, \blackrule), apart from the options they support? Are they meant
> for different situations, or is there some other reason why they exist next to
> each other?

thinrule and hairline kind of work together with text (and spacing)
while black rule is dumber but on the other hand has key values

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE