From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Mark IV Syntax highlighting support
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 00:03:41 +0200	[thread overview]

Renaud Aubin wrote:
> Hi folks !
>
> I have just finished a first draft of pret-xml.lua:
> - I need to improve its coverage (html);
> - DTD declaration is not yet managed;
> - I do nothing about re-indentation since I prefer to format my xml
> sample by myself (by hand or using xmllint);
> - That's my first try to lua/luatex (after several months of Java...) so
> my definitions (esp. for functions) is not clean at all (you have been
> warned);
>
> I have done it the "trial/error" way without much design reflexion just
> for fun (I'm on vacation)... I'm not sure it will be reusable...
>
> Take all your test files and please report issues (or give me advices)! ;)

syntax highlighting is kind of tricky esp since we can have either
correct syntax or faulty (can be educational)

this is why the pretty printers work in a rather dumb non validating
mode; however, in mkii we also have parser based variants for xml pretty
printing

in mkiv i will provide only a few pretty printers, i.e. the ones needed
for my manuals; these will be organized under pre-*

in addition i will provide a user installable variant but i need to
think about it a bit; we also need more verbose names then so that there
can be multiple pretty printers per file type; (i will also make a basic
configureable mapper but that's for later)

so, we can have both validating and non validating pretty printing and
multiple variants

in any case .. keep making and testing them .. i'll try to cook up the
plug in mechanism and naming scheme asap

Hans

ps. dtd declaration etc ... i shall provide a pretty printer based on th
ebuild in xml parser (kind of like what we have in mkii); of course this
leaves along non validated coloring

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE