* ruby or perl or lua or ...
@ 2009-07-14 19:09 ivo welch
From: ivo welch @ 2009-07-14 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

hi hans---just curious.   do you plan conTeXt to use just one computer
language in the future?

/iaw

* Re: ruby or perl or lua or ...
@ 2009-07-14 19:23 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-07-14 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 21:09, ivo welch wrote:

> hi hans---just curious.   do you plan conTeXt to use just one computer
> language in the future?

(even though I'm not Hans ...)

No. At least TeX, lua and metapost will probably stay, so that already
adds to three languages :) :) :)

If talking about scripting (ruby, perl) ... in ideal world it should
all end up being lua only (until the next language comes to the
horizon), but there might not be enough motivation to rewrite *all*
the existing scripts, so some of the older scripts (texfont etc.) will
probably stay in ruby/perl for a while/forever unless somebody else
rewrites them or unless Hans will need them.

Mojca

* Re: ruby or perl or lua or ...
@ 2009-07-14 20:14 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-14 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

ivo welch wrote:
> hi hans---just curious.   do you plan conTeXt to use just one computer
> language in the future?

indeed. most useful script are already converted to lua (mtx-* files
that run on top of mtxrun); the advantage is that mtxrun has a built in
filedatabase handler (so we don't use kpsewhich at all) and is pretty fast

the only bit that is still depending on ruby is the index sorting that
is built in texexec (used by pdftex and xetex) but i could not motivate
myself to rewrite that bit

the luatx workflow only uses lua and uses luatex itself as lua
interpreter so there are no dependencies

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ruby or perl or lua or ...
@ 2009-07-14 20:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-14 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 21:09, ivo welch wrote:
>> hi hans---just curious.   do you plan conTeXt to use just one computer
>> language in the future?
>
> (even though I'm not Hans ...)
>
> No. At least TeX, lua and metapost will probably stay, so that already
> adds to three languages :) :) :)
>
> If talking about scripting (ruby, perl) ... in ideal world it should
> all end up being lua only (until the next language comes to the
> horizon), but there might not be enough motivation to rewrite *all*
> the existing scripts, so some of the older scripts (texfont etc.) will
> probably stay in ruby/perl for a while/forever unless somebody else
> rewrites them or unless Hans will need them.

we'll see how many context+pdftex users are around in a few years from
now; of course i'll have a few existing workflows that use pdftex (and
probably for many years) but one seldom needs to generate fonts for that

actually yesterday i had to update a pdftex based style and generate
tfm's for an ttf font and of course the font was so bugged that i needed
fontforge to turn it into a proper pfb file with adobe encoding; the
original had a completely messed glyph names; interesting is that
mkiv/luatex works ok with that font but of course the unicode vector in
the pdf will be flaky as well

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE