* from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  7:55 R. Bastian
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-07-13  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Bonjour,

i am transferring sources from latex to context.

so i write separate files for every pstricks part and compile in a pdf-file
(tex -> dvips -> epstopdf) with a script; finally the graphics go into the
the text by \externalfigure ...

1. is there a better way ?

2. is there a way to translate Latex -> Context ?

PS: i dont like metapost

René Bastian

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  8:11 ` luigi scarso
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-13  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM, R. Bastian <rbastian@free.fr> wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> i am transferring sources from latex to context.
>
> so i write separate files for every pstricks part and compile in a pdf-file
> (tex -> dvips -> epstopdf) with a script; finally the graphics go into the
> the text by \externalfigure ...
>
> 1. is there a better way ?

no, or I don't know anything better
Maybe you can write your own macro in context using \executesystemcommand

> 2. is there a way to translate Latex -> Context ?

AFAIK, not in an automatic fashion

> PS: i dont like metapost

hmm, you should change your mind here.. metapost and context are very well
integrated  :)

--
luigi

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  8:19 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-13  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.07.2009 um 09:55 schrieb R. Bastian:

> Bonjour,
>
> i am transferring sources from latex to context.
>
> so i write separate files for every pstricks part and compile in a
> pdf-file
> (tex -> dvips -> epstopdf) with a script; finally the graphics go
> into the
> the text by \externalfigure ...
>
> 1. is there a better way ?

\usemodule[pstricks]

\startPSTRICKS
\stopPSTRICKS

Wolfgang

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  8:40   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-13  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Wolfgang Schuster <
schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 13.07.2009 um 09:55 schrieb R. Bastian:
>
>  Bonjour,
>>
>> i am transferring sources from latex to context.
>>
>> so i write separate files for every pstricks part and compile in a
>> pdf-file
>> (tex -> dvips -> epstopdf) with a script; finally the graphics go into the
>> the text by \externalfigure ...
>>
>> 1. is there a better way ?
>>

> \usemodule[pstricks]
>
> \startPSTRICKS
> \stopPSTRICKS

which is an elaborate wrapper around \executesystemcommand

--
luigi

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  8:46 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-07-13  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 09:55, R. Bastian wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> i am transferring sources from latex to context.
>
> so i write separate files for every pstricks part and compile in a pdf-file
> (tex -> dvips -> epstopdf) with a script; finally the graphics go into the
> the text by \externalfigure ...
>
> 1. is there a better way ?
>
> 2. is there a way to translate Latex -> Context ?
>
> PS: i dont like metapost

If you don't like metapost, you could take a look at TikZ. It's very
similar to PStricks, more portable and extremely poverful.

Mojca

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  9:05   ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-07-13  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:11:33 +0200
luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> scribit:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM, R. Bastian <rbastian@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > Bonjour,

[...]
> > PS: i dont like metapost
> >
> hmm, you should change your mind here.. metapost and context are very well
> integrated  :)

yo lo sé, and i regreat ;-)

> --
> luigi

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  9:05   ` R. Bastian
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-07-13  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:19:32 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> scribit:

> Am 13.07.2009 um 09:55 schrieb R. Bastian:
>
> > Bonjour,
> >
> > i am transferring sources from latex to context.
> >
> > so i write separate files for every pstricks part and compile in a
> > pdf-file
> > (tex -> dvips -> epstopdf) with a script; finally the graphics go
> > into the
> > the text by \externalfigure ...
> >
> > 1. is there a better way ?
>
> \usemodule[pstricks]

"are you schuhr ? (c)"

Nebenbei : the doc http://source.contextgarden.net/m-pstric.tex
says "%M \usemodule[pstric] etc"

i tried  \usemodule[pstricks] and:

> \startPSTRICKS
> \stopPSTRICKS
>
> Wolfgang
but the result is the same : dummy

What is the sense of \startPSTRICKS ... \stopPSTRICKS ?

rb

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  9:09     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-13  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:05 AM, R. Bastian <rbastian@free.fr> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:11:33 +0200
> luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> scribit:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM, R. Bastian <rbastian@free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > Bonjour,
> > >
> [...]
> >
> > > PS: i dont like metapost
> > >
> > hmm, you should change your mind here.. metapost and context are very
> well
> > integrated  :)
>
> yo lo sé, and i regreat ;-)

..e su dai, dagli una possibilità.... :)

--
luigi

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  9:14     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-13  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:05 AM, R. Bastian <rbastian@free.fr> wrote:

> What is the sense of \startPSTRICKS ... \stopPSTRICKS ?

A wrapper around \executesystemcommand,

 \long\def\dostartPSTRICKS[#1]#2\stopPSTRICKS
  {\doifelse{\jobsuffix}{dvi} % will some day move to app as switch
     {\hbox{#2}}
     {\startTEXapplication[#1]{\usemodule[pstric]}#2\stopTEXapplication}}

for \startTEXapplication see
page-app.tex

\long\def\dostartTEXapplication[#1]#2#3\stopTEXapplication
  {\bgroup
   \bgroup
   \let\f!temporaryextension\c!tex
   \setbuffer[\@@texapp]%
     \starttext
     #2% preamble
     \startTEXpage[#1]%
       \topskip\zeropoint
       \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{#3}%
       \saveTEXapplication02% dimensions
       \box\scratchbox
     \stopTEXpage
     \stoptext
   \endbuffer
   \egroup
   \doifelse\jobsuffix{dvi}\donetrue\donefalse
   \executesystemcommand{texexec \bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex --once --batch}%
   \ifdone % eps
     \executesystemcommand{dvips -E* -o \@@texapp.eps \@@texapp}%
   \else % pdf
     \executesystemcommand{dvips \bufferprefix\@@texapp}%
     \executesystemcommand{ps2pdf
\bufferprefix\@@texapp.ps\bufferprefix\@@texapp.pdf}%
%      \executesystemcommand{texmfstart pstopdf
\bufferprefix\@@texapp.ps\bufferprefix\@@texapp.pdf}%
   \fi
   \restoreTEXapplication % dimensions
   \doifelse\jobsuffix{dvi}\donetrue\donefalse
   \setbox\scratchbox\hbox
     {\expanded{\externalfigure
        [\bufferprefix\@@texapp.\ifdone eps\else pdf\fi]
        [\c!object=\v!no]}}%
   \setbox\scratchbox\hbox
     {\lower\ht\scratchbox\hbox{\raise\dimen2\box\scratchbox}}%
   \wd\scratchbox\dimen0
   \ht\scratchbox\dimen2
   \dp\scratchbox\zeropoint
   \box\scratchbox
   \egroup}

I suppose that works ok in mkii, but maybe not in mkiv
so the actually the best way is (imho) make pdf images  using traditional
way (latex+dvips)
and include them by \externalfigure

--
luigi

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  9:20     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-13  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.07.2009 um 11:05 schrieb R. Bastian:

>>> 1. is there a better way ?
>>
>> \usemodule[pstricks]
>
> "are you schuhr ? (c)"

Yes I am.

> Nebenbei : the doc http://source.contextgarden.net/m-pstric.tex
> says "%M \usemodule[pstric] etc"

'pstricks' is a synonym for 'pstric' and there are more of them for
the many presentation styles.

> i tried  \usemodule[pstricks] and:
>

>> \startPSTRICKS
>> \stopPSTRICKS
> but the result is the same : dummy

I explained why this happen a while ago in a longer thread, the short
version is:

ConTeXt produce pdf files by default while pstricks requires dvi -> ps
and to do
this modifications in the pstricks module have to be done.

> What is the sense of \startPSTRICKS ... \stopPSTRICKS ?

The code between \startPSTRICKS ... \stopPSTRICKS is written to a
external file
which is then converted to pdf and afterwards included as figure (the
same
procedure as the pst-pdf or whatever is the current method use).

Wolfgang

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  9:21     ` Vafa Khalighi
From: Vafa Khalighi @ 2009-07-13  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What is the sense of \startPSTRICKS ... \stopPSTRICKS ?

Maybe he meant:

\startpspicture

\stoppspicture

The actual macros of pstricks are defined in pstricks.tex and that is all
Plain TeX. I myself generally would do something like this in Plain TeX

\input pstricks
\pspicture(0,0)(2,2)
\psline(1,1)(2,2)
\endpspicture

\bye

and In LaTeX actually if you want to define an environment, you can use
\def\environment and \def\endenvironment. I guess then you could probably
use it in ConTeXt as

\startpspicture

\stoppspicture

and you can probable load pstricks by saying \usemodule[pstricks] or
anything that context uses.

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  9:23   ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-07-13  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:46:53 +0200
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> scribit:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 09:55, R. Bastian wrote:
> > Bonjour,
> >
> > i am transferring sources from latex to context.
> >
> > so i write separate files for every pstricks part and compile in a pdf-file
> > (tex -> dvips -> epstopdf) with a script; finally the graphics go into the
> > the text by \externalfigure ...
> >
> > 1. is there a better way ?
> >
> > 2. is there a way to translate Latex -> Context ?
> >
> > PS: i dont like metapost
>
> If you don't like metapost, you could take a look at TikZ. It's very
> similar to PStricks, more portable and extremely poverful.

I tried the example
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TikZ

texexec compiled it but with an error on "coordinate"

Thanks for the tip.

@ 2009-07-13  9:23       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-13  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.07.2009 um 11:14 schrieb luigi scarso:

>    \executesystemcommand{texexec \bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex --once --
> batch}%
>
> I suppose that works ok in mkii, but maybe not in mkiv

You're wrong, it will only work when you enable the dvi/dvips backend.

Wolfgang

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  9:37         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-13  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Wolfgang Schuster <
schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 13.07.2009 um 11:14 schrieb luigi scarso:
>
>    \executesystemcommand{texexec \bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex --once
>> --batch}%
>>
>> I suppose that works ok in mkii, but maybe not in mkiv
>>

> You're wrong, it will only work when you enable the dvi/dvips backend.

not so sure
by default
\executesystemcommand{texexec \bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex --once --batch}%
(line 151 on page-app.tex) gives a dvi file
(
\executesystemcommand{texexec --pdf \bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex --once
--batch}%
gives a pdf
)

--
luigi

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  9:47     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-07-13  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2009-07-13  9:50           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-13  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.07.2009 um 11:37 schrieb luigi scarso:

> by default
> \executesystemcommand{texexec \bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex --once --
> batch}%
> (line 151 on page-app.tex) gives a dvi file
> (
> \executesystemcommand{texexec --pdf \bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex --once
> --batch}%
> gives a pdf
> )

that's weird because 'texexec file' without any parameter gives for me
pdf since many years and this is also what I got when I tried the
pstricks
module in the past

Wolfgang

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  9:53             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-07-13  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 13.07.2009 um 11:37 schrieb luigi scarso:
>
>> by default
>> \executesystemcommand{texexec \bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex --once --batch}%
>> (line 151 on page-app.tex) gives a dvi file
>> (
>> \executesystemcommand{texexec --pdf \bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex --once
>> --batch}%
>> gives a pdf
>> )
>
> that's weird because 'texexec file' without any parameter gives for me
> pdf since many years and this is also what I got when I tried the pstricks
> module in the past

This was changed a while back: texexec by default generates pdf these
days (I've been bitten by that as well)

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13  9:53     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-07-13  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

(I'm sorry, problems with computer, I'm afraid that I just sent an
empty reply ...)

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:23, R. Bastian wrote:

> I tried the example
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TikZ
>
> texexec compiled it but with an error on "coordinate"

I think it's best to ask the author. When compiling with MKIV (context
filename) it doesn't report any error, but it doesn't draw the line
either. I have no idea what could possibly go wrong.

You may uncomment these two lines
        \draw[important line,orange!80!black] (1,0) --
node[right=1pt,fill=white] {
                $\displaystyle \tan \alpha \black =
                \frac{{\red \sin \alpha}}{\blue \cos \alpha}$}
                (intersection of 0,0--30:1cm and 1,0--1,1) coordinate (t);
        \draw (0,0) -- (t);
and the rest should work. I mean: under normal usage, most things that
you'll want to try will work. If not, the author usually fixes the
bugs rather quickly.

(I was testing with ConTeXt  ver: 2009.06.14 21:01.)

Mojca

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13 10:02               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-13 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> > that's weird because 'texexec file' without any parameter gives for me
> > pdf since many years and this is also what I got when I tried the
> pstricks
> > module in the past
>
> This was changed a while back: texexec by default generates pdf these
> days (I've been bitten by that as well)

true nowadays
imho, it's better include pdf externalfigure made in traditional way .

--
luigi

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-13 10:29 ` Renaud Aubin
From: Renaud Aubin @ 2009-07-13 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

R. Bastian a écrit :
> 2. is there a way to translate Latex -> Context ?
>
> PS: i dont like metapost
Salut,

 From my humble experience, I have faced the very same dilemna (back in
2003) and... I have switched to metapost...
Did you try to use metapost + metaobj ? See sections 10.3 and 7.7 of
http://tex.loria.fr/prod-graph/momanual.pdf.

What's the complexity of your graphics? Did you use special pst-circ
stuffs or others?

If you choose "to get stuck" with pstricks because you don't like
metapost, you should use \externalfigure.

Renaud

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13 15:12       ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-07-13 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks for your answers.

I will compile the old figures in the traditional way and include
the pdf with \externalfigure

\usemodule[pstricks]
\startPSTRICKS
\stopPSTRICKS
does not work on my Minimal installation.

For the new figures, I must ... metapost, metaobj, tikz,
but also with pyx & reportlab.

@ 2009-07-13 16:03         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-13 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> but also with pyx & reportlab.

Beware of proper fonts inclusion when you use these tools .

--
luigi

* Re: from latex & pstricks to context
@ 2009-07-13 19:22           ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-07-13 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:03:19 +0200
luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> scribit:

> > but also with pyx & reportlab.
> >
> Beware of proper fonts inclusion when you use these tools

Yes, I suppose the best is to make figures without any font.

In my case, the canvas concept of pyx is a very good tool to draw
scores which expand over n pages.

@ 2009-07-13 21:01         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-13 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.07.2009 um 17:12 schrieb R. Bastian:

> Thanks for your answers.
>
> I will compile the old figures in the traditional way and include
> the pdf with \externalfigure
>
> \usemodule[pstricks]
> \startPSTRICKS
> \stopPSTRICKS
> does not work on my Minimal installation.

As I said the pstricks was never updated to changes in ConTeXt a few
years ago
where pdf was set as default output and with uninterested after the
module didn't
work at the first time this will never change.

Wolfgang