* alpha release
@ 2009-07-14 17:39 Hans Hagen
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-14 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I've put an alpha release on the website

- no beta as mkiv needs the trunk version of luatex
- a close to complete split in mkii/mkiv
- cleaned up mkiv code
- cleaned up mkiv backend (some pending issues)
- some speedups in mkiv
- a few fixes in mkii
- updated mkiv typescripts (more to come)
- fixes in mkiv structure

this version is not replicated on the context garden as we run older
luatex binaries there (0.45 release by the end of this month)

you can unzip this file on your locla tree but best first rename the
tex/context/base directory and make a fresh one as otherwise you end up
with a weird mixture (due to the definitive split in .mkii/.mkiv there
are not that many shared .tex files any more)

on the upcoming tex live there will be an updated mkii (either this one
or the current beta which is basically a current for mkii) and an old
mkiv (maybe the beta) or a new one but that one will not run then with
the luatex on texlive as it is too old; this is no big deal as you can
either use the minimals or use the new updater in the upcoming tex live
to fetch newer binaries (norbert and mojca showed that trickery at
bachotek 2009)

next on the mkiv agenda is an upgrade/rework of everything related to
page building but it might as well be postponed till we have a bit more
access (which will happen sometime after eurotex); the first priority is
to get the new structure related code right but as idris is already
publising books made by mkiv it's not that bad as it sounds.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-15  8:53 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-07-15  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 14, 2009, at 7:39 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've put an alpha release on the website

Hi Hans,

with the alpha and luatex 0.41, I get no hyphenation for Greek. The
pattern file is loaded, so it may be a problem with luatex itself.
Example:

\usetypescriptfile[type-gentium]
\usetypescript[gentium]
\setupbodyfont[gentium,12pt]

\starttext

{\agr \hyphenatedword{φιλοσοφία}}

\stoptext

Works with beta, not with alpha.

All best

Thomas

* alpha: mkii format problems
@ 2009-07-15  9:06 ` Peter Rolf
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-07-15  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

there are some minor problems with mkii.

syst-gen
syst-ext
syst-new

are loaded in 'context.mkii' (using \loadcorefile), but only the *.mkii
versions are present. Also

supp-eps

is loaded in 'supp-tpi.mkii', but only the *.mkii version is present. No
further (format) problems after changing that.

I couldn't test mkiv yet, as my mp special code must be adapted first.

Best wishes,  Peter

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-15  9:08 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-15  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.07.2009 um 19:39 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Hi
>
> I've put an alpha release on the website

Sorry to disturb you again but I have still problems with indices,
there is no longer a problem when there is only one after a header
but when I put there two or more extra whitespace is inserted.

\starttext

\chapter{Knuth}

\input knuth

\chapter{Zapf}\index{zapf}

\input zapf

\chapter{Tufte and Weisman}\index{tufte}\index{weisman} % extra
whitespace
%\chapter{Tufte and Weisman}\flushatnextpar{\index{tufte}
\index{weisman}} % works

\input tufte

\input weisman

\stoptext

Another question, is the feature in floats to create a empty caption
with
\placefigure{none}{...} now deprecated and \placefigure[none]{}{figure}
should be used or is it a bug when I get a error in combination with
interaction.

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\starttext
\placefigure{none}{figure} % error
%\placefigure[none]{}{figure} % no error
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: alpha: mkii format problems
@ 2009-07-15  9:54   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-15  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are some minor problems with mkii.
>
> syst-gen
> syst-ext
> syst-new
>
> are loaded in 'context.mkii' (using \loadcorefile), but only the *.mkii
> versions are present. Also
>
> supp-eps
>
> is loaded in 'supp-tpi.mkii', but only the *.mkii version is present. No
> further (format) problems after changing that.

ok, i'll fix it and do a new upload

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-15 12:04   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-07-15 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2009, at 7:39 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've put an alpha release on the website
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> with the alpha and luatex 0.41, I get no hyphenation for Greek. The
> pattern file is loaded, so it may be a problem with luatex itself. Example:
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gentium]
> \usetypescript[gentium]
> \setupbodyfont[gentium,12pt]
>
> \starttext
>
> {\agr \hyphenatedword{φιλοσοφία}}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Works with beta, not with alpha.

It works for me with a slightly older beta but not with alpha
(always with and the most recent luatex, 0.42.0)

To be precise, with the older version I get: φι-λο-σο-φία  which
looks like the right hyphenation to me.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-15 13:08   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-15 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

fix:

\def\setcurrentlanguage#1#2% sets modes: **id (currentmain) *id (current)
   {\edef\xaskedlanguage{#1}% otherwise clash with \askedlanguage
    \ifx\xaskedlanguage\empty \else

\ifx\currentmainlanguage\empty\else\resetsystemmode{\systemmodeprefix\currentmainlanguage}\fi
      \let\currentmainlanguage\xaskedlanguage
      \setsystemmode{\systemmodeprefix\currentmainlanguage}%
    \fi
    \edef\xaskedlanguage{#2}%
    \ifx\xaskedlanguage\empty \else
      \ifx\currentlanguage\empty\else\resetsystemmode\currentlanguage\fi
      \let\currentlanguage\xaskedlanguage
      \setsystemmode\currentlanguage
    \fi}

i'll make a new alpha later today

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-15 13:42     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-07-15 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:

> i'll make a new alpha later today
i'll take my chance and hijack this thread then...  :)

there is a c&p error in lpdf-grp.lua.

[..]
function lpdf.colorspec(model,ca,default)
    if ca and ca > 0 then
        local cv = colors.value(ca)
        if cv then
            if model == 1 then
                model = cv[1]
            end
            if model == 2 then
                return pdfarray { cv[2] }
            elseif model == 3 then
                return pdfarray { cv[3],cv[4],cv[5] }
            elseif model == 4 then
                return pdfarray { cv[6],cv[7],cv[8],cv[9] }
            elseif model == 4 then  -- *here*
                return pdfarray { cv[13] }
            end
        end
    end
    if default then
        return default
    end
end

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-15 13:53       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-15 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:

>            elseif model == 4 then
>                return pdfarray { cv[6],cv[7],cv[8],cv[9] }
>            elseif model == 4 then  -- *here*
>                return pdfarray { cv[13] }

did you test it with model == 5

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-15 13:57       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-15 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hans Hagen schrieb:
>>
>> i'll make a new alpha later today
> i'll take my chance and hijack this thread then...  :)
>
> there is a c&p error in lpdf-grp.lua.

since you're looking into lua code ... there is some new playground
(unfinished of course) ... (the true arg is just for pretty printing and
can be omitted)

context.chapter({ "label" }, "title", true)
context.chapter(function() return { "label" } end, "title", true)

context.startchapter({ title = "test" }, { more = "oeps" }, true)

context.starttext(true)
context.bTABLE(true)
for i=1,10 do
     context.bTR()
     for i=1,10 do
         context.bTD()
         context("%#2i",math.random(99))
         context.eTD()
     end
     context.eTR(true)
end
context.eTABLE(true)

context.stopchapter(true)
context.stoptext(true)

no syntax checking involved (yet), just some magic

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-15 14:09     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-07-15 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 15, 2009, at 2:04 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> It works for me with a slightly older beta but not with alpha
> (always with and the most recent luatex, 0.42.0)
>
> To be precise, with the older version I get: φι-λο-σο-φία
> which
> looks like the right hyphenation to me.

Yep, this is the right hyphenation. Works now with latest alpha;
thanks Hans and Taco!

Thomas

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-15 14:37         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-07-15 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>>            elseif model == 4 then
>>                return pdfarray { cv[6],cv[7],cv[8],cv[9] }
>>            elseif model == 4 then  -- *here*
>>                return pdfarray { cv[13] }
>
> did you test it with model == 5

no, i simply added a final 'else' here. and no tests yet... still trying
to understand the new code. i'm currently not in 'lua mode' and the
temperatures are melting my brain... ;)

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-16  7:28         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-16  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.07.2009 um 15:57 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Hans Hagen schrieb:
>>>
>>> i'll make a new alpha later today
>> i'll take my chance and hijack this thread then...  :)
>> there is a c&p error in lpdf-grp.lua.
>
> since you're looking into lua code ... there is some new playground
> (unfinished of course) ... (the true arg is just for pretty printing
> and can be omitted)

Nice feature to shorten code when some data comes from a lua table but
it did not work
when used in the lua environment, the code for the table appears only
on the terminal.

\starttext

some text

\startluacode

context.bTABLE(true)
for i=1,10 do
    context.bTR()
    for i=1,10 do
        context.bTD()
        context("%#2i",math.random(99))
        context.eTD()
    end
    context.eTR(true)
end
context.eTABLE(true)

\stopluacode

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-16 10:14           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-16 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 15.07.2009 um 15:57 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> Peter Rolf wrote:

>>> i'll take my chance and hijack this thread then...  :)
>>> there is a c&p error in lpdf-grp.lua.
>>
>> since you're looking into lua code ... there is some new playground
>> (unfinished of course) ... (the true arg is just for pretty printing
>> and can be omitted)
>
> Nice feature to shorten code when some data comes from a lua table but
> it did not work
> when used in the lua environment, the code for the table appears only on
> the terminal.

indeed, and there's also some problem with complex nesting which i kind
of solved (i'l do a talk about this at the context meeting)

(i'll make a new version that you can pick up from the ftp)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: alpha release
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-16 22:34 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-16 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.07.2009 um 19:39 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Hi
>
> I've put an alpha release on the website

layers are broken in mkiv (did not appear in the output, overlays did
work)

\definelayer[test][width=\paperwidth,heigth=\paperheight]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=test]

\setlayer[test][x=4cm,y=6cm]{text in a layer}

\starttext

text

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-16 22:48   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-16 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 14.07.2009 um 19:39 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> I've put an alpha release on the website
>
> layers are broken in mkiv (did not appear in the output, overlays
> did work)

forget about this, i saw this was fixed with the last alpha

Wolfgang

* Re: alpha release
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-19 18:51 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-07-19 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi experts,

Would someone please provide a basic recipe to correctly install the new alpha
release locally.  I would like to test the new alpha code but am a bit
confused as to what exactly to install and how.

1. "on the website", is this indeed
	http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/current/cont-tmf.zip
as
	http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-3.htm
currently lists as (not available)?

Should this be unzipped under /usr/local/context.alpha/tex/texmf-context
for example?

2. "no beta as mkiv needs the trunk version of luatex"
Does this mean
	http://foundry.supelec.fr/gf/download/frsrelease/350/1332/luatex-
snapshot-0.42.0.tar.bz2
to be compiled and then somehow installed into the local tree.

>From luatex-snapshot-0.42.0/INSTALL

> Post-compilation installation should be a simple matter
> of copying the executable to a normal place for web2c
> binaries and generating the desired formats.
>
> You may want to install the executable under the names
> 'texlua' and 'texluac' as well (create a copy or symlink)

I currently work with the contextgarden minimals.
Under the minimals, these are located at
	tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/texlua
	tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/texluac
on my machine.

Sorry for such basic questions.

Thanks

Alan

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 19:39:09 Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've put an alpha release on the website
>
> - no beta as mkiv needs the trunk version of luatex
> - a close to complete split in mkii/mkiv
> - cleaned up mkiv code
> - cleaned up mkiv backend (some pending issues)
> - some speedups in mkiv
> - a few fixes in mkii
> - updated mkiv typescripts (more to come)
> - fixes in mkiv structure
>
> this version is not replicated on the context garden as we run older
> luatex binaries there (0.45 release by the end of this month)
>
> you can unzip this file on your locla tree but best first rename the
> tex/context/base directory and make a fresh one as otherwise you end up
> with a weird mixture (due to the definitive split in .mkii/.mkiv there
> are not that many shared .tex files any more)
>
> on the upcoming tex live there will be an updated mkii (either this one
> or the current beta which is basically a current for mkii) and an old
> mkiv (maybe the beta) or a new one but that one will not run then with
> the luatex on texlive as it is too old; this is no big deal as you can
> either use the minimals or use the new updater in the upcoming tex live
> to fetch newer binaries (norbert and mojca showed that trickery at
> bachotek 2009)
>
> next on the mkiv agenda is an upgrade/rework of everything related to
> page building but it might as well be postponed till we have a bit more
> access (which will happen sometime after eurotex); the first priority is
> to get the new structure related code right but as idris is already
> publising books made by mkiv it's not that bad as it sounds.
>
> Hans

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-19 18:58   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-07-19 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> Would someone please provide a basic recipe to correctly install the new alpha
> release locally.  I would like to test the new alpha code but am a bit
> confused as to what exactly to install and how.

The alpha has now been merged with the beta and  so, ...

> I currently work with the contextgarden minimals.
> Under the minimals, these are located at
> 	tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/texlua
> 	tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/texluac
> on my machine.

just run first-setup.sh again.

Aditya

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-19 19:15     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-07-19 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 20:58, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>
>> Would someone please provide a basic recipe to correctly install the new
>> alpha
>> release locally.  I would like to test the new alpha code but am a bit
>> confused as to what exactly to install and how.
>
> The alpha has now been merged with the beta and  so, ...

True. Now you can either use beta or current and it should give you
the latest functionality for both ConTeXt and LuaTeX (2009.07.17,
0.42.0).

Alpha has disappeared in the meantime.

Mojca

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-19 19:19     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-07-19 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday 19 July 2009 20:58:19 Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> The alpha has now been merged with the beta and  so, ...
>
> just run first-setup.sh again.
>
> Aditya

Thanks.
I can do that!

-> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.06.14 21:01 MKIV  fmt: 2009.7.19  int: english/english
-> this is luatex, version beta-0.42.0-2009071807

OK

However, I was expecting

\usetypescript[postscript]
\starttext
default: $A = \pi r^2$
\switchtobodyfont[postscript]
postscript: $A = \pi r^2$
\stoptext

at least to be fixed. Not yet...

I'll continue other tests (and keep reading the mailing list).

Alan

* Re: alpha release
@ 2009-07-19 19:40       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-07-19 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 21:19, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Sunday 19 July 2009 20:58:19 Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> The alpha has now been merged with the beta and  so, ...
>>
>> just run first-setup.sh again.
>>
>> Aditya
>
> Thanks.
> I can do that!
>
> -> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.06.14 21:01 MKIV  fmt: 2009.7.19  int: english/english
> -> this is luatex, version beta-0.42.0-2009071807

I'm sorry, I forgot to uncomment a line, so there's actually a newer
version. By the time when you replied this has been fixed, but you
have probably synced earlier.

> However, I was expecting
>
> \usetypescript[postscript]
> \starttext
> default: $A = \pi r^2$
> \switchtobodyfont[postscript]
> postscript: $A = \pi r^2$
> \stoptext
>
> at least to be fixed. Not yet...

But it's not fixed in 2009.07.17 either, so updating won't help too much.

Mojca