* Integration limits with Cambria Math
@ 2009-08-15 20:28 Michail Vidiassov
From: Michail Vidiassov @ 2009-08-15 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

if I process the following with
"ConTeXt  ver: 2009.08.14 10:48 MKIV/LuaTeX, Version beta-0.42.0-2009071723"
I get too much space between the integral sign and limits of integration.
Sum limits are positioned OK.
Without "cambria" lines integral is also fine.
---------------
\usetypescript[cambria]
\setupbodyfont[cambria]

\starttext

Inline $ \sum_{x=a}^{b}{f(x)g(x)}=\int_{a}^{b}{f(x)g(x)dx} $.
\startformula
  \sum_{x=a}^{b}{f(x)g(x)}=\int_{a}^{b}{f(x)g(x)dx}.
\stopformula

\stoptext

* Re: Integration limits with Cambria Math
@ 2009-08-16  8:06 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-08-16  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michail Vidiassov wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> if I process the following with
> "ConTeXt  ver: 2009.08.14 10:48 MKIV/LuaTeX, Version
> beta-0.42.0-2009071723"
> I get too much space between the integral sign and limits of integration.

> Is it a bug? Are there fixes/workarounds?

Do you recall whether this was ok earlier?

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Integration limits with Cambria Math
@ 2009-08-16 18:26   ` Michail Vidiassov
From: Michail Vidiassov @ 2009-08-16 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Taco,

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> I get too much space between the integral sign and limits of integration.
>> Is it a bug? Are there fixes/workarounds?
>
> Do you recall whether this was ok earlier?

  I did not use integral with limits before, I am new in ConTeXt land.

Sincerely, Michail

* Re: Integration limits with Cambria Math
@ 2009-08-16 19:08     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-08-16 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Michail Vidiassov wrote:

> Dear Taco,
>
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>> I get too much space between the integral sign and limits of integration.
>>> Is it a bug? Are there fixes/workarounds?
>>
>> Do you recall whether this was ok earlier?
>
> I did not use integral with limits before, I am new in ConTeXt land.

I think that the space is also excessive with context version 2009.07.17
and luatex -0.42.0-2009071807

I am attaching the output of

\usetypescript[cambria]
\setupbodyfont[cambria]

\starttext

\startTEXpage
$\displaystyle \int_a^b \int\limits_a^b$
\stopTEXpage

\stoptext

Aditya

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/pdf, Size: 23325 bytes --]

* Re: Integration limits with Cambria Math
@ 2009-08-17  9:07       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-08-17  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

While the space after the inlined subscripts does look excessive, it
faithfully matches the font's MATH table: the integrals in cambria math
have a massive italic correction even though they fit in their bounding
boxes quite nicely.

Maybe Word has a workaround for that, but at first glance it looks to
me like there is nothing we can do except complain to Microsoft.

Best wishes,
Taco

@ 2009-08-17 10:14         ` Michail Vidiassov
From: Michail Vidiassov @ 2009-08-17 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> While the space after the inlined subscripts does look excessive, it
> faithfully matches the font's MATH table: the integrals in cambria math
> have a massive italic correction even though they fit in their bounding
> boxes quite nicely.

> Maybe Word has a workaround for that, but at first glance it looks to
> me like there is nothing we can do except complain to Microsoft.

"We" as the developers, who do not consider non-general solutions, or
"we" as end-users, who can use non-kosher tricks and workarounds
(negative kerns and the like) to suit their limited private needs?

BTW, is there an ear in Microsoft open to such complaints?

          Sincerely, Michail

@ 2009-08-17 10:51           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-17 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michail Vidiassov wrote:

> "We" as the developers, who do not consider non-general solutions, or
> "we" as end-users, who can use non-kosher tricks and workarounds
> (negative kerns and the like) to suit their limited private needs?

in principle we can patch a font runtime in mkiv as there is a mechanism
for that but before we do so, we need to collect bugs and kep track of
fixed as well

> BTW, is there an ear in Microsoft open to such complaints?

that's why Ulrik is in the cc, as he investigated otf math and cambria
in-depth and is best qualified to tell us what to do cq. act as liason
with microsoft (a few years ago we had a nice evening-cabine-session at
bachotek where we looked at how ms word does math, which is quite
impressive btw)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-08-17 15:49         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-08-17 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While the space after the inlined subscripts does look excessive, it
> faithfully matches the font's MATH table: the integrals in cambria math
> have a massive italic correction even though they fit in their bounding
> boxes quite nicely.

Ok, Ulrik sent me a Word screenshot, and  it turns out that we are
(apparently) supposed to ignore the italic correction when a symbol
is used in 'mathematical contexts' as it is here (as opposed to
'textual contexts', both of which terms are yet-to-be-defined).

Finding a proper solution to this problem will not be easy. TeX82
solves the spacing problems by having math fonts (recognisable by
the lack of a space-width font dimension) as well as text fonts
(that do have a space-width dimension), but that split does not
exist in OpenType Math (as there is only one font).

Best wishes,
Taco