* leqslant for Cambria Math
@ 2009-08-13  2:26 Michail Vidiassov
From: Michail Vidiassov @ 2009-08-13  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

using Cambria + Cambria Math (\usetypescript[cambria] \setupbodyfont[cambria])
makes Unicode math input and typesetting instantly possible
(great for a newbie, even if not FSF-kosher) -
but for missing glyphs for leqslant\geqslant.

What is the right way to fix or work around such problems?
(Complaining to MS does not count).

         Sincerely, Michail

* Re: leqslant for Cambria Math
@ 2009-08-13  3:07 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-08-13  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Michail Vidiassov wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> using Cambria + Cambria Math (\usetypescript[cambria]
> \setupbodyfont[cambria])
> makes Unicode math input and typesetting instantly possible
> (great for a newbie, even if not FSF-kosher) -
> but for missing glyphs for leqslant\geqslant.

There is not much that we can do when the glyph is missing from the font.
In principle, we can create a fallback, but creating fallbacks for
each and every missing glyph is not really an option.

> What is the right way to fix or work around such problems?
> (Complaining to MS does not count).

The best solution that I can think of is

\let\leqslant=\leq

Then you will atleast get something meaningful.

Aditya

* Re: leqslant for Cambria Math
@ 2009-08-13  3:54   ` Michail Vidiassov
From: Michail Vidiassov @ 2009-08-13  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>> using Cambria + Cambria Math
>> makes Unicode math input and typesetting instantly possible
>> but for missing glyphs for leqslant\geqslant.
>
> There is not much that we can do when the glyph is missing from the font. In
> principle, we can create a fallback, but creating fallbacks for each and
> every missing glyph is not really an option.

"Not an option" - it impplies that there are many Unicode math fonts,
so one can not make workarounds for their individual glitches, but there
is only one quality Unicode Math font - Cambria Math, one collaborative
playground development version - Asana-Math and, soon to be released (for years),
STIX Fonts.
Or so I get it form a casual glance. Am I wrong?

@ 2009-08-13  4:20     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-08-13  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Michail Vidiassov wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>>> using Cambria + Cambria Math
>>> makes Unicode math input and typesetting instantly possible
>>> but for missing glyphs for leqslant\geqslant.
>>
>> There is not much that we can do when the glyph is missing from the font.
>> In principle, we can create a fallback, but creating fallbacks for each and
>> every missing glyph is not really an option.
>
> "Not an option" - it impplies that there are many Unicode math fonts,
> so one can not make workarounds for their individual glitches, but there is
> only one quality Unicode Math font - Cambria Math, one collaborative
> playground development version - Asana-Math and, soon to be released (for
> years), STIX Fonts.

The soon to be released (for about six months now) minion math, and gyre
math fonts to be started around the year end complete the list.

> Or so I get it form a casual glance. Am I wrong?

I am more concerned with the number of missing symbols. Where do we get
the fallback symbol from? We can code it in metapost, or use it from lm or
something else, but they will look ugly with rest of cambria.

Aditya

* Re: leqslant for Cambria Math
@ 2009-08-13  8:05   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-13  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Michail Vidiassov wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> using Cambria + Cambria Math (\usetypescript[cambria]
>> \setupbodyfont[cambria])
>> makes Unicode math input and typesetting instantly possible
>> (great for a newbie, even if not FSF-kosher) -
>> but for missing glyphs for leqslant\geqslant.
>
> There is not much that we can do when the glyph is missing from the
> font. In principle, we can create a fallback, but creating fallbacks for
> each and every missing glyph is not really an option.
>
>> What is the right way to fix or work around such problems?
>> (Complaining to MS does not count).
>
> The best solution that I can think of is
>
> \let\leqslant=\leq
>
> Then you will atleast get something meaningful.

at least we could start collecting missing bits and pieces (maybe a
dedicated wiki page) so that at some point we can decide which ones to
fill in with virtual glyphs (or take them from another font)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE