* \sometxt inside functions
@ 2009-08-22  8:05 Mojca Miklavec
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-22  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

is there some simple command to make the following work (in MKII)?
(I accept "Not interested since it works in mkiv" as a valid answer :)

\starttext

% makes sure that textext("") works; is there an equivalent for \sometxt?
\forceMPTEXcheck{drawA}

\startMPinclusions
	def drawA =
		draw fullcircle scaled 3cm;
		label.top(btex top etex, (0,5cm)); % OK
		label.rt(\sometxt{right}, (5cm,0)); % nothing
		label.bot(textext("bottom"), (0,-5cm)); % OK
	enddef;
\stopMPinclusions
\startMPcode
drawA;
\stopMPcode
\stoptext

Thanks,
    Mojca

* Re: \sometxt inside functions
@ 2009-08-22  8:15 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-22  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:05, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> is there some simple command to make the following work (in MKII)?
> (I accept "Not interested since it works in mkiv" as a valid answer :)

Well, not that it does work in MKIV, but that's for a different reason
(textext("") doesn't complain on error, but it doesn't work either):

! Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set.
l.1 ...{\relax \dontleavehmode \copy \strutbox $m$
                                                  }
<inserted text> ...igin); enddef; ;;]===], false)}

\processMPgraphic ...s ;\!!es , \MPaskedfigure )}}
                                                  \egroup \global \MPinstanc...
l.11 \stopMPcode

?

\starttext

\startMPinclusions
	def drawA =
		label.rt(\sometxt{\strut $m$}, origin);
	enddef;
\stopMPinclusions

\startMPcode
drawA;
\stopMPcode

\stoptext

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.43.0-2009081911
ConTeXt  ver: 2009.08.19 17:10 MKIV

@ 2009-08-22  8:53 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-08-22  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Hello Hans,
>
> is there some simple command to make the following work (in MKII)?
> (I accept "Not interested since it works in mkiv" as a valid answer :)
>
> \starttext
>
> % makes sure that textext("") works; is there an equivalent for \sometxt?

From what I understand about \sometxt in mkii, I don't think that
something like \forceMPTEXcheck can work for \sometxt. If drawA always
draws the same string, you can use \TeXtextts (see your MyWay on sometxt
;).

\forceMPTEXcheck{drawA}

\startTeXtexts
   \TeXtext{1000}{right}
\stopTeXtexts

\startMPinclusions
       def drawA =
               draw fullcircle scaled 3cm;
               label.top(btex top etex, (0,5cm)); % OK
               label.rt(sometxt(1000), (5cm,0)); % nothing
               label.bot(textext("bottom"), (0,-5cm)); % OK
       enddef;
\stopMPinclusions
\startMPcode
drawA;
\stopMPcode
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: \sometxt inside functions
@ 2009-08-22  8:56   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-08-22  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:05, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> Hello Hans,
>>
>> is there some simple command to make the following work (in MKII)?
>> (I accept "Not interested since it works in mkiv" as a valid answer :)
>
> Well, not that it does work in MKIV, but that's for a different reason
> (textext("") doesn't complain on error, but it doesn't work either):
>
> ! Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set.
> l.1 ...{\relax \dontleavehmode \copy \strutbox $m$
>                                                  }
> <inserted text> ...igin); enddef; ;;]===], false)}
>
> \processMPgraphic ...s ;\!!es , \MPaskedfigure )}}
>                                                  \egroup \global \MPinstanc...
> l.11 \stopMPcode
>
> ?
>

> \starttext
>
> \startMPinclusions
> 	def drawA =
> 		label.rt(\sometxt{\strut $m$}, origin);
> 	enddef;
> \stopMPinclusions
>
> \startMPcode
> drawA;
> \stopMPcode
>
> \stoptext
>
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.43.0-2009081911
> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.08.19 17:10 MKIV

Works fine here with

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.43.0-2009081914
ConTeXt  ver: 2009.08.19 17:10 MKIV  fmt: 2009.8.21  int: english/english

Aditya

* Re: \sometxt inside functions
@ 2009-08-22  9:43   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-22  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:53, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Hello Hans,
>>
>> is there some simple command to make the following work (in MKII)?
>> (I accept "Not interested since it works in mkiv" as a valid answer :)
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> % makes sure that textext("") works; is there an equivalent for \sometxt?
>
> From what I understand about \sometxt in mkii, I don't think that something
> like \forceMPTEXcheck can work for \sometxt. If drawA always draws the same
> string, you can use \TeXtextts (see your MyWay on sometxt ;).

:P

> \startTeXtexts
>  \TeXtext{1000}{right}
> \stopTeXtexts

I was blindly trying to optimize some old code that I need to reuse,
but I guess I'll just leave the btex ... etex there for a moment (or
just overlay text multiple times; it's used a finite number of times,
so I can live with that) :)

I am (or was) mainly using \TeXtext{}{} for dynamic strings (generated
by external TeX loop). I have never tried any static string inside
subroutine so far, so I completely forgot if there's a way to do it or
not.

For example, the following code works as expected (which kind of surprizes me):

\startMPinclusions
picture a;
\stopMPinclusions

\startMPcode
draw fullcircle scaled 3cm;
draw \sometxt{abc};
a := currentpicture;
draw a shifted (4cm,0);
\stopMPcode

as opposed to

\startMPinclusions
picture a;
draw fullcircle scaled 3cm;
draw \sometxt{abc};
a := currentpicture;
\stopMPinclusions

\startMPcode
draw a;
draw a shifted (4cm,0);
\stopMPcode

that only transfers image, but no text.

But when thinking about it, there might be a good reason that text is
not transferred from MPinclusions to MPcode. If I would change font
between MPinclusions and MPcode ...

Anyway ... no time to lose extra time on that issue now.

>> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.43.0-2009081911
>> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.08.19 17:10 MKIV
>
> Works fine here with
>
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.43.0-2009081914
> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.08.19 17:10 MKIV  fmt: 2009.8.21  int: english/english

Am I always the only one with a broken distribution? :P

Is there any link with installation instructions for minimals? :) :) :)

Mojca

PS: I tried to install from scratch and it indeed works. I tried to
delete the whole cache in the old installation and it is still broken.
The installation script is supposed to remove any old files with a few
exceptions. This might be an alarm that I need to fix something (maybe
not only on my machine, but also on the server), but I have no idea
yet what else could go wrong (I will try to inspect in September
unless someone else has some idea).

* Re: \sometxt inside functions
@ 2009-08-22 10:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-22 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca

> is there some simple command to make the following work (in MKII)?
> (I accept "Not interested since it works in mkiv" as a valid answer :)

Not interested since it works in mkiv and since aditya solved your mkii
problem.

I have no clue what could be wrong with your updated distribution
compared to the fresh install. It's all in a few files that have been
around for a while so no name clashes or so. Maybe something at the mp
end (although you removed the metafun format i guess and mkiv does not
use that format directly).

We can look into it september (far far away) unless it cripples your
thesis work in which case it can get more priority.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE