* git repository
@ 2009-08-08  6:25 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2009-08-08  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I don't know if you have noticed that the git repository has been
replaced by a newer one. Due to the contradiction between the rather
linear development and the non-linear storage in the repository I have
chosen that all releases will be in a single branch 'master' and tagged
as stable or beta.

Please consider the git repository as experimental, at least until the
end of the conference in delft.

(see also:
<http://contextgarden.wordpress.com/2009/07/29/news-from-the-git-repository/>)

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: git repository
@ 2009-08-11 12:15 ` Matthijs Kooijman
From: Matthijs Kooijman @ 2009-08-11 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Patrick,

> I don't know if you have noticed that the git repository has been
> replaced by a newer one.

I'm surprised that there is even a git repository at all. On the wiki and all
documents I've seen so far, there is only talk about rsyncing from an ftp, git
is never mentioned.

However, looking at the contents of the git repository, it seems that this is
just a repository that automatically checks the files from the ftp every so
often? I was hoping for an actual git repository with commit messages to show
changes, but it seems the git repository isn't the primary version of context
(I guess Hans' local copy is)?

Gr.

Matthijs

* Re: git repository
@ 2009-08-11 12:51   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-11 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
>> I don't know if you have noticed that the git repository has been
>> replaced by a newer one.
>
> I'm surprised that there is even a git repository at all. On the wiki and all
> documents I've seen so far, there is only talk about rsyncing from an ftp, git
> is never mentioned.

these are different things:

- zips from www.pragma-ade.com: the official alpha, beta and current in
tds format
- svn on tex.aanhet.net and gforge: the zips submitted in an svn repos
- ftp on one of our machines: intermediate versions for the happy few
(non public)
- git on the garden: an experiment that started last context meeting and
will launch upcoming context meeting
- minimals: stand alone tex installations efficiently synced with rsync

> However, looking at the contents of the git repository, it seems that this is
> just a repository that automatically checks the files from the ftp every so
> often? I was hoping for an actual git repository with commit messages to show
> changes, but it seems the git repository isn't the primary version of context

well, such messages would not help much unless they would be detailed
(and then should be done for each file); as i work on all files at the
same time it would cost me way to much time and it gains me nothing;
looking at the diff in a git gui is more informative

> (I guess Hans' local copy is)?

the zips are built from my local dev tree which has a completely
different structure; reorganizing that all (sources, examples, manuals,
presentations, etc etc) would cost me a lot of time (as not all is
suitable for a repos), gains me nothing, and is no fun doing

if some huge project was paying for the effort i would consider doing it
but at the moment it simply does not pay off

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: git repository
@ 2009-08-11 13:42     ` Matthijs Kooijman
From: Matthijs Kooijman @ 2009-08-11 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> well, such messages would not help much unless they would be detailed
> (and then should be done for each file); as i work on all files at the
> same time it would cost me way to much time and it gains me nothing;
> looking at the diff in a git gui is more informative
A git commit contains changes to multiple files, with a single message, so if
you work on one logical change at a time, this should not be a problem.
Perhaps you are thinking of CVS, which (AFAIK) provides only per-file
versioning?

Also, even short messages like, "Added \foo command", or "Fixed \bar
alignment" would probably be helpful.

Then again, you are completely correct that there is some effort to be
invested to properly use a versioning system, especially if you're not used to
working with one. In my experience, having a versioning system like git (or
mercurial seems to be good as well) does pay off in the long run, but only if
you tune your development flow to work well with it.

Gr.

Matthijs

* Re: git repository
@ 2009-08-11 14:25       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
>> well, such messages would not help much unless they would be detailed
>> (and then should be done for each file); as i work on all files at the
>> same time it would cost me way to much time and it gains me nothing;
>> looking at the diff in a git gui is more informative
> A git commit contains changes to multiple files, with a single message, so if
> you work on one logical change at a time, this should not be a problem.
> Perhaps you are thinking of CVS, which (AFAIK) provides only per-file
> versioning?

sure, but i never change 'one file' per commit, often many small changes
in files (even typos or just formatting)

> Also, even short messages like, "Added \foo command", or "Fixed \bar
> alignment" would probably be helpful.

i've probably forgotten that by the time i submit a zip as there can be
quit esome time between a commit then

> Then again, you are completely correct that there is some effort to be
> invested to properly use a versioning system, especially if you're not used to
> working with one. In my experience, having a versioning system like git (or
> mercurial seems to be good as well) does pay off in the long run, but only if
> you tune your development flow to work well with it.

indeed, and we started on context way before there was git (and many
files are involved, not only tex files); changing now would probably
stall me for a while

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE